DH World Cup #4 - Leogang

Stretch

Its not really that difficult to learn what these guys do - as it is all self-confidence really.

Its about having been mentored from the age of 12 or so to race and be precise and judge exactly whats happening around you and on the bike.

Yes there is definitely an inherent quality that these guys have that would have set them above the rest before going on to the world stage and it is this skill that needs grooming.

We all have the potential - but for us old farts we never had the same drive and structure that was afforded to these guys.

We could have all been there if we had started like Greg did by going overseas at 17 for his first world cups ..

So as we get older we become a little more nervous and therefore think we cant do stuff when actually we can - its just our brains saying (no you cant!) ...

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not really that difficult to learn what these guys do - as it is all self-confidence really.

Its about having been mentored from the age of 12 or so to race and be precise and judge exactly whats happening around you and on the bike.

Yes there is definitely an inherent quality that these guys have that would have set them above the rest before going on to the world stage and it is this skill that needs grooming.

We all have the potential - but for us old farts we never had the same drive and structure that was afforded to these guys.

We could have all been there if we had started like Greg did by going overseas at 17 for his first world cups ..

So as we get older we become a little more nervous and therefore think we cant do stuff when actually we can - its just our brains saying (no you cant!) ...

AT MY AGE I know i could never ride like that, but i would love to look at a course like that and know i could ride to the bottom at my own pace and not break anything else

For sure. When people talk about natural talent they are often really talking about drive and motivation. Not everybody has both of those qualities and that is what makes up the most of talent. If we had started young but importantly stuck at it relentlessly then we would definitely be right up there. There is definitely a little bit of x factor and some genetics that seperates the top 10 from the next 20 but you would still be a world class athlete.

AT MY AGE I know i could never ride like that, but i would love to look at a course like that and know i could ride to the bottom at my own pace and not break anything else

Ja that's what I enjoy about the sport. The guy racing before you is just trying to finish a downhill race. The guy coming after you is trying to win it. And you are maybe just trying to hit that one jump or get through that rock garden quicker than you have before. Everyone is lined up there for a different reason and it's wonderful maybe that is why Downhill races have such a good atmosphere.

Ja that's what I enjoy about the sport. The guy racing before you is just trying to finish a downhill race. The guy coming after you is trying to win it. And you are maybe just trying to hit that one jump or get through that rock garden quicker than you have before. Everyone is lined up there for a different reason and it's wonderful maybe that is why Downhill races have such a good atmosphere.

ill be lined up to collect my teeth :blush: :blush: :blush:

but - how many people actually know that it is what they want at 5, 6,7,8. all of the top guys were doing pewee, bikes etc at that age... Sure its dedication - but there must be something inside of you that makes you want to have that dedication and you either have it or you don't. I mean i know some guys that were really good bmx competitors during the craze...but when that faded so did they...these okes continued to the next level.

Watching Sam Hill almost break up reminiscing 5 years later about 2008 VDS on Won't Break Down is evidence of the level of commitment and passion you have to have to be at that level of the sport.

I have a MTB and a 250 four stroke dirt bike, I would like to think that I am equally "talented" riding each, and I can say for fact (referring to myself) that I go down technical tracks and twisty jeep track much quicker on my MTB a 29er hard tail.

The dirt bike is so much heavier 105kgs compared to my MTB of 11kg, it cannot turn as sharp as the MTB, neither as quick, and the thought of having the 250 hitting my head scares me a bit also.

I am convinced that there is now way a dirt bike will come even close to a MTB on a DH course.

On a technical perspective, to do a step down on the dirt bike you have to get to the obstacle, get onto the throttle and wheelie off, naturally carrying more speed with you and stopping 105kgs is not as easy as stopping 11kgs, suspension and braking power all irrelevant. But, they both still are awesome to ride.

My dirt bike climbs better than the MTB though :clap:

I have a MTB and a 250 four stroke dirt bike, I would like to think that I am equally "talented" riding each, and I can say for fact (referring to myself) that I go down technical tracks and twisty jeep track much quicker on my MTB a 29er hard tail.

The dirt bike is so much heavier 105kgs compared to my MTB of 11kg, it cannot turn as sharp as the MTB, neither as quick, and the thought of having the 250 hitting my head scares me a bit also.

I am convinced that there is now way a dirt bike will come even close to a MTB on a DH course.

