Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

After my sinful post about thinking of selling my bike, I have paid some penance for my blasphemy.

I entered the 2023 Kriega Dusty Butt, as a sort of last hurrah.

10-15hrs/day for 3 days, covering some 1400km of the finest dirt the South Island has to offer... I can't wait!

I have until February to get my bike roadworthy, figure out how I'm gonna get down to the start (a 1300km ride on it's own), and maybe do some training. I'm a bit out of it, and some of the challenge sections can be pretty gnarly (from what I remember when I did the event in 2017).

image.png.4b38a89f382aeaea5e630e6d71c20392.pngDay 3/3 on the 2017 event. Stopping to take in some scenery. 5L fuel container strapped to the tail. "Ghetto GPS" ( old phone and GoPro Mount), and a saddle that felt like a bed of nails after 3 days). This time the bike will be better equipped... the rider, perhaps not 😅

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I saw a Royal Enfield Himalayan Scram 411 parked on the roadside. The paintwork on the tank caught my attention and initially I thought it was a far more expensive and custom bike.

01-white-flame.png

https://royalenfieldmotorcycles.co.nz/model/scram-411/

About 8,300 Kiwi Kwacha, which is similar to a Husky Vit or Svart Pilen, so would still take the Svartpilen over this. But nice smaller commuter option.

Edited by patches

9 hours ago, patches said:

Yesterday I saw a Royal Enfield Himalayan Scram 411 parked on the roadside. The paintwork on the tank caught my attention and initially I thought it was a far more expensive and custom bike.

01-white-flame.png

https://royalenfieldmotorcycles.co.nz/model/scram-411/

About 8,300 Kiwi Kwacha, which is similar to a Husky Vit or Svart Pilen, so would still take the Svartpilen over this. But nice smaller commuter option.

When I was first looking for bikes in SA, the RE's were unfortunately a bit expensive for what you were getting.

Then I realised I could get a used HD 883 Sportster for the same price back then, which then had me looking at the 1200's which then led to the bigger twin cams to finally end up on the Fat Bob.

If RE was better priced I may have been on a different motorcycle journey.

"Decatting an exhaust"

Is there any real perceivable advantage in doing this, and if one does do this, would you have to re-tune the bike, get a more free flowing air filter, etc?

On 10/24/2022 at 4:07 PM, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Named such, just in case you don't know that it is hard............

A couple of SAffers doing well, Green won, Teasedale up there as was Young and Kleynhans I think.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:58 AM, Mongooser said:

Any 2 stroke experts here? My Yz125 fouls plugs constantly along with my sisters yz85.  Both bikes run crisp and dont bog. ride them for 2 hours and they bog and foul the plugs.  Yz125 is at 40-1 yz85 is 36-1.  tried a 7 to 9 plug in both bikes. is it jetting or our riding style that causes it?  Never had to touch jetting so not sure whats the cause. 

So the higher the number on the plug the colder the heat range is and subsequently you need to ride the bike harder to get it to burn the oil off.  When we used to race back in the day we ran NGK BR10EGV.  We used to warm the bikes up with an 8 and then run a 10 for the race.  On our old Classic bikes we run really hot plugs - NGK B4HS and B5HS because we don't ride the bikes hard enough for the plugs to get hot.

So for your sister who lugs the bike maybe try a slightly hotter plug - perhaps a 6 rating?  And if you are not flat out on your YZ wherever you go - maybe try an 8?

40-1 is cool if you are running a full synthetic.  When we ran Castrol TTS we could go to 32:1 when the norm was 20:1 (much older bikes in the 80's!). 

As long as you are running decent oil and not this outboard motor stuff that some people use I doubt it's oil related.  Yamalube or Motul is really good.

15 hours ago, Captain Fastbastard Mayhem said:

Decat = better airflow = more air into cylinder = more bang = more powa. Def needs a tune to extract max benefit.

and depending on how clever the ecu is on the bike it may even need an ecu fooler so the ecu thinks there is still a cat in place. 

I'm sure it must be the same on bikes, cars with cats normally have an o2 sensor before and after the cat and adjust the ecu accordingly, remove the cat and either the ecu throws the state of tune way out or chucks up a check engine light.

You can run the bike decatted without a tune and just an ecu fooler, but you wont be getting the full advantage of the decat.