Cyclists Who Wear Helmets 'Wasting Their Time'

CDK

Well.... you and me together can ride buffalo class.... I am 63.... what are you again.... was it 2 or 3 buffalo's? :)

We would def, qualify :(

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sound from reading his article that he is referring to commuters in city traffic. If I am cycling my 3.5km to work and back I don't wear a helmet.

If I get hit by car I don't think a helmet will do much. Yes it might help me survive, but survive can mean a lot of things. ending up in a coma, which schumi is in regardless of wearing a helmet.

If I am on my mtb riding I always have my helmet. Its helped but if you land wrong it won't mean a thing.

If a car is safer than a motorbike, should you force people not to ride motorbikes because you feel unsafe?

Turns out that riding your bike increases your life expectancy dramatically.

Wearing a helmet, may make you safer in certain circumstances (almost statistically insignificantly)

Helmet laws, making helmets mandatory, kill absolutely. See my earlier post. (fewer riders cause more riders to be killed by brain dead or blind drivers)

Ride. Don't have laws and leave helmet wearing to personal choice.

Personal choice is good for mature societies. Kids, people that think like kids (enjoy risk taking behaviour) and people that are dependant on others for their healthcare should not be allowed to make their own decisions.

This should apply to alcohol, smoking and ideally also to having children.

Let rip...

Personal choice is good for mature societies. Kids, people that think like kids (enjoy risk taking behaviour) and people that are dependant on others for their healthcare should not be allowed to make their own decisions.

This should apply to alcohol, smoking and ideally also to having children.

Let rip...

In every species on this planet natural selection takes place ensuring the strongest genes are passed on the the next generation. Ie. if you are an animal and are sickly and stupid will will probably be eaten by something else, kill yourself or die of disease before you have a chance to procreate. The human race it seems is the only species where the "stupid" gene has rights. Biologically speaking :P Rant off

Not very impressed by the article. His statement sounds mostly based on anecdotal evidence, with slim sliver of real scientific data. This is then countered by more anecdotal evidence. And then, as per usual, lots of replies on the hub here of more anecdotal evidence. :wacko:

For those interested in real science: http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1157.html

Not very impressed by the article. His statement sounds mostly based on anecdotal evidence, with slim sliver of real scientific data. This is then countered by more anecdotal evidence. And then, as per usual, lots of replies on the hub here of more anecdotal evidence. :wacko:

For those interested in real science: http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1157.html

Thanks for the link...did some reading last night.....to me it does seems that an interesting link does exist between people that are wearing a helmet taking risks, that they would not ordinarily do, because of the protection a helmet provides, so I can believe that people wearing helmets could have more falls than those that don't. I definatley do...I'm a clutz on a bike and would never try some of the stuff I do, if I did not have a helmet on my noggin. Edited by blondeonabike

Two unplanned meetings with metal monsters, 1 MTB wipe out and 1 incident where a cement block was lobbed at my head, helmet saved my pip in all 4. Thanks for the claim doc, but i'll stick to tried and tested. my 4 beat your 1 experience.

I've landed on my head at least twice which would have caused less than pleasant outcomes - and the once was at walking pace just outside our gate.

I don't much like 'one size fits all' nanny rules, but I do wear my helmet ALWAYS.

I've totalled 2 Bell helmets at Jonkers over the last 3 years, damage to me? Bruised ego!

So I will keep on wearing them.