Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

1 hour ago, IceCreamMan said:

Yeah. Bigger is better is the adage, incorrect I reckon.

The GS started as an 800cc. Next model is rumoured to be a 1300 or even a 1400. Just no point to it. 800 is more than enough. 

My HD has a bigger engine than my car ... we are getting a new car soon ... and the car has a bigger engine than the HD.

WHAT DO I DO.

I can get a new HD with a bigger CC engine, or just play it safe by getting a Rocket 3

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Hairy said:

My HD has a bigger engine than my car ... we are getting a new car soon ... and the car has a bigger engine than the HD.

WHAT DO I DO.

I can get a new HD with a bigger CC engine, or just play it safe by getting a Rocket 3

Decisions decisions. 

just get a Boss Hoss and be done with these lil motors 

23 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Decisions decisions. 

just get a Boss Hoss and be done with these lil motors 

Can't afford the petrol on that.

So if I get to do just over 200km some days for site meetings on the bike, can I call myself a professional motorcyclist as I am getting paid to ride my bike 🤣

Edited by Hairy

42 minutes ago, Hairy said:

WHAT DO I DO.

Easy answer but then I may be a bit biased 😅 

8 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Yeah. Bigger is better is the adage, incorrect I reckon.

The GS started as an 800cc. Next model is rumoured to be a 1300 or even a 1400. Just no point to it. 800 is more than enough. 

I am increasingly using my 690 for my long day rides. I will actually get some light luggage like the Turkana Gear for overnight trips. I will not be bothering with camping gear. The big KTM is mostly used on tar and hard Karoo main dirt roads.

I have been looking at these Desert X reviews, yeah it really is awesome but surprising to many I like my smaller 690 Katoom  and if two up I would just take the big bike. I honestly would be useless in making my mind up on a new mid weight bike!

5 minutes ago, Spokey said:

I am increasingly using my 690 for my long day rides. I will actually get some light luggage like the Turkana Gear for overnight trips. I will not be bothering with camping gear. The big KTM is mostly used on tar and hard Karoo main dirt roads.

I have been looking at these Desert X reviews, yeah it really is awesome but surprising to many I like my smaller 690 Katoom  and if two up I would just take the big bike. I honestly would be useless in making my mind up on a new mid weight bike!

Doubt you will be able to find a X to take for a spin off road?

The real hero here in the beginning of the vid is the Harley hanging out off road.

On 3/26/2023 at 5:14 PM, IceCreamMan said:

Maybe he should retire. Kamikaze pilot. 

Yeah, that was brutal. What a crash, yet I am perhaps one of the few who thinks he should still be there. Yes, undoubtedly he was way hot and exhibiting as much control on that Honda as I may have had, wink wink, but I think he has an inferior bike again and yet still possesses the desire to get back to the top. Frankly Pecco  makes it look like a walk in the park, those Ducatis are ridiculous. See how they blitzed the Katooms  down the straight! If my 1098 was a few years younger I would offer to 93!! Many will think I am incorrect. He does need a fair  punishment, you cannot just ride into peeps as you wish, heck, I don’t even ride into all the old farts in George who have no idea regarding traffic circles……heaven knows, I want to! Not on my bike…….my white Bakkie…….yes, I am one of those! Those old buggars are one of the main reasons I ride my 690, over the roundabout escape manoeuvre is a breeze! By the way…….old fart of 59 myself. 
On a serious note, yes, 93 looked a bit desperate but hell I like his appetite for racing. I hope Honda can lift their game a bit more and simultaneously reign in their man……just a tad. 
sorry for the ramble!

Some insight from all you guys in the Hub Motorcycle fraternity. I mused about buying me a one last time new mid size Adventure bike but apart from all of that I have an opportunity to purchase a collectable motorcycle to add to ……well, my collection. Now, my bikes are old, well maintained and I believe should make a Randella or two……perhaps not and then I have it all wrong, I just have old bikes! 
I am not in the situation to purchase a CB1100R, or a RD500 but as an expensive bike for me in the correct price range, I have a chance on a Ducati 999, a KTM RC8 an air/ oil cooled GSX1100 from 1994 and out of left field (for me) a Harley XR1200. I am in lust with them all. I shall post pics.

If you guys have input, I would welcome it……….of course I may just go with a Katoom 990 (but a good one) 

Like I said before………struggle to make my mind up!!

This is my conundrum, perhaps a mistake to look at any of them, but supported by a wife who loves bikes! The Harley is very rare, built for just two years I believe, as close to Harley ownership as I imagine myself. The Duc is the Pierre Terblanche design that polarised the Ducatista, did not sell well due to being an ugly beast, yet it has a certain beauty now. The RC8 is also rare and perhaps still a bit odd looking but that engine is a peach. Of coirse the 93/94 GSX1100 is just a classic work of 90’s art!69DB1BFA-315B-40A0-8FBA-52B5A103DA68.jpeg.2a3392d991dbf2e4c14632bfa6372183.jpeg2DC58654-C5CD-48E5-B09C-578347FE38BC.jpeg.f4e674da1b3dfca3266dc5e43c434e9b.jpeg4C5FAFF2-2CB4-4DAB-9B53-8C82B36FA39E.jpeg.baa3f2ab485f537daca36cb69c5cd501.jpeg42FAC787-E80C-4E02-85E5-4598E9B4006E.png.61be91c2b4430afbc2e74ab838d105a5.png

Edited by Spokey
Content

Probably the RC8 hey.  While they weren't all that successful there's not a lot of them around so they are unusual - which I think adds to the collector value.

The 999 is slowly increasing in value too but it's not as unusual or rare as the RC8.

Lastly GSX.

That would be my order