Online shopping in South Africa

PureMotion Sports

What are your thoughts on the online shopping in South Africa within the cycle industry?

Something that you partake in or do you prefer visiting retailers for the whole shopping experience?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smash the industry open wide and be the first bicycle specific SA online store to offer free shipping on all orders.

You will win. Majority on thehub have ordered stuff at some time or other online, all about better availability and price online.

So what's your website?

I basically only shop online as I work on my own bike, so imports the best. But, have to say, for every 10 parcel I order from Chain reaction, il maybe order 1 from local shops. Thing is, if you cant beat CRC with prices, then I dont see the use of buying local, which is going to be hard

We need local online stores with competitive prices. the government is just going to keep ramping up the taxes and import fees to increase local spending. Which is fair enough. better for the GDP and so on.

I basically only shop online as I work on my own bike, so imports the best. But, have to say, for every 10 parcel I order from Chain reaction, il maybe order 1 from local shops. Thing is, if you cant beat CRC with prices, then I dont see the use of buying local, which is going to be hard

Not sure I would agree... Put local to the test first. We use CRC as a benchmark before we stock any product and 9 out of 10 times we are cheaper.

CRC's advantage is displaying prices ex VAT...

What are your thoughts on the online shopping in South Africa within the cycle industry?

Something that you partake in or do you prefer visiting retailers for the whole shopping experience?

If I know I need to buy a lot of stuff , R10K or more then I first go and visit the international online shops to compare prices . Sometimes after all other costs has been added I end up buying locally from CWC or Buycycle . BUT I still like to go to my LBS and spend some money there .

Local online shops don't have the big selection that oversee shops have but it not really that cheap to buy from overseas once you have worked out the shipping and the Vat on top of that.You guys do POC products,but I must be honest they are a bit over priced compared to other products. The price does not justify what the product gives you.#valueformoney

Not sure I would agree... Put local to the test first. We use CRC as a benchmark before we stock any product and 9 out of 10 times we are cheaper.

Absolutely Naas, I'll only buy from the European shops when they have stupid priced specials, or for products not available locally. Between Evo, CWC, Dial'd and Buycycle, and Easybike, you don't need to buy overseas.

I think the local stores are very very competitive, once you calculate shipping and taxes, it comes down to the same thing, unless you probably buy a lot of components. Clothing gets expensive if you "import"

Only thing that I can say is the variety, we are limited in what we can get here, so that is always nice to check out on the overseas online stores.

True, but problem is I fall in the non 29'er market, which means outside the target market for shops around here. Only thing I buy local would be clothing and protection items

Absolutely Naas, I'll only buy from the European shops when they have stupid priced specials, or for products not available locally. Between Evo, CWC, Dial'd and Buycycle, and Easybike, you don't need to buy overseas.

You said didnt need to buy overseas.

Where can I find san marco aspide2 superleggera saddle in SA?? I cant find it so im thinking of buy it from overseas. . :(

I've just bought Selle Italia saddle and other bits and bobs from CRC, including Ragley and Yeti dropouts, because Ragley don't have an agent in SA, and Yeti's agents are useless, and don't believe in answering their phones or emails.

The only thing I buy from local bike shop are the things I need immediately. Otherwise I buy from either chain reaction or buy cycle.