Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Tell me more, I'm hunting for a Dt175 at the moment. Love those bikes, so easy to work on and so reliable, they can't be beaten.

What is the Brazilian Dt180 with front disc like, apparently the engine castings are up to sh1t3 but there are a few floating around Sa?

Ya the DT180 wasn't talked about with much fondness in the Yamaha Technical department! The best thing about it was the front disc. I stand corrected but I don't even think it was a full 180cc - the 175 is 171cc and I think the 180 was 176cc.

Biggest problem now is that the DT180 came from Brasil, and most of the parts now have been discontinued

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya the DT180 wasn't talked about with much fondness in the Yamaha Technical department! The best thing about it was the front disc. I stand corrected but I don't even think it was a full 180cc - the 175 is 171cc and I think the 180 was 176cc.

Biggest problem now is that the DT180 came from Brasil, and most of the parts now have been discontinued

Was there that little parts compatibility with the locally released Dt175, the extra few cc must just be a slight overbore on the piston or something similar?

Is your advice to stay away from them, the native disc does make them look quite attractive?

Was there that little parts compatibility with the locally released Dt175, the extra few cc must just be a slight overbore on the piston or something similar?

Is your advice to stay away from them, the native disc does make them look quite attractive?

You'll always be able to make a plan to keep it running, but it won't be a simple case of going to your Yamaha dealer with the part number and ordering it - the engine will be ok - Shares the same parts as the RT180 which the US got so you'll get wear parts, but things like plastics, CDI, Regulator, Headlight will all have to be checked against other Yamaha models. Not impossible, but if you are looking for a reliable commuter you don't want to have to wait for parts to arrive from ebay in the event of a minor spill.

Unless you specifically want a DT180 for its rarity value I would look at a DT175. And then keep an eye open for a scrap XTZ125 (there are loads of them because the Post Office used them and didn't service them.) Forks, wheel and brake bolt straight onto the DT.

Truth be told though, for commuting, the DT's front drum is perfectly adequate.

True, never found the front drum inadequate on the last Dt175 I had, discs are nice though.

Suppose I should rather post this two stroke info here than on the Stellenbosch trials vs bikers thread.... :wacko:

Maico make a 700cc 2 stroke beast...

http://motocrossacti...nd-keihin-carbs

There's a supermotard version of this now too! Search google to hear some of the most insane two stroke grunts ever!

Here's some of the history on it:

http://articles.superhunky.com/4/52

There's also a crew of chaps in the US who take old CR500 motors and drop then into updated Honda MX frames.

https://www.serviceh.../cr500af05.html

I raced back in the day when methanol was the fuel! The smells are what has kept me a petrolhead to this day!

Suppose I should rather post this two stroke info here than on the Stellenbosch trials vs bikers thread.... :wacko:

Maico make a 700cc 2 stroke beast...

http://motocrossacti...nd-keihin-carbs

There's a supermotard version of this now too! Search google to hear some of the most insane two stroke grunts ever!

Here's some of the history on it:

http://articles.superhunky.com/4/52

There's also a crew of chaps in the US who take old CR500 motors and drop then into updated Honda MX frames.

https://www.serviceh.../cr500af05.html

I raced back in the day when methanol was the fuel! The smells are what has kept me a petrolhead to this day!

Bwa0bPmIEAAvfyJ.jpg

If you are a member of the Wild Dogs forum, there is a thread where a guy that is doing one of those CR500 conversions. His workmanship and attention to detail is unbelieveable  :thumbup:  :drool:

Edited by Grebel

Thanks fr the link. Best waste of time EVER

Take your time reading through that one. LOTS of bling!!!

I would love to know what he spent on that build.....

Edited by Grebel

For the real ballies that remember Dirt Bike when Rick Super Hunky Sieman (RIP) was editor I think they had an article on Maico who built a 700 or 750cc bike to dethrone BMW in that class in the then ISDT (now ISDE and no more 750 class).

Well Rick got hold of the Maico to ride in the infamous Blackwater 100 and did a write up.  That particular bike wasn't a great fire breathing machine being set up for enduro but it was all interesting; as I remember anyway.

Any of you guys going to the Bike Festival at Kyalami at month end? I am super chuffed to have my track rides booked for the 27th! Honda Africa Twin, Triumph Thruxton R and BMW R1200R

Looking forward to that.

Any of you guys going to the Bike Festival at Kyalami at month end? I am super chuffed to have my track rides booked for the 27th! Honda Africa Twin, Triumph Thruxton R and BMW R1200R

Looking forward to that.

How did you book rides?

How did you book rides?

Online on the website for the Festival. You need to book the entrance ticket and then they email you a code to access the test rides bookings.

Looking forward to that.

Please take photos of the CR500AF that Grebel posted the link to!!!! That bike will be onshow!