Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

oh yes, :D  ;) .... much more power than most of us could ever wish to properly utilize. 

I have a 2000 Honda Blackbird - these old bikes are just soooo smooth - albeit a little heavy to maneuver out the garage  ;)  

I do like the Honda Blackbird but of all the big old Hyper sport bikes I would probably go for a Hyabusa. Mind you, the ZX12 is rather nice too!

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I needed to get some stuff from the shop today, thought I'd take my Dakar. Clearly three weeks is too long between rides. Flat battery.

post-52292-0-45550200-1587404907_thumb.jpegpost-52292-0-94710900-1587404940_thumb.jpeg

Stumbled across these while clearing out my study. First is my Grandfather in the 1930’s on his Harley 10/12, second is my Great Granddad and Great Grandma on his Hudson in the 1920’s. Long heritage of biking in my family!

This is a photo of my Grandfather with his bike. It would have been taken sometime after the 1st world war. He participated in rally or race events at the time and won the silverware in the process.

Can anybody identify the make/model of the bike?

post-45898-0-67894500-1587448360_thumb.png

This is a photo of my Grandfather with his bike. It would have been taken sometime after the 1st world war. He participated in rally or race events at the time and won the silverware in the process.

attachicon.gifdt003413-small.jpg.png

I'm about 90% sure that's a 1914 Levis/Velocette frame, however, the motor throws me. BSA did the slanted motor as per your grand dad's picture but much later.

Also, Royal Enfield, Humber and most other Brit bikes sused that style of frame, however, the tank in frame shape as this model is probably a Levis/Velocette, but that motor?

Hope someone can shed more details, super picture!

Edit: Triumph Motor fitted at that slant? looks like grand dad knew what he was doing

Edited by Ed-Zulu

Let me get it on to my Classic WA groups....

I have seen some other photo's of Grandad's bike, fitted with a side car, giving some ladies, presumably my Grandmother and sisters, a ride. It looked like a picnic situation.

I think the bike got retired soon after he got married and established a farm. He died quite young, so there is not much knowledge in the family regarding the bike.

Let me get it on to my Classic WA groups....

Thanks! Maybe you can also forward some links or contacts for those groups.

Is the bike still around/ in the family?

So I did a bit of googling and found this link - 

https://images.app.goo.gl/advBBZrcd26YkQQJ9

TBH I have never even heard of the brand Phelon and Moore, so definitely going to do some more research!

Yup the group concurs - it is a Phelon and Moore.  So the next question is, with it being so unusual, does it still exist somewhere in SA i wonder