Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

16 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Just my 2c. Yes the GS is big but that has advantages in wind and in visibility. Surprised to hear cars cut in on you but as you say, a loud exhaust and a couple spots should sort that. As mentioned by others it's not an enduro bike but then I wouldn't want to ride an enduro bike long distance. Swings, roundabouts etc. What others do on their GSs is irrelevant to you. If they want to buy one and never go off-road, so what? It's a great all-round bike and despite the pisstaking from riders of other bikes, will serve you well. The most important thing is to decide exactly what you want to do with it. 

Shotto ... it will be a daily ride wherever bike ... and maybe go explore the odd gravel road to start with when I go for a ride out.

I like picking a direction and going that way to see where the road takes me, on some of those roads there have been a gravel road or two that I wondered where it went to. Some gravel roads the Harley has done already, even with a pillion :P

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Just my 2c. Yes the GS is big but that has advantages in wind and in visibility. Surprised to hear cars cut in on you but as you say, a loud exhaust and a couple spots should sort that. As mentioned by others it's not an enduro bike but then I wouldn't want to ride an enduro bike long distance. Swings, roundabouts etc. What others do on their GSs is irrelevant to you. If they want to buy one and never go off-road, so what? It's a great all-round bike and despite the pisstaking from riders of other bikes, will serve you well. The most important thing is to decide exactly what you want to do with it. 

valid point, its yo money , how you spend it is up to you. Simple. 

12 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

So good to see someone with taste like mine. I have an Aeropress Go and am making plans to ride up past you sometime in March to go up Swartberg pass and make myself a coffee up there.  So looking forward to it.

https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/product/aeropress-go

I may even be in SA as there is a chance will be sent home during Ramadan (10 March for a month). I head to Swartburg Pass 6 to 8 times a year……love it there.  Would be good to join if you fancy company! I ride all over the Klein Karoo when I get home off contract.

That would be great. I'll be sure to check with you before I set a date. We'll have to fight over the coffee though. Aeropress only makes enough for one cup at a time. :lol:

On 1/20/2024 at 6:53 AM, sawystertrance said:

Hairy, just a thought. Given your preference for shaft drive - a wise one I might add - have you considered a Yamaha Super Tenere? Good reliable bikes and I think you should get one for less than a GS. Just a thought..Unless you have reasons for preferring the GS.

Edit:

https://wilddog.net.za/threads/supere-tenere-for-sale.275942/

LOL .. thanks for the links.

Went to builders over the weekend and saw a older guy walking to a ST, so I stopped him to have a quick 30min chat (My was not amused) and left with mixed feelings about it. Need to do a little more homework on my side.

I think with me looking at the older GS models for a first stab at this bike format, the resale on the GS should be good in a year or two when I would then be certain as to investing in it with a new or demo model bike, or if I will move to another genre of motorcycling.

With the above in mind, I think a BMW will sell again faster than the Super Tenere. 

Had a lekker day out yesterday at Dirt and Dust...

Headed out with a mate and his kids and their bikes and a few kids who've never ridden before... Very windy, dusty and hot but grins all round...

WhatsAppImage2024-01-22at09_36.57_68e046ae.jpg.3a7d425c0c62197638c3e4e7aa543b91.jpg

WhatsAppImage2024-01-21at14_54.46_7df25ce7.jpg.c9e63ed61f55a3cf373324c2e56307cc.jpg

Think he's nearly too big for this bike now...

And then I took him for a spin on one of the older kids 125's... Whole time in my head I'm going, "Don't crash, cos your wife will kill you! Don't crash, cos your wife will kill you!" 😂

22 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I think with me looking at the older GS models for a first stab at this bike format, the resale on the GS should be good in a year or two when I would then be certain as to investing in it with a new or demo model bike, or if I will move to another genre of motorcycling.

With the above in mind, I think a BMW will sell again faster than the Super Tenere. 

All good logic and quite true. Just as a matter of interest what was discussed with the ST owner to give you mixed feelings?

10 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

All good logic and quite true. Just as a matter of interest what was discussed with the ST owner to give you mixed feelings?

He said the bike turns in very suddenly where he (Had a GS before) found the GS to handle better a slower speeds on the trail ... so I understood it.

Loves his bike though, and it sounds like he takes her on many a romantic dirt adventure.

EDIT: The other factor in my mind is that there are a gazillion GS bikes out on the trails, with the service centers and spares to sustain this mass of vehicles vs far less numbers of ST bikes. Following the hitches to get spares for the HD, my logic leans towards a simpler life with the GS from a maintenance and accessories point of view.

Edited by Hairy

3 hours ago, Stoffel76 said:

Had a lekker day out yesterday at Dirt and Dust...

Headed out with a mate and his kids and their bikes and a few kids who've never ridden before... Very windy, dusty and hot but grins all round...

WhatsAppImage2024-01-22at09_36.57_68e046ae.jpg.3a7d425c0c62197638c3e4e7aa543b91.jpg

WhatsAppImage2024-01-21at14_54.46_7df25ce7.jpg.c9e63ed61f55a3cf373324c2e56307cc.jpg

Think he's nearly too big for this bike now...

And then I took him for a spin on one of the older kids 125's... Whole time in my head I'm going, "Don't crash, cos your wife will kill you! Don't crash, cos your wife will kill you!" 😂

Surprised that Italjet still has a front mudguard, ours didn't last very long.  I think I was about 4 years old, couldn't ride a bicycle without training wheels when my uncle pitched up on a Saturday afternoon and hauled a brand new red Italjet out of the boot of his car.  That little bike took a lot of abuse and caused our mom a lot of grey hair.  

There are a couple of them in the bike museum in Knysna (2 little 50's and a JC50, which is the slightly bigger, more powerful version).