On a technical perspective, to do a step down on the dirt bike you have to get to the obstacle, get onto the throttle and wheelie off, naturally carrying more speed with you and stopping 105kgs is not as easy as stopping 11kgs, suspension and braking power all irrelevant. But, they both still are awesome to ride.

My dirt bike climbs better than the MTB though :clap:

bwhaaaaaa no seriaaasssss :eek:

My son is now 12 and he is wanting to learn Dh riding, but who do I see or take him to?

first question you should ask yourself does he have STEEL OR CARBON (you know)

I think to get to the top step you need:

1. Incredible natural talent.

2. Loads of hard work over many years, starting young, to develop it to the full.

3. Tip top physical conditioning.

4. Huge goneys and a willingness to put your body on the line.

5. Self confidence and self belief, the ultimate difference at this level is usually in the mind.

Being a bit touched in the head probably helps a bit too. Aaron Gwin's run gave me a little gave me a bit of insight into this. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

My son is now 12 and he is wanting to learn Dh riding, but who do I see or take him to?

You need:

1x bakkie

1x willing driver

2x bikes (one for you :thumbup: )

And you are set. Being "coached" is good but there are not really a lot of guys around who would really do coaching.

You need to hook up with the locals who ride (Duran and his mob) .. and ask if your lightie can ride with them now and again and you will shuttle them.

That way he (and you) gets to learn from them just from riding with them

Take him to Dan Dobinson at iRide Africa. Bliksemse vinnig rider and an all round awesome chap. Then when Pottie gets back, he generally hosts some skills sessions in Tokai, Contermans & Jonkers.

But for the moment - Dan is your man.

You need:

1x bakkie

1x willing driver

2x bikes (one for you :thumbup: )

And you are set. Being "coached" is good but there are not really a lot of guys around who would really do coaching.

You need to hook up with the locals who ride (Duran and his mob) .. and ask if your lightie can ride with them now and again and you will shuttle them.

That way he (and you) gets to learn from them just from riding with them

Or as Nige says... Duran's a bit out of the loop at the moment thanks to a hand injury, but he's also a lekker oke to ride with.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

but - how many people actually know that it is what they want at 5, 6,7,8. all of the top guys were doing pewee, bikes etc at that age... Sure its dedication - but there must be something inside of you that makes you want to have that dedication and you either have it or you don't. I mean i know some guys that were really good bmx competitors during the craze...but when that faded so did they...these okes continued to the next level.

Watching Sam Hill almost break up reminiscing 5 years later about 2008 VDS on Won't Break Down is evidence of the level of commitment and passion you have to have to be at that level of the sport.

Ya totally no one actually knows what they want to do when they are 12 or so.

I mean it was only when he was 17 that Gregs ballie sent him overseas to try his hand at racing as by that point he knew that was what he wanted to do.

He wanted to race here before that and was always keen to win at age 15 or 16. but its just about the lightie riding at that age until he is 16 - get them racing at 13 at national level - but dont put any pressure on them to win - they must just have fun and do their best. This drives the passion and they start pushing themselves against their mates. (I know thats what happened with me ... I was always pissed off when Greg or someone else beat me. - but I was still happy if i knew i had given it my all).

So then - if the lightie has the drive - you send him over to compete in the junior ranks - DONT wait till hes in elite - because then its too late - a couple of races in their school holidays in Europe will give them the focus to push harder - 2 seasons of that and they should be ready.

---

As for Sam - that is dedication - but also remorse for letting down himself, his fans and his country when he was on such a good run and could have just backed off to make sure he would get the win and be safe. That feeling of knowing you were on a blinder and pull one out like Loic this weekend is devastating! (been there done that)

Edited by nigelhicks

Like with most things, TITS does help. At 43 I'm not likely to be clearing Jug's anytime soon but the likelihood of hitting a smaller gap jump seems likely (even though I am gravitationally challenged...meaning I like both wheels on the ground!) That and the fact that work awaits on Monday morning!!

Had I had the opportunity at 10 years old, things might have been a bit different. I didn't though. I only had the opportunity a few years ago and I am glad I got it. It was also thanks to people like Nige that took the time to introduce us to the sport. One Noob DH Day resulted in the sale of at least 3-4 DH bikes if I recall...

Thing is that you have to be in the scene to benefit. Guys will help where they can. Heaps of natural talent and titanium balls also can't hurt!