Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I have not ridden ( or even started ) my BMW F800 ST for 2-3 years. Battery was removed and is on permanent trickle charge. What will the starting procedures be after checking the fluids ?

change the oil and fuel, connect your battery, spray easy start into the air intake and start? 

I am no pro so don't do this before confirming with andyman. 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Andymann, you are a Yammie man.

What can you tell me about a TRX850. Want to know the good, the bad and the ugly please..........

Ahhhh - the Yamacati :-)  A v-twin that wasn't a v-twin lol - that whole cross-plane R1 thing was started with the TDM/TRX - basically Yamaha built a V-twin engine with a zero degree v-angle - so it looks like a twin but sounds like a 748 -  oh so lovely.  And a Trellis frame that was also very unlike Yamaha at the time.

Probably 20 years before their time they are really really nice - the forums reckon Yamaha made a huge mistake not developing them further- not particularly fast, but handle brilliantly and are very popular now (if you can find one!).  The only negative that I have heard is that their cranks are a little soft, but I'll need to read up again, and the front forks are a bit iffy.

They were never officially imported into SA so you might battle a bit locally to get parts, and being over 15 years some will be discontinued but the engine is the same as the TDM850 which we did bring in so engine parts I reckon you will be fine.

If you don't want it let me know where it is hiding :-)

change the oil and fuel, connect your battery, spray easy start into the air intake and start? 

I am no pro so don't do this before confirming with andyman. 

Haha - I'm also no pro hey!  Just an enthusiast who is too chicken to work on his bicycle - took me almost 2 hours to replace bar tape last night....

If you've checked all the fluids like you say then just check that the air filter element is still all good - sometimes the rubber seals perish.

Stick in the battery and I reckon it will start pretty quickly - these modern FI engines are pretty good that way.

MAybe consider doing a service after you have got it going again - Oil, oil filter, brake fluid flush -the usual stuff

Ahhhh - the Yamacati :-) A v-twin that wasn't a v-twin lol - that whole cross-plane R1 thing was started with the TDM/TRX - basically Yamaha built a V-twin engine with a zero degree v-angle - so it looks like a twin but sounds like a 748 - oh so lovely. And a Trellis frame that was also very unlike Yamaha at the time.

Probably 20 years before their time they are really really nice - the forums reckon Yamaha made a huge mistake not developing them further- not particularly fast, but handle brilliantly and are very popular now (if you can find one!). The only negative that I have heard is that their cranks are a little soft, but I'll need to read up again, and the front forks are a bit iffy.

They were never officially imported into SA so you might battle a bit locally to get parts, and being over 15 years some will be discontinued but the engine is the same as the TDM850 which we did bring in so engine parts I reckon you will be fine.

If you don't want it let me know where it is hiding :-)

Thanks Andy, can get a deal where I trade my 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC for 2 TRXs, plus a cash adjustment but while I thought I would do it I am really battling to make the final decision.

Cant find a single bad review anywhere on the TRX.

I really like the look and rides well, but so does the Tiger......

Lol - I saw the ad.  They seem pretty good hey.  I have a mag with a UK launch test and that bike had a white frame - I figured if I ever bought one, I would want one with a white frame....

Let me know if you decide not to take them - I might actually go and look

Lol - I saw the ad.  They seem pretty good hey.  I have a mag with a UK launch test and that bike had a white frame - I figured if I ever bought one, I would want one with a white frame....

Let me know if you decide not to take them - I might actually go and look

I wouldn't mind seeing the article as the owner said the white frame was not original......

YAMAHA_TRX850_1995.jpg

And now HONDA is bragging with the NC motor that is tilted forward to free up space. 

Meanwhile it was done in the 80s already

How can you do that to your baby? 

If you send her down, ill keep her warm for you!! 

Retirement is a bitch. Suffered from depression for at least the first year.Used the BMW to commute to work , whole year round. MTB kept me sane. Slowly getting a grip on life again.

My son was over the moon with excitement when he got home after school on Thursday afternoon and the bike was at home already. Already rode 30km in a 500m area, small enough area to be able to learn how to handle the bike at low speeds.0bd6d85476f4345146a52ab8c5639f76.jpga5615958f673a39d3c9307a2370ae9fb.jpg85e8a3b907faca00f78cb5d7e2ce46ce.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by BSG

My son was over the moon with excitement when he got home after school on Thursday afternoon and the bike was at home already. Already rode 30km in a 500m area, small enough area to be able to learn how to handle the bike at low speeds.0bd6d85476f4345146a52ab8c5639f76.jpga5615958f673a39d3c9307a2370ae9fb.jpg85e8a3b907faca00f78cb5d7e2ce46ce.jpg

And so many fantastic dirt roads to ride in your area, he will really enjoy it!

Lekker BSG; those first bikes are sooo good; freedom and fun.

Try get some training for him (I went to a Country Trax thing a few years ago and learnt plenty, even after 30 years of riding dirt bikes) and ATGATT, unless you have this covered.

And so many fantastic dirt roads to ride in your area, he will really enjoy it!

I know I enjoyed riding them when I had my bike, luckily I'm forced now to get one for myself as well.????[emoji41]