Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I saw two guys in blouberg with these bikes yesterday morning., I drove past so didn't get a clear view of the engine size but the bikes looked in pristine condition from what I could see. I only noticed them because you guys have been talking about them

Those must be the same okes I see around Durbanville on weekends.

Always together, both bikes looks top notch, and they don't ride them hard at all.

Red bikes are always the fastest

Must admit, I was a 55kg maargat at that time. Not much for the bike to lug around.

Those must be the same okes I see around Durbanville on weekends.

Always together, both bikes looks top notch, and they don't ride them hard at all.

probably them

Andymann, I ran a 21sec quarter mile with that thing at Tarlton. Up to today I can see the look of amazement on the face of the driver of the Ford XR3 I beat.

He was still wheelspinning when I already pulled about 50m on him. He never caught up again.

:D

I gave a guy in a Jaguar XKR a big fright on my DT200 about a year ago.  He was driving with his chicky with the roof down trying to impress her and he got a nose-full of burnt Motul Synthetic.  Granted it only lasted up to about 80 before he came blasting past but up to then he wasn't getting even close....

And on the weekend I took the Velo 500 out for a spin - came to the bottom traffic light of January Masilela (the old Louis Botha) and happened upon a KTM390 - ok I did have 110cc advantage, an open pipe, an open carb, and possibly a jumped start, but I pulled him all the way up the hill to the Hans Strijdom light......not bad for an old timer!

I used to ride a lot of different bikes, xr200, xr500, xt550, xl500, gs650 dakar, 1150Gs and now my son, almost 16 wants one. Will a xr125 or xr150 or what else in that engine size will be ok and 2nd hand what price can I expect to pay? I've been out of the bike game for a few years.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I think for a DT that's a little steep - He's probably quoted on an entire new barrel, piston and crank. I rebuild DT's and they can be done on a very tight budget.....

I've been itching to get another Dt175, such awesome bikes that anyone can work on, the price I was referring to was for a rebore of the cylinder and rebuild of the crank, I also thought the price was a little excessive.

What ballpark figure at Yamaha's typical retail spares prices could you do a rebore + piston + gaskets/seals + crank rebuild for on a Dt175?

I used to ride a lot of different bikes, xr200, xr500, xt550, xl500, gs650 dakar, 1150Gs and now my son, almost 16 wants one. Will a xr125 or xr150 or what else in that engine size will be ok and 2nd hand what price can I expect to pay? I've been out of the bike game for a few years.

XR125 is a brilliant little bike, so to XTZ125 (if you can find one!) - XR150's are also very nice but remember if he is 16 he's not really allowed to ride it - the cops wouldn't know the difference, but if he's in an accident and they do an investigation he will always be in the wrong and your insurance will most likely not pay

XR125 is a brilliant little bike, so to XTZ125 (if you can find one!) - XR150's are also very nice but remember if he is 16 he's not really allowed to ride it - the cops wouldn't know the difference, but if he's in an accident and they do an investigation he will always be in the wrong and your insurance will most likely not pay

O I thought at 16 one my ride the 150cc, so the 125cc it must be then. Thanks

I've been itching to get another Dt175, such awesome bikes that anyone can work on, the price I was referring to was for a rebore of the cylinder and rebuild of the crank, I also thought the price was a little excessive.

What ballpark figure at Yamaha's typical retail spares prices could you do a rebore + piston + gaskets/seals + crank rebuild for on a Dt175?

A piston kit for a DT is at most R2000 (R1300 at NS 2-stroke) -   A rebore shouldn't cost you more than R500 and a conrod kit is R1350.  You can use standard SKF main bearings at R160 each and seals are probably another R400 (use genuine parts).  you're probably in for R5000 in parts.  Crank rebuild probably another R1000.  I doubt very much if you do it yourself, total engine rebuild will cost more than R6000

O I thought at 16 one my ride the 150cc, so the 125cc it must be then. Thanks

That was the argument we had when we brought in the R150's - the old 2-stroke 125's were pushing 28kw while the R15 was closer to 18kw.  But because they were 150cc and not 125cc 16yo's were not allowed to ride them.

Crazy

A piston kit for a DT is at most R2000 (R1300 at NS 2-stroke) - A rebore shouldn't cost you more than R500 and a conrod kit is R1350. You can use standard SKF main bearings at R160 each and seals are probably another R400 (use genuine parts). you're probably in for R5000 in parts. Crank rebuild probably another R1000. I doubt very much if you do it yourself, total engine rebuild will cost more than R6000

Thanks Andyman, that sounds more like it.

How often should a Dt175 be rebuilt to keep them reasonably peppy, every 30,000km or so, that's with careful moderate riding?

That's a tough one - many different variables. Even though they will run on 87 Octane and used fish oil (Zambia and Malawi!) it pays though to use decent stuff here - I only use OEM Air filters and proper 2-stroke - either Motul or Yamalube. So under Ideal conditions, a set of rings every 15000km I'm guessing.  Maybe a piston at 30000Km.  Cranks should last for ages -  that Engine is so under-stressed they will run for ever - I've seen a DT on 80000km still on the original crank - it was a 125 though.  My 200 is on 48000km and it's still running the original crank.  But it's also had a really easy life and sadly barely makes it out of the garage :-(

post-15215-0-30917000-1517910901_thumb.jpg