Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any known problems? does it need to be reset after a service? 

Yes it does. No known problems as far as I know. Only issue I had was with the gear indicator but that was to do with the sensor on the shifter.

Friend of mine has both the 390 and 690 KTM Duke. (don't ask  :whistling: ) and he complains that parts on it is quite expensive. A simple fall of the stand cost him (the insurance) quite a few bob to repair.

I  found the opposite.  Thought the parts on the 390 were pretty cheap apart from the piston. 

Head Gasket - R270

Brake Lever - R220

Tank Cap - R230

Bar Ends - R140

Piston, Rings, Head Gasket and Bottom Gasket - R4850

I  found the opposite.  Thought the parts on the 390 were pretty cheap apart from the piston. 

Head Gasket - R270

Brake Lever - R220

Tank Cap - R230

Bar Ends - R140

Piston, Rings, Head Gasket and Bottom Gasket - R4850

BMW bar end = 550 for one.....

An oil change on a bike is such a simple job I'd rather halve the service interval and change the oil myself and still save a good grand too boot, especially considering fresh oil will save seals and reduce wear so could very easily also make the cost of ownership cheaper in the long run.

An oil change on a bike is such a simple job I'd rather halve the service interval and change the oil myself and still save a good grand too boot, especially considering fresh oil will save seals and reduce wear so could very easily also make the cost of ownership cheaper in the long run.

I am doing exactly the same thing. My BMW does not need a reset after the service, so it is do-able. 

Yes it does. No known problems as far as I know. Only issue I had was with the gear indicator but that was to do with the sensor on the shifter.

Is there a way to reset it at home, or do you need to take it somewhere? 

Is there a way to reset it at home, or do you need to take it somewhere? 

Not 100% sure, but 99% sure that you can do it yourself.

If I am able to do it on my MV Agusta which is packed with electronics, then i'm sure you can do it on the ktm. It's usually just a combination of buttons. 

If it's the service interval you're wanting to set, try here:

Something not in the manual. The next service due is shown on the matrix display when you first turn on the key. To reset the km or months until next service

- hold the up and down buttons and turn on the ignition
- continue to hold the up and down buttons until the display cycles through all the menus
- continue to hold the up and down buttons when the setting menu is reached
- after a few seconds the settings menu will change to allow you to choose the kms and months until next service.
- You can now let go of the up and down buttons
- Use the "set" button to increase the numbers. Keep going and the kms and months will cycle back around to 0 if you go past your choice.

There is a slightly simpler procedure - Turn on ignition, push up or down to clear the 'Service' warning, then go the the Settings page. Now hold the up/down buttons - a new menu will appear allowing reset of the date or miles to the next service. On my 2014 1190R, I did not have to push the up/down buttons first before turning on the ignition.

I had to go through the service reset procedure because the dealer 'forgot' to set the proper time and date on the computer (set at 2013). When I entered the correct date and exited the menu, the computer immediately thought the bike was due for service.

http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/adventure/22770-resetting-service-interval-1190-adventure.html

Do you not keep an owner's manual which you keep updated? Not planning to re-sell?

No bought the bike second hand without a service manual. Bike had 35 000 km on it. 

6 months later it is on 47 000 km

I am considering selling the GS and getting a KTM, I just don't want a bike, ride it for 6 months and then park it because it is to expensive to run .

I'm not sure that the KTM would work out cheaper by enough of a margin to warrant buying it on that basis. All bikes cost and are a luxury. you buy it because it has one or more characteristics that appeal to you. Yes, of course price is a factor but I don't think it is the decider.

Other opinions here?

And perhaps an annual running cost for each bike is a more accurate way of assessing what you're in for, rather than individual items.

I'm not sure that the KTM would work out cheaper by enough of a margin to warrant buying it on that basis. All bikes cost and are a luxury. you buy it because it has one or more characteristics that appeal to you. Yes, of course price is a factor but I don't think it is the decider.

Other opinions here?

And perhaps an annual running cost for each bike is a more accurate way of assessing what you're in for, rather than individual items.

KTM = Keeps Taking Money!

If you looking for something with cheap running costs then look Japanese. 2nd hand parts are easy to find.

The KTM is perfect until something breaks. If it does, depending on what it is and who you get to fix is, could cost lots in the end.

Running costs are around the same as anything else. Tires are Tires, Chains and sprockets are around the same price. 

I loved my RC390 but I bought it from someone who neglected to tell me that the engine case was cracked. 4 months and 25K later, I cut my losses and sold it as it is, with the oil leak. But I sleep well at night knowing that I was upfront and honest with the buyer about what is wrong.