Online Racing - Virtualtraining (Cyclops)

Garfield2010

Maybe a stupid question -

If i buy the Powerbeam Pro do i need the Joule GPS ?

I have an iPad and would like to set up my training rides with intervals.

Is the Joule GPS just for outoors and recording your virtual ride ?

Nope. forget the joule the ipad is more than enough...you can set resistance on it in freeride mode...ie sit at 100W and then for 200W for another couple of minutes

Or you can create workouts and let the ergo trainer manage the resistance on your behalf...this is prefered imo

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Skinnyone

So you can control your interval workouts through an iPad and the PowerAgent software ?

Sounds like a bit of a relief after i bought my Garmin GPS not so long ago.

If anything I think its easier in the Ipad...nice intuitive display when creating workouts or in freeride mode.

@powertap - 2 questions:

1 - I have a powertap wheel, a manually controlled trainer and an ipad - can I join the party if I add the Ant+ dongle and software?

2 - If I buy a powerbeam pro trainer, can I use it as an "ordinary" trainer without the tablet?

If I understand correctly, all you need is a Wahoo Ant+ dongle for Ipad.

@powertap - 2 questions:

1 - I have a powertap wheel, a manually controlled trainer and an ipad - can I join the party if I add the Ant+ dongle and software?

2 - If I buy a powerbeam pro trainer, can I use it as an "ordinary" trainer without the tablet?

looking at Dave's guide you can...however

All our races thusfar have only been for controlled resistance trainers...no speed to power or power to speed devices are allowed to participate...Not a biggie, we can just open it up to other options.

I would like to know what advantage or disadvantage these power to speed and speed to power units will have over us IDT folk

looking at Dave's guide you can...however

All our races thusfar have only been for controlled resistance trainers...no speed to power or power to speed devices are allowed to participate...Not a biggie, we can just open it up to other options.

I would like to know what advantage or disadvantage these power to speed and speed to power units will have over us IDT folk

probly about 10k difference :ph34r:

probly about 10k difference :ph34r:

hahahha

No but really...powerbeam = 10500, powertap hub 10500. Nothing init ito price...but ito virtual trainer, why can we specify that we want to exclude power to speed and speed to power devices....do they have any advantage in the VR environment?

If you have a hub, that will serve as the speed cadence sensor and will talk to the ANT dongle. then you would need a basic trainer like the Fluid2 or Jet fluid pro to sit your bike on.

The power to speed or speed to power option has no advantage to the PowerBeam system, in some respects you may be at a very slight disadvantage in that the trainer won't simulate the climbs...the power readings will be more accurate using the hub tho...

Edited by PowerTap

OK SO I NEED TO SELL MY TACX, CLEARLY,,

ROUXTJIE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO BUY IN LIST FORM

1)

2)

3)

EVERYTHING I NEED ONCE

AND WHERE

@Dipslick, have a look at the chart on the previous page, if you have a "go big or go home" budget then you need

PowerBeam Pro BLE

iPad 3 and up (4/Air and Mini)/Android 4.3 tablet using Bluetooth 4.0 or higher

Something to sweat into...

You have a Ipad Dips....so just powerbeam

And like Dave said....that is really it....no this kuk and that kuk or this spec laptop and here is the real lekker part.... It works like it says on the box. And if it doesn't the boys in woodmead will sort you out or one of us can. Get the bluetooth version if you can...makes things even simpler.

1.Open box

2.Kick legs of the trainer out

3.Fit speed and cadence sensor with rubber bands provided

4.Download Ipad app whilst doing above(about 50mb)

5.Pair the things with the Ipad and fit bike to trainer

6.Rock and roll baby.

Shouldnt take more than 20min.

Edited by rouxtjie

You have a Ipad Dips....so just powerbeam

And like Dave said....that is really it....no this kuk and that kuk or this spec laptop and here is the real lekker part.... It works like it says on the box. And if it doesn't the boys in woodmead will sort you out or one of us can. Get the bluetooth version if you can...makes things even simpler.

1.Open box

2.Kick legs of the trainer out

3.Fit speed and cadence sensor with rubber bands provided

4.Download Ipad app whilst doing above(about 50mb)

5.Pair the things with the Ipad and fit bike to trainer

6.Rock and roll baby.

Shouldnt take more than 20min.

so you must you order the powerbeam pro or powerbeam pro with bluetooth? Can not find a powerbeam pro with bluetooth on the site, it only says pro

Edited by flat29

so you must you order the powerbeam pro or powerbeam pro with bluetooth? Can not find a powerbeam pro with bluetooth on the site, it only says pro

Its either Ant+ or BLE(bluetooth)....they look exactly the same function the same, the one just talks via bluetooths and the other Ant+

check the cyclops international site, I think they might have it there. Also its a couple of bucks cheaper than the Ant+ version.

THANKS, ILL SEND A DRIVER

OK IF ANYONE KNOWS SOMEONE WHO WANTS A TACX(DOUBT IT) GOT A BRAND NEW ONE FOR SALE :ph34r:

Mooi man :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

will send invites to our races as soon as you get it. You gots my number.