DH World Cup #4 - Leogang

Stretch

Yes.. There was no discussion around her competing in the last few pages.. it was all about skills talent and dedication for guys and girls who are winning these events.... I think haley may have misread/misunderstood the discussion... As per her opening statement... Can we now drop that and focus on the discussion at hand... which I am enjoying and finding very interesting

P.s. did anyone watch the gopro comparison between Manon and Rachel I posted a few pages back... I found it fascinating

Edited by Stretch

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys should try get hold of a book called 'Bounce' by Matthew Syed. He's a British table tennis camp who got to the Sydney Olympic and choked very badly, but it's a book that clarifies a lot more than that about sport, music, art being not just about hard work, but location, opportunity etc. Bloody good read.

ok ok... time for some more Leogang pics!

http://www.sicklines.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Needles-corner-uci-world-cup-dh-leogang-2013.jpg

Anyone remember this corner from 2012 World Champs. Needles went in so fast that he G'd his feet right off the pedals!

http://www.sicklines.com/news-images/needles-tube-910.jpg

Think the wont back down peaty story sums this up nicely.. he was never the best racer but stuck at it until he achieved his goals.

He wasnt the best rider in the beginning or towards his world champ win finally.. he fought Vouilloz to the bitter end of his career and only then won,,, never backing down just continuing to plow on..!

There was younger riders like hill,fabien who came up and affected his efforts aswell by winning races early on in their careers.

He knew he wasnt as smooth as them... but its was about his game and not theirs,to conquer the things which he sees as accomplishments.

Peaty says he still cant believe he rides a bike for a living.... and just happens to be a legend .. even if he wasnt the best just on pure effort and determination alone.

+ hes blue collar just like the rest of us .. which makes the victories even more sweet.

"Just riding my bike with mates and a couple of races inbetween"

Its like me giving up the feelings and freedom i feel from sk8boarding just because the kids are so good quickly nowadays.... like i said when i started " ill stop when my body wont let me anymore" same goes for my bike :thumbup:

No worries.

I sometimes read one or two posts and also fire away.

I must just add that yesterday we were all very merrily discussing the World Cup without any spats, till miss Earth made her comment.

Yeah I know what you mean about the praise thing in your post above this one - I personally also would not expect praise if I was selected to race something and gave up because it rained. But then again I personally am at a different level to Hayley.

So I would agree with you in you comment that she is praised and acknowledged for her passion and giving it a go ... She cant be praised for racing and doing well because she didnt - but again - only the top boys can be praised for this as the rest of the pros get pissed off when they come 20th. So they dont want praise.

So the thing is WHAT do you praise ... and i think the praise should be given if there is the motivation to go and do what you want (XC, Marathon, or DH) to the best of your ability even if you know you are going to suck.

As for the reading one or 2 posts and firing away ... I generally try and stay out of most duels on here as I couldnt be bothered with them ... but some (such as this discussion are pretty interesting and though provoking.) .. So no matter who said what to who I think that we just carry on regardless with the conversation about Gwin and the fact that he would have beaten everyone of us with no tyre!

hahahah

oh and ... BANG BANG

http://www.johnjudy.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/yosemite-sam.jpg

hahahaha

Spot on Nige.

I must say, I admire the Downhill, Enduro and XCO riders, at my age now I am too careful to get hurt and once you break a finger ,arm ,toe or two you realise as you get older you never really wanted that to happen, you start thinking "if I could turn back time"

I did the crazy stuff till in my early 30's and then discovered I like to ride for long periods.

But it will never take away my admiration for the levels of skill and style one sees when these guys do their stuff.

Think the wont back down peaty story sums this up nicely.. he was never the best racer but stuck at it until he achieved his goals.

He wasnt the best rider in the beginning or towards his world champ win finally.. he fought Vouilloz to the bitter end of his career and only then won,,, never backing down just continuing to plow on..!

There was younger riders like hill,fabien who came up and affected his efforts aswell by winning races early on in their careers.

He knew he wasnt as smooth as them... but its was about his game and not theirs,to conquer the things which he sees as accomplishments.

Peaty says he still cant believe he rides a bike for a living.... and just happens to be a legend .. even if he wasnt the best just on pure effort and determination alone.

+ hes blue collar just like the rest of us .. which makes the victories even more sweet.

I like what you say here. I remember when I was involved in another sport at school level and a provincial coach approached me and said "You have a lot of talent for this are you going to try take it further?" I replied that I didn't think I had any talent which was why I had to practice and train every day for hours. He replied "That's what talent is kiddo". That always stuck with me.

Probably th most passionate person in sport,also just happened to pretty much invent modern skateboarding as we know it.. also just happens to be a genuis..

See his importance on GETTING UP AGAIN... which a sk8boarder defines !

ok ok... time for some more Leogang pics!

Anyone remember this corner from 2012 World Champs. Needles went in so fast that he G'd his feet right off the pedals!

Some take it high...some take it low...

post-24697-0-22111500-1403166838_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-46762900-1403166858_thumb.jpg

I think waht made Leogang so cool is there was events going on almost all the time from 9am-11pm+. One thing was the 26TRIX. DAMN these okes are mad skilled! I thought this was way more cool than the Nitro Circus bicycle jumps. Like in a double back flip no hands and next jump a lean forward till the last minute into a front flip touch down...

Such awesome view too (but look for the dude in the air).

post-24697-0-97922500-1403167521_thumb.jpg

Yes.. There was no discussion around her competing in the last few pages.. it was all about skills talent and dedication for guys and girls who are winning these events.... I think haley may have misread/misunderstood the discussion... As per her opening statement... Can we now drop that and focus on the discussion at hand... which I am enjoying and finding very interesting

P.s. did anyone watch the gopro comparison between Manon and Rachel I posted a few pages back... I found it fascinating

Yip. All the time made up on the flatter pedal and not taking the jumps.

The bit with Manon vs Rach is very interesting

Rach gains 2 seconds in the first 3 or 4 corners up top but holding better exit speed and not overbraking.

THis margin stays about the same all the way up to 2:27 where they go into a man-made flat rock garden near the end of the flat section ... Rach has held her lead (maybe loosing 0.5 of a sec) but as she hits this rock garden she stuffs it up and looses speed.

Manon on the other hand has a superb line on the right and carries more momentum through it and into the following section allowing her to gain the 2 seconds back on Rach almost instantaneously.

Then she gains another second just after the wallrides in those roots - and again through the "Stairs of Contrast" ... so I dont think it was Rachel being off pace - as she held on the flat piece - only loosing about 0.5 of a second because she cased both those big booters whereas Manon went around them.

Id say it was won and lost in the man-made rocks and then the lower roots. where Manon was just more focused and held better speed

Then she gains another second just after the wallrides in those roots - and again through the "Stairs of Contrast" ... so I dont think it was Rachel being off pace - as she held on the flat piece - only loosing about 0.5 of a second because she cased both those big booters whereas Manon went around them.

Id say it was won and lost in the man-made rocks and then the lower roots. where Manon was just more focused and held better speed

You don't think that perhaps by that stage, Rachel was just that much more tired than Manon? Making htose sort of mistakes is out of character for her...