Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Congrats! You must be stoked! Let the Farkling begin :clap:

Go sign up at Wilddogs now if you haven't already done so..... ;)

Thanks Bud.

Been a lurker on Wildoogs fora while. Havent said much, though. Dont think they will get my sense of humour on that forum.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bud.

Been a lurker on Wildoogs fora while. Havent said much, though. Dont think they will get my sense of humour on that forum.

A man after my own heart.... Safer to read and just keep quiet!

Different type of forum than thehub....

All this talk about loud pipes really makes me miss my KTM supermoto - that thing had a bark like nothing else.  And the popping and flames on the over run...   aaghhh, drooool

But damn, I felt bad starting it up before dawn had cracked - especially over the weekend.  It would wake people up three suburbs away.

Seeing as we are talking load, there's 2-stroke loud, modern 4-stroke Loud, and then proper British 500 Single Megaphone LOUD

Fouriesburg loves us.  But just once a year......

post-15215-0-21894400-1429864557_thumb.jpg

Not a lot of people with wet nappies on there . When you settled in go on a bash .

Sadly I check in on the Hub for only 2 topics now - the Pet one, and this one.  From when I joined the Hub, to now things have really changed - I thought it might just be an inherent Forum thing as it's grown larger,  but I recently joined the YamahaIT forum in Aus and it's just so much more mature.

That 490 is an animal ! Had one for a short time up in Namibia in 1980 . Put a few troops in hospital that thing .

Which 490 Dirt Rider?  The IT490 was a heavy iron beast that was manageable the 4 speed YZ a little less so. But the Honda CR500 and Kawa KX500 demanded proper respect, a twitchy throttle hand was usually punished with a trip to plaster city.  The Husky 500, KTM 495 and Maico 490 were in the manageable class unless they had been breathed on.

There is a guy in SA who keeps setting ever higher speeds on modified Husky 500 I think.

The IT , CR , XR and DR's was tame compared to the IT we had there

A CR250 2smoke put me in hospital..... I still suffer some 17 years later.....

Which 490 Dirt Rider?  The IT490 was a heavy iron beast that was manageable the 4 speed YZ a little less so. But the Honda CR500 and Kawa KX500 demanded proper respect, a twitchy throttle hand was usually punished with a trip to plaster city.  The Husky 500, KTM 495 and Maico 490 were in the manageable class unless they had been breathed on.

There is a guy in SA who keeps setting ever higher speeds on modified Husky 500 I think.

Go look at the link Andymann posted

Some more pics from work done this weekend on the DT - will have to buy new piston, rings and small-end - not unexpected for 47000km.  Rest of the motor looks really good though!

Apart from the power-valve cables.  Which seemed to have been connected arse-about-face....

I wondered why the bike had zero power up top!

Also got the braking system finished.  All bagged and ready to go back on.

post-15215-0-00392500-1430144128_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-87920900-1430144136_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-14282500-1430144152_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-41063900-1430144163_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-80300500-1430144201_thumb.jpg

Nice link on that IT 490; I rode for many years with a friend who had one; absolutely reliable in the worst of conditions (and lack of maintenance).  But a runaway power beast it wasn't.

I reckon at that time (early 80's) CR 500 and KX 500 were in the 60 to 65hp bracket if they didn't seize or kill you. The YZ 490 four speed if you could jet the beast was probably 55hp, maybe.  Not sure about the Maico and KTM big bore 2 strokes.

The IT 490; well I would say 35hp but good lowdown power unlike the others.  Heavy bastid too.