• Michael Bay

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw two great movies this weekend.

Shaolin (2011) 8/10

After ambushing and killing his rival, losing everything in the process, dispirited warlord Hou Jie turns to a Shaolin monastery seeking salvation.

Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993) 8/10.

A prepubescent chess prodigy refuses to harden himself in order to become a champion like the famous but unlikable Bobby Fischer.

I've been strengthening my kung fu this week by visiting a couple of old favourites starring Donnie Yen. After Shaolin (2011) 8/10 (mentioned above, starring Andy Lau) I watched Ip Man (2008) 8/10 and Ip Man 2 (2010) 7/10. Since I'm on the Ip Man trip I've also got The Grandmaster (2013) lined up for this weekend. I saw it when it came out but I never got around to rating it. It was nominated for two Oscars: Cinematography and Costume Design.

Then I'll return to Donnie Yen with two I haven't seen yet: Painted Skin (2008) in which he fights a vampire and 14 Blades (2010) in which he's James Bond for the Ming Dynasty.

I took a break from all my kung fu/wuxia movies to watch Amelie (2001). Always heard it was such a great movie but never wanted to watch a "French chick-flick". Boy, am I happy to be proven wrong. This is everything a movie should be: Fun, entertaining, creative... I'm kind of glad I never watched it when I was younger, as I don't think I would have appreciated it as much as I do now.

9/10.

I took a break from all my kung fu/wuxia movies to watch Amelie (2001). Always heard it was such a great movie but never wanted to watch a "French chick-flick". Boy, am I happy to be proven wrong. This is everything a movie should be: Fun, entertaining, creative... I'm kind of glad I never watched it when I was younger, as I don't think I would have appreciated it as much as I do now.

9/10.

LOOOOVE this movie!

Still got the VHS tape.   :blush:

Edited by Imploder

9/10.

Brilliant movie!

Wasn't 'Delicatessen' done by the same director?

Brilliant movie!

Wasn't 'Delicatessen' done by the same director?

Yes, though I haven't seen it. Saw The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover (1989) ages ago and it scarred me for life.  :P

Returned to my kung fu voyage and watched 2 bio pics: The Grandmaster (2013) and Fearless (2006). The Grandmaster was nominated for two Oscars and the cinematogrophy is absolutely stunning. I'd recommend it just for that alone. But watching I felt that the movie was divided in two parts: The first part is about Ip Man and his rise to fame, while the second part is about Gong Er and her quest for vengeance. While still beautifully shot, I got a little bored with her story. So, 7/10 for The Grandmaster.

Fearless (2006) is one of those rare jewels: Jet Li in top form making a movie that combines good storytelling with interesting characters and a philosophy that shows what wushu is all about, rather than trying to tell you. Plus, great action! 8/10

Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind (2018) 8/10. A compassionate look at an extraordinary man with an extraordinary mind. Consists mainly of interviews with friends and family and footage of shows. 

Confucius (2010) 7/10. Starring Chow Yun-Fat. Apparently, there was some controversy when the film was released as the Chinese govt ordered Avatar pulled off 2-D screens so more people would watch Confucius, which caused a backlash. I liked it more than the current IMDB rating would suggest (6.2) but wish they had focused a bit more on what he taught.

Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame (2010) 8/10. Nominated and won a few awards, mainly for special effects. Starring Andy Lau. Scooby Doo meets kung fu meets the Tang Dynasty. I like it because it had a good story, even though the plot wasn't that difficult to figure out. What freaked me out was the subtitles, which seemed to provide information for what the people were thinking as well as what they were saying. Made for an interesting movie, though, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) 8/10.

Finally! Pain in the butt waiting for the official digital release so I can watch a good HD copy at home while trying to avoid spoilers, but it's a price I'm happy to pay so I never have to set foot in another theater again and have the whole experience ruined for me by entitled scrotumbags.

What a blast! Don't know how much the Russo brothers have earned from this franchise but they're worth every penny (and by penny I mean millions of dollars).

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) 8/10.

Finally! Pain in the butt waiting for the official digital release so I can watch a good HD copy at home while trying to avoid spoilers, but it's a price I'm happy to pay so I never have to set foot in another theater again and have the whole experience ruined for me by entitled scrotumbags.

What a blast! Don't know how much the Russo brothers have earned from this franchise but they're worth every penny (and by penny I mean millions of dollars).

Saw Infinity 3 times in cinemas! Kid you not. Hands down my favourite Marvel film (followed closely by CA: Winter Soldier). 

Now that it's on digital release, I can pirate a high quality version.  :ph34r:

Mission Impossible:Fallout - What a ride!!!

If you're in the mood for just ridiculous, action filled, mayhem. This is the movie to go see.

Lots and lots of Tom doing his sprinting thing - LOL! for a 56 yr old the dude can still move.

I then went and watched the James Corden and TC Skydive and loved the movie even more.

A rollicking 8/10!

Just saw the new MI yes @imploder

It was fantastic

Full of twists

And those action-packed scenes - superb