Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

post-52292-0-02433400-1507961036_thumb.png

Trying out my new GL saddle bags. Just enough for some tyre levers, tubes, inflation cans, and some spanners. I like how they strap down tight and the weight is not too high. Backpack for water and scoff. Seems to be working well for my day jols into the Klein Karoo.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the worst thing happened today. Went to the shop with the moto mia. When I got home I heard something dripping.... Petrol dripping from the tank. It somehow cracked /rusted/ or rubbed through. I am so angry at this stage. 

What are your takes on the BMW f650gs?

I had the Dakar version, awesome bike accept for smallish tank, would have liked to have a bigger tank but because the tank was under your seat it would have needed some serious thinking on what to do regarding more fuel.

attachicon.gifIMG_0302.PNG

Trying out my new GL saddle bags. Just enough for some tyre levers, tubes, inflation cans, and some spanners. I like how they strap down tight and the weight is not too high. Backpack for water and scoff. Seems to be working well for my day jols into the Klein Karoo.

I understand/heard (unconfirmed) that the KLR650 is no longer going to be imported which would be bad for the more basic bike business where one can basically service the bikes by yourself? The KLR is still on my bucket list, I love the simplicity of the bike and the bigger fuel tank than most other duel 600-650cc bikes.

Went onto a KLR owners club website (think it was the USA one) yesterday, they really have done some nice mods on some of them.

So I was over struggling, and went to trusted old gumtree. Found a 2007 f650gs with 37000 km on the clock. So I took it. Not original BMW handle bars and the one panel was resprayed. Only problem with it is the dails start a bit low. They work correctly, just starts at the wrong place.

Took it on a 100 km run yesterday, what a blast. Exactly what I wanted and expected.

post-63046-0-35075700-1508061586_thumb.jpeg

post-63046-0-05989200-1508061855_thumb.jpg

So I was over struggling, and went to trusted old gumtree. Found a 2007 f650gs with 37000 km on the clock. So I took it. Not original BMW handle bars and the one panel was resprayed. Only problem with it is the dails start a bit low. They work correctly, just starts at the wrong place.

Took it on a 100 km run yesterday, what a blast. Exactly what I wanted and expected.

They are nice, what did you pay?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Went onto a KLR owners club website (think it was the USA one) yesterday, they really have done some nice mods on some of them.

They have quite a cult following over there. Mine has some good mods. The fork springs are upgraded. Progressive and much longer than stock. It runs a Leo Vinci pipe and DNA air filter. I have 3 filters, change them after about 200 to 500 kms of dirt riding depending on conditions. I can do 380 k to reserve which is great for where I ride. The alloy bash plate and crash bars are very good. Both have protected the bike. It also has a headlight guard. I have replaced cracked bike lights before, it is expensive!

I lust after a new Africa Twin but I do like the simplicity of the KLR tractor!

They have quite a cult following over there. Mine has some good mods. The fork springs are upgraded. Progressive and much longer than stock. It runs a Leo Vinci pipe and DNA air filter. I have 3 filters, change them after about 200 to 500 kms of dirt riding depending on conditions. I can do 380 k to reserve which is great for where I ride. The alloy bash plate and crash bars are very good. Both have protected the bike. It also has a headlight guard. I have replaced cracked bike lights before, it is expensive!

I lust after a new Africa Twin but I do like the simplicity of the KLR tractor!

Yes the new Africa Twin is a beauty but prices are serious.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I wish I could show more progress, but this was my weekend.  If you look carefully you will see bits of gearbox on the table, probably removed and replaced it 20 times.  Bastard thing will not shift nicely.  And the clutch is also a pain to set up.

post-15215-0-45577300-1508135906_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-93656200-1508135915_thumb.jpg

Hell I don't know.  Everything is worn, and there are so many different combinations of parts from the different models you never know if you have the right ones.

The clutch operates with three small cylindrical pushrods - there are three different lengths, and they were selected for the three different types of clutch, which, you guessed it look identical, and have absolutely no part numbers anywhere.

It's really becoming a hit and miss scenario!

There are quite a number of these for sale and they are apparently bomb proof.Do they suit a shorter rider or taller?

I really like the look of them and the reports

Those gearboxes can be a real pita, I found one of the 1st generation Dt250 a good few years ago, it ran well but wouldn't shift into 5th gear, split the crankcase so many times trying to work out why, would shift fine when stationary and then not at speed, eventually gave up and sold the bike as is.

Edited by Skylark