Smoove Lube

babyball

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else found that SRAM quick link is more difficult to open by hand when using smooth?

......I prefer my quick link to never open......even easy......I have tools to do the hard work if necessary........

Your fingers must be meneer strong. I've never got a SRAM quick link open by hand.

+ 1

The 9spd...maybe. But 10spd link I need a tool

+ 1

The 9spd...maybe. But 10spd link I need a tool

really? I'm hardly a muscle monster and I can clip them open super easy - you dont need any special tools.

I cleaned my chain last night and clipped it off in less than 5s

really? I'm hardly a muscle monster and I can clip them open super easy - you dont need any special tools.

True story....10spd links are impossible without the little chain tool

maybe I have feminine hands....9sp is very easy, push together and pull, but 10spd...aikona

I think its the 10 speed KMC quick links that are quite easy to take off? I cant remove my SRAM 10 speed link without using a bit of old gear cable and two pairs of pliers.

maybe I have feminine hands....9sp is very easy, push together and pull, but 10spd...aikona

you need to squeeze the link (press the plates towards each other) between the pins to remove by hand. works for me.

Guest notmyname

I think its the 10 speed KMC quick links that are quite easy to take off? I cant remove my SRAM 10 speed link without using a bit of old gear cable and two pairs of pliers.

please excuse my ignorance but how is this done?

Agreed the kmc 10spd ones are no probs.....

you need to squeeze the link (press the plates towards each other) between the pins to remove by hand. works for me.

Yip, I know this from my 9spd days....but like mojo said, I think fand might be talking about the kmc links...if its a SRAM brand I honestly cant see it happening.

I found the answer to cleaning my chain after using smoove, try M7 degreaser it's a product made by Flight. Simply apply with a paint brush and because it's water soluble you can wash it away with a hose.

please excuse my ignorance but how is this done?

Squeeze plates together with pliers but dont overdo it cause you can bend them, use gear cable to weave through links and pull apart. Works....but I eventually got a little 10spd link tool...no mess or fuss

Yip, I know this from my 9spd days....but like mojo said, I think fand might be talking about the kmc links...if its a SRAM brand I honestly cant see it happening.

sorry I meant to reply to GreatGusto @ #50 above. Edited by MTBeer

Thanks, it is a 9 speed. Using them for years and was always very easy. Recently opened a new bag of them as well as starting to use/test smoove..... was wondering what is the difference. The experience of the link before vs the new lube, that I could not understand that it could make it that more difficult. Will need to get a tool now, I had to cut the one open with a Dremmel.

yup youre right - mine is the kmc