• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From my old mate Alan North at Yamaha - 

Hi Andy

Thanks for the photo’s.

I was racing overseas at this stage, but the #76 Yamaha is the TZ750.

I think it could be Dirk du Plooy riding it, and #77 is Les van Breda on the Suzuki.

Cheers.

My parents are moving to a retirement complex so there's a big clean-out happening.  My Dad was tossing these - I think he must have gone to Roy Hesketh sometime in the late 70's or early 80's.  My guess is No.7 is Dave Petersen, and I reckon No. 76 is a TZ750.

I remember growing up as a kid and hearing the bike flying around the track.

Quick question guys.

I want to paint my bikes wheels a different colour to the black. So standard I believe they may, or may not, have come out with white wheels as the frame is white with red body-kit.

Problem is I really don't want to be cleaning the wheels every 2nd day to keep them looking white.

Googling complimentary colours it seem cyan is the best fit, after white.

What are your opinions, keeping in mind yellow or gold is not an option please!!!

Quick question guys.

I want to paint my bikes wheels a different colour to the black. So standard I believe they may, or may not, have come out with white wheels as the frame is white with red body-kit.

Problem is I really don't want to be cleaning the wheels every 2nd day to keep them looking white.

What are your opinions, keeping in mind yellow or gold is not an option please!!!

Pic of the bike.....

My colour matching skills is not what it should be. but why don't you chrome your rims? 

It is a very nice bike!

Referring back to my post^^^^ I don't see any shade of cyan working with red and white. 

What about a nice orange? 

I always wanted one of these - nearly bought one for R 35k in 2002:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/192693578247771

There are some great investments out there if you really look at the return on some of these bikes. that RZ500 and this 250 will only increase in value...

My feeling is that the RZ has probably reached a plateau in terms of price - I think if you really wanted to make good money (like the guy who bought my YPVS for R50K and sold it for R130k) then you needed to be on the money 4 or 5 years ago.  I'm not so sure an RZ500 bought now for R200K will increase in value by 160% in the next 5 years.  You won't lose money, but if I was looking to invest, I would look at what will be desirable for today's 16yo's when they turn 40 in 2042 - my gut feel?  First generation R1, 2006 R6, any superbike before 2008 when the nannys started messing with emission rules. First edition BMW S1000RR.....

Quick question guys.

I'm going to have mine done back to white as soon as I have a gap - I had white wheels on my RD at varsity - I used a paint called Glatex 8 - a polyurethane.  Just used to wipe them clean every week or so.

My feeling is that the RZ has probably reached a plateau in terms of price - I think if you really wanted to make good money (like the guy who bought my YPVS for R50K and sold it for R130k) then you needed to be on the money 4 or 5 years ago.  I'm not so sure an RZ500 bought now for R200K will increase in value by 160% in the next 5 years.  You won't lose money, but if I was looking to invest, I would look at what will be desirable for today's 16yo's when they turn 40 in 2042 - my gut feel?  First generation R1, 2006 R6, any superbike before 2008 when the nannys started messing with emission rules. First edition BMW S1000RR.....

THere are some perennial favourites. I am not fascinated by the returns but would also like to have the classics that are likely to become collectables.

FWIW:

Seems like any CB 750 Honda is seen as collectible. Especially the older K0 variants (8 valve)

CBR 1100 RC and the series

CBX 1000 Magnum Honda

RD 350 and an old RD 400 - i saw new ones at Linex about two years ago

My list would include an original Fireblade, definitely some of the more collectable Ducatis and then also large bore two stroke MX bikes like the CR 450F etc, air or liquid cooled.

Ducatis have their own gravity and the more exotic ones are already classics.

Definitely agree on the S1000 RR and then possibly the Super Dukes as its where the pinnacle of horsepower has kind of dropped off.

I would add a Hayabusa as well as its a one of a kind craziness...

THere are some perennial favourites. I am not fascinated by the returns but would also like to have the classics that are likely to become collectables.

FWIW:

Seems like any CB 750 Honda is seen as collectible. Especially the older K0 variants (8 valve)

CBR 1100 RC and the series

CBX 1000 Magnum Honda

RD 350 and an old RD 400 - i saw new ones at Linex about two years ago

My list would include an original Fireblade, definitely some of the more collectable Ducatis and then also large bore two stroke MX bikes like the CR 450F etc, air or liquid cooled.

Ducatis have their own gravity and the more exotic ones are already classics.

Definitely agree on the S1000 RR and then possibly the Super Dukes as its where the pinnacle of horsepower has kind of dropped off.

I would add a Hayabusa as well as its a one of a kind craziness...

I forgot the KTM RC8.....there's a future classic if ever there was one.  Not too many sold here, not too well received, but already becoming quite desirable