Tow-truck drivers

JohnnyReggae

Heading through Claremont Main road this morning, 3 tow-trucks were trying to outdo each other getting to an accident. All 3 shot past me and then in and out of traffic, through red traffic lights, hooting at the other cars, just being general hooligans.

Caught up with them when they actually stopped at a red traffic light, and I must have had a very disproving look on my face as I didn't say a word, but one of the guys proceeded to try explain why they were driving like maniacs. The only words I heard were "It's important". Well their "important" accident was just past the next traffic light were some poor dude rear ended some other guy.

3 tow-trucks then proceeded to block traffic and create a huge issue out of something quite small IMO.

I suppose it's flogging a dead horse getting annoyed with tow-truck drivers, but I was quite annoyed at being placed in a dangerous situation by these vultures who were trying a score a tow from a fairly low-key fender-bender.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody taxis and Tow-truck drivers, I just need to see them and my blood boils, even if they are obeying the law.

The best part is trying to get your car back once they've towed it. R 10 - 20k isn't uncommon, and they've got you over a barrel.

Heading through Claremont Main road this morning, 3 tow-trucks were trying to outdo each other getting to an accident. All 3 shot past me and then in and out of traffic, through red traffic lights, hooting at the other cars, just being general hooligans.

Caught up with them when they actually stopped at a red traffic light, and I must have had a very disproving look on my face as I didn't say a word, but one of the guys proceeded to try explain why they were driving like maniacs. The only words I heard were "It's important". Well their "important" accident was just past the next traffic light were some poor dude rear ended some other guy.

3 tow-trucks then proceeded to block traffic and create a huge issue out of something quite small IMO.

I suppose it's flogging a dead horse getting annoyed with tow-truck drivers, but I was quite annoyed at being placed in a dangerous situation by these vultures who were trying a score a tow from a fairly low-key fender-bender.

It is a real problem . Use to be in the tow-truck industry and there are not such thing as a Low-key fender-bender accident . A Tow is a tow and if you not first on the scene then you don't get the tow , the money and the car . The system is a total stuff up . What should happen is that calls to an accident should be assigned to a operator by an independent body . Only operators that's registered with the body will be used . Now I know this works in other countries , but here in this place it will turn into another pit of corruption !!

No matter where ... Down at the coast or in gauteng we get these brainless idiots all over. Taxi's or truck drivers, they just don't care about others on the road. Glad you are safe and could share their brainless affords..

Tow trucks is another service that should be the responsibility of the local traffic authorities. Like the taxi world, the early bird eats, so they take huge risks for the financial rewards.

I remember driving on the autobahn from Austria to Germany last year in December and all of a sudden all 4 lanes were blocked up. There was a 18 wheeler that jack-knifed and capsized due to ice on the road. I thought... here we go! the rest of the day "moertoe". They closed off 1 x lane from the oncoming side and had 2 cranes on site in less than 15 minutes. They picked up the truck body and trailer and placed it neatly in the far right lane (slow lane) to be cleared up further. 3 of the 4 lanes were opened again, and within 40 minutes we were all moving alond as if nothing happened. The trucks all filtered back into the slow lane once they passed the accident and traffic proceeded to flow normally after about 500m from the accident. No weaving, no 4 lane truck battles, all very well ordered due to fast reaction times, well behaved motorists (and truck drivers) and a bit of common sense, all of which seems to be lacking here in the republic.

After an accident about 14 years ago I was charged R700 for a tow truck company to throw what was left of my 400 Bandit motorcycle onto their bakkie, drive literally about 1.3km and drop it off at my house after my accident.

I have no time for these vultures.

Saw two more TT racers this morning along the M7. Mounting islands, weaving between robots and cutting people off. Scary stuff.

I once saw one racing down the yellow line on the concrete highway near Maraisburg Road. There was a big accident just further down. He was doing about 160kmh in one of those adapted bakkies.

The problem was he didn't notice the broken down taxi which was in the same lane as him, and spotted it way too late.

He locked all the wheels trying to stop but as i said it was too late, and he hit with a lot of force.

I really had little to no sympathy for him and thought it was just deserts for these guys, but i think it was a pretty serious accident.

My 2 cents worth - regulate these guys and get them to do primary accident scene response. They always beat JMPD there.

I once saw one racing down the yellow line on the concrete highway near Maraisburg Road. There was a big accident just further down. He was doing about 160kmh in one of those adapted bakkies.

The problem was he didn't notice the broken down taxi which was in the same lane as him, and spotted it way too late.

He locked all the wheels trying to stop but as i said it was too late, and he hit with a lot of force.

I really had little to no sympathy for him and thought it was just deserts for these guys, but i think it was a pretty serious accident.

My 2 cents worth - regulate these guys and get them to do primary accident scene response. They always beat JMPD there.

I once thought it would be a good idea for all tow truck drivers to be certified paramedics but then I drove past one drinking cheap brandy in his truck at about 10am in the morning and realised what a *** idea that would be.

I once thought it would be a good idea for all tow truck drivers to be certified paramedics but then I drove past one drinking cheap brandy in his truck at about 10am in the morning and realised what a *** idea that would be.

These days there are a number of ER24-type of accident chasers. Driving equally reckless ( but with blazing red lights ). At least , they could be saving a life - depends which of the three gets to the scene first.