[Event] Freedom Challenge 2014

tubed

Yoh yoh yoh! Some farmer out there must enjoying canoeing... glass fibre that puppy up! Otherwise duct tape for now... If it's a dual sus I would lock out the rear suspension too.

Where's BogusOne when you need him? :ph34r:

it's ducttaped already....but probably asking a bit much of the stickystuff

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is how it currently looks.

Bqeo1gBCYAAehpI.jpg

I'd run the cable tie slightly differently to try and pull the crack together (assuming it's only along the top of the top tube)...

post-12909-0-32895800-1403166047_thumb.jpg

Tim and Glenn left Masakala at 2am...

I see Chris and Julia also report they're not feeling too good... planning to stop at Ongeluks.

Edited by Ryanpmb

Tim and Glenn left Masakala at 2am...

yup, they both had some issues with stomach bugs so laid low at masakala, very glad to see they're on the move again. Does mean they wasted a bit of precious daylight sleeping but it all evens out eventually.

Tweet/smelly (who are now referring to themselves as loneranger and tonto) are basically about 15 hours ahead, but with much less rest.

I see Chris and Julia also report they're not feeling too good... planning to stop at Ongeluks.

yup...getting to masakala in two days is no small feat. they did do Expedition africa only two weeks ago, so legs and body are a bit klapped from that. They will get into the groove no doubt(assuming the frame doesn't throw a whoopsie)!

Was wondering when we would see the equipment pics.

Notice the Maxxis Crossmark, for reliability I dont think there is a better tyre on this trail - they also make great tracks for following in the sand/ mud.

I like Mike's pic of his shoes - quite surprising they lasted 2 rides, albeit both were to Rhodes I think. After getting to Paarl, I managed to remove the cleats and put mine in the nearest bin. There is only so much cow dung, mud, slush and water those shoes can take, Stettyns is known for seeing shoes with duct tape and cable ties.

post-1509-0-98660400-1403167516_thumb.jpg

Few more pics...

Start at PMB City Hall.

post-12909-0-24441600-1403176114_thumb.jpg

PYGA TYGA's almost out of Ntsikeni.

post-12909-0-37375200-1403176127_thumb.jpg

Lehanas... (and the line you follow - sort of).

post-12909-0-51439900-1403176166_thumb.jpgpost-12909-0-62728000-1403176173_thumb.jpg

Finished! And receiving our finishers whips. Still looking rather windswept!

post-12909-0-11397700-1403176213_thumb.jpg

post-12909-0-77035400-1403176217_thumb.jpg

Ryan, You have been bitten by the bug, and with all that equipment, experience and confidence I am sorry to say June wont be the same until you have gotten the rest of the trail out of your system.

Rhodes is a bit of a swap shop - bet those guys had been eyeing your flasks long before Rhodes and there were dibs on them that you didn't know about. I see Phillip is thanking Kevin for socks on twitter - in previous years Glenn's bike has at times looked like not much more than a frame and handle bars at Rhodes as people have stripped it as they pass through.

Seems like Gawie is looking for a saddle at the moment, two years ago he was tinkering with his bike (some guys just cant help themselves!) just before the Baviaans and stripped the thread on a quick release - try as hard as he could he couldn't find a solution and very luckily for him I think it was Pete Stephens who drove all the way from PE to give him a spare. Although Pete was as desperate to get back o the trail for any sort of action as he had himself pulled out if I can recall ( he subsequently went back and finished last year). Long story short - don't tinker with something that works and there are always guys on the sidelines looking to help/ get involved.

Yes, I helped Gawie out by taking a rear wheel skewer to him at Bucklands after I abandoned FC '12 at Brosterlea. He was on a single speed, belt driven titanium bike. Gawie made up the 3 hour morning deficit on his riding partners just before the Osseberg turnoff. He's a strong rider. I think Mike Woolnough spoke of F.C. being a race involving monkeys. Some of us go along and end up collecting a monkey for our trouble to carry on our backs, whilst others go back to get rid of their's. There's always someone trying to shed a monkey and someone else who's turn it is to take it over. I had a monkey and went back last year to get rid of it.

I'm busy catching up my blog after returning from R2R yesterday. I've done several multiday races over thre past 10 years and will do many more but this one has a special place, nothing quite like it and from a difficulty level, in a league of its own! Also go check out http://freedomchallenge.org.za, all the info is there to help you with your 2015 entry :-).

makingtrackz.wordpress.com.

Edited by Trackz

Yes, I helped Gawie out by taking a rear wheel skewer to him at Bucklands after I abandoned FC '12 at Brosterlea. He was on a single speed, belt driven titanium bike. Gawie made up the 3 hour morning deficit on his riding partners just before the Osseberg turnoff. He's a strong rider. I think Mike Woolnough spoke of F.C. being a race involving monkeys. Some of us go along and end up collecting a monkey for our trouble to carry on our backs, whilst others go back to get rid of their's. There's always someone trying to shed a monkey and someone else who's turn it is to take it over. I had a monkey and went back last year to get rid of it.

Hi Peter, I was one of those guys riding with Gawie, he is very strong, especially when he is on a mission. In 2012 I was getting the monkey off my back, I saw it sitting next to you in the Amarok at the Grasnek/ Osseberg turnoff, glad you passed it on, I think Philip has it this year and is passing it on as we speak.

Edited by tubed

I'm busy catching up my blog after returning from R2R yesterday. I've done several multiday races over thre past 10 years and will do many more but this one has a special place, nothing quite like it and from a difficulty level, in a league of its own! Also go check out http://freedomchallenge.org.za, all the info is there to help you with your 2015 entry :-).

makingtrackz.wordpress.com.

Enjoying your blog and pics as they come through, well done on a good ride, like your approach and the ability to improvise as you go.

I think the quote from one of the PMB boys of Steve Thomas sums it up "it is what it is". If the winds blows a demented gale, that's your lot, get on with it and finish with a good attitude.

The Freedom Challenge (RASA, R2R) vs Epic vs Munga......

Going to wade into this one as I am surprised it hasn't come up, but I like the fact that there is not too much debate about this among the guys following this thread, that the guys here don't bash other races

I think the reason is that FC riders do as many of the other races on offer as they can, its not ever a case of "oh this ones better than that", most guys here just love riding and that's what the FC is about - simply riding a bike wherever possible.

I love the fact that Tim James was competing at the Epic this year with Robbie Mac, that he still rides age group races at national level - marathon and XC.

I seem to think I have seen some national bands on one of either Con or Coen ( I could be mistaken, but it would be nice to know).

Gawie was an SA champ many many moons ago - he still has the skills to show it.

Jeannie Dreyer (dont think she needs much intro) was tweeting today about her ride this year being at the marathon worlds in a week or so.

Then the adventure racers are represented at the FC this year by two of the top two teams about at the moment.

The point is, the FC, R2R and RASA are not for fringe loonies, (although Mike Woolnough may fall into that category in the nicest way!) and while there is some negative debate elsewhere about the Munga, I think like the R2R, the Munga is a good addition and I hope Alex pulls it off.

Even more so, I hope one of the silent assassins from this looney crew out there tonight are in at the death racing themselves to a big paycheck, hell if I had the spare cash I would take a punt on a Tim/ Glenn combo.....

Just my thoughts.

There might be a couple of fringe loonies following this thread harbouring a desire... ;-)

Me I have already got my dream bike in my head. Just need to get round the training time and have a go.