Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

3 minutes ago, Andymann said:

Probably the RC8 hey.  While they weren't all that successful there's not a lot of them around so they are unusual - which I think adds to the collector value.

The 999 is slowly increasing in value too but it's not as unusual or rare as the RC8.

Lastly GSX.

That would be my order

Thinking that route, no mention of the odd ball Harley?? I very much agree on the RC8. Having the 1190 S Adventure, man, I would love to twist that RC8’s throttle over the Outeniqua Pass!

Thanks for the input, there are so many really cool bikes around. There are a lot of machines that I think will hold value, but the special ones are rapidly becoming out of reach.  I love an early Beemer……..a ‘90’s RS will push R175000 right now, more costly than the RC8…….by several pairs of Pirelli’s!

Edited by Spokey
Content

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Spokey said:

Thinking that route, no mention of the odd ball Harley?? I very much agree on the RC8. Having the 1190 S Adventure, man, I would love to twist that RC8’s throttle over the Outeniqua Pass!

I actually missed the Harley.  I think the problem there is you might battle to sell it.  An investment bike is only as good as the market wanting to buy it and with KTM doing so well at the moment, your market of buyers will be so much bigger.  The Harley might get you more, but you will have to find the right buyer who really wants one.

I really would go with the RC8 if it's investment you're looking for.

1 hour ago, Spokey said:

Some insight from all you guys in the Hub Motorcycle fraternity. I mused about buying me a one last time new mid size Adventure bike but apart from all of that I have an opportunity to purchase a collectable motorcycle to add to ……well, my collection. Now, my bikes are old, well maintained and I believe should make a Randella or two……perhaps not and then I have it all wrong, I just have old bikes! 
I am not in the situation to purchase a CB1100R, or a RD500 but as an expensive bike for me in the correct price range, I have a chance on a Ducati 999, a KTM RC8 an air/ oil cooled GSX1100 from 1994 and out of left field (for me) a Harley XR1200. I am in lust with them all. I shall post pics.

If you guys have input, I would welcome it……….of course I may just go with a Katoom 990 (but a good one) 

Like I said before………struggle to make my mind up!!

The gsxr is water cooled. If it’s not then it ain’t a 94. 

of your list, and I am partial to ready to race KTM , I would take the Ducati, the rc8 , the gsxr and would not consider the Harley at all. Harleys are an acquired taste and the older sportster range not so easy to live with. 

2 hours ago, Spokey said:

Yeah, that was brutal. What a crash, yet I am perhaps one of the few who thinks he should still be there. Yes, undoubtedly he was way hot and exhibiting as much control on that Honda as I may have had, wink wink, but I think he has an inferior bike again and yet still possesses the desire to get back to the top. Frankly Pecco  makes it look like a walk in the park, those Ducatis are ridiculous. See how they blitzed the Katooms  down the straight! If my 1098 was a few years younger I would offer to 93!! Many will think I am incorrect. He does need a fair  punishment, you cannot just ride into peeps as you wish, heck, I don’t even ride into all the old farts in George who have no idea regarding traffic circles……heaven knows, I want to! Not on my bike…….my white Bakkie…….yes, I am one of those! Those old buggars are one of the main reasons I ride my 690, over the roundabout escape manoeuvre is a breeze! By the way…….old fart of 59 myself. 
On a serious note, yes, 93 looked a bit desperate but hell I like his appetite for racing. I hope Honda can lift their game a bit more and simultaneously reign in their man……just a tad. 
sorry for the ramble!

He was all over the place even prior to the crash. An accident waiting to happen and unfortunately took out 88. My mate at the track reckons the porras vloeked him stukkend on his ride to the pits. 

My heart says the Harley. But they are a acquired taste. From a "investment " point of view, I would go with the red one 😀 

On 3/27/2023 at 4:02 PM, Spokey said:

This is my conundrum, perhaps a mistake to look at any of them, but supported by a wife who loves bikes! 

IMO if you look at the Duc in isolation it's utterly gorgeous. It's only because of it's older and younger sisters that it's considered not so pretty.

Of the 4 I'd be happy with the RC8 and 999. I'd struggle to choose between the 2 but knowing myself I'd be happier pulling my lid on for the 999.

*Edit. You still have the 1098 right? In that case the RC8. Oh and **** YOU!

Edited by Duane_Bosch

41 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

This popped up on the Wild Dog Forum. Not sure what you budget is. All I know it is more than my budget.

Screenshot_20230331_151719_Chrome.jpg

Very special bike that, full of WSB trickery. Of the 500 there was 150 that were Uber special. If this one is one of those 150 then it’s a steal at 500k

Edited by IceCreamMan

14 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Brad. You beauty 

What a guy! I don't know what KTM are paying him but it's not enough. He's also consistently outclassed his much hyped teammate so far this year.

Like a biblical verse. He who will be first will be last. Sad result hey.  

Edited by IceCreamMan

On 3/31/2023 at 8:52 AM, Duane_Bosch said:

IMO if you look at the Duc in isolation it's utterly gorgeous. It's only because of it's older and younger sisters that it's considered not so pretty.

Of the 4 I'd be happy with the RC8 and 999. I'd struggle to choose between the 2 but knowing myself I'd be happier pulling my lid on for the 999.

*Edit. You still have the 1098 right? In that case the RC8. Oh and **** YOU!

Man, you made me laugh, my wife and dogs say that to me often!………just kidding. The RC8 is at Fire it Up in Josie. I have bought two bikes from them and both had serious problems. The ZRX1200 they sorted, the 1098 not. The Duke cost me a quite a bit of beer money. I do still have it, I do not ride it as often as I should. It really is a wonderful bike but I need to adjust the suspension to be a little more street friendly. After all, I can’t use the Outeniqua Pass as my race track all the time. The 999 is also in Josie, I feel a trip to the Highveldt in my near future!