• Martin Scorsese
    • Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

I enjoy the mature Clint Eastwood's films, they reflect on a lot of human nature. Other good ones from him that I have seen include "Flags of our Fathers",  "Letters from Iwo JIma", "Gran Torino" but there is a  lot more, he runs deep this dood does.

He did change the story of the Chris the sniper though (which is quite entitled to do), made it more ambivalent, the real Chris was pretty much gung-ho Stars & Strips all the way (to the grave)

Just been checking through his directing credits...I see the next is Sully. That I want to see! 

Back to war movies...apologies if I mentioned this before...but this was a good watch. Different treatment of a war movie.

post-1604-0-98982200-1457367553_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tumbleweed

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy the mature Clint Eastwood's films, they reflect on a lot of human nature. Other good ones from him that I have seen include "Flags of our Fathers",  "Letters from Iwo JIma", "Gran Torino" but there is a  lot more, he runs deep this dood does.

He did change the story of the Chris the sniper though (which is quite entitled to do), made it more ambivalent, the real Chris was pretty much gung-ho Stars & Strips all the way (to the grave)

I'm guessing that's a spoiler  :whistling:  :D

Edited by Stretch

Well the story & fate of Navy Seal Chris was in the news, its not a figment of someone's imagination. His widow was at the recent "town hall meeting" CNN organised with President Obama over his new gun control decrees.  Must say those Navy Seals are seriously hard core dudes,

Tumbles I enjoyed 'Emperor' as well, also based on fact, but 'ole Mac lost the plot after Japan in Korea, serious dog of war that one. And revisionist history has shown his bloody "I will be back" re-invasion of the Philippines was entirely unnecessary. 300 000 civilians died in the retaking of Manila from the Japanese. That guy was a force unto himself.

Whilst we are on the subject of post war/conquest of  Japan ...   Marlin  "the horror, the horror" Brando in  "Sayonara"

Edited by kosmonooit

Some good movies there.

As for Chris Kyle, have you read the biography that the movie is based on, also called American Sniper? Pretty good read.

I thoroughly enjoyed American Sniper, though I prefer fact based movies like that over a pure Hollywood script...

Same here, think I may just watch it again.

Even have those movies that you are destined never to see the end of...

This is one of mine. I don't think I am supposed to watch it the whole way through...seems complete enough where I got up to.

post-1604-0-74260700-1457415694_thumb.jpg 

Guest notmyname

This is one of mine. I don't think I am supposed to watch it the whole way through...seems complete enough where I got up to.

220px-Into-the-wild.jpg

Great film..

Great film..

Yeah, I really got into. Got what was in Chris's head. Loved the characters that come into and out of his life, but for some reason or other, I have just never got to the end. I know how it ends. I"m just not interested in watching it, and have invented a few endings of my own...

Must add...my love of the film is in no small part due to Eddie Vedder's great songs.  

Edited by Tumbleweed

Yeah, I really got into. Got what was in Chris's head. Loved the characters that come into and out of his life, but for some reason or other, I have just never got to the end. I know how it ends. I"m just not interested in watching it, and have invented a few endings of my own...

Must add...my love of the film is in no small part due to Eddie Vedder's great songs.  

superb film, that one. I could seriously see myself doing that, one year... 

superb film, that one. I could seriously see myself doing that, one year... 

Yeah, and like Chris, I have a fascination with Alaska. The last 14 months or so pushed me close to just dropping out like he did...  

But, yeah, one day...

I thoroughly enjoyed American Sniper, though I prefer fact based movies like that over a pure Hollywood script...

I think the movie had a very loose relationship with the actual facts and not my favourite Eastwood movie, that said I actually enjoyed the movie despite the "ra ra America!", very entertaining.

attachicon.gif220px-Into-the-wild.jpg

very well done movie...and complements the book nicely...both sad an heartwarming at the same time. Also introduced me to one of my favourite quotes:

" I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong, to measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions, facing the blind, deaf stone alone with nothing to help you but your hands and your own head."

Primo Levi

I think the movie had a very loose relationship with the actual facts and not my favourite Eastwood movie, that said I actually enjoyed the movie despite the "ra ra America!", very entertaining.

By his own admission

Two films in particular that one is prone to nodding off and waking up when its all over:

Space Odyssey 2001 (really does get weird at the end ...)  classic sfx, long time before CGI, before the moon landing as well.

Solaris  took me a few attempts to get to see this one through, and wow its a MF of note when you do manage to stay awake and do the distance,

Edited by kosmonooit

By his own admission

Two films in particular that one is prone to nodding of and waking up when its all over:

Space Odyssey 2001 (really does get weird at the end ...)  classic sfx, long time before CGI

Solaris  took me a few attempts to get to see this one through, and wow its a MF of note when you do manage to stay awake and do the distance,

Solaris... wow, I need to watch that again. Mind-fark 

I think he was trying to explore the effects that killing so many people can have on one, and in an interview I saw with him he discussed this and he said used the book as a basis of the movie, admittedly adding his own interpretation.

Talking war movies,.how about "The Deer Hunter" (1978), that's a classic imo, Robert De Niro, John Savage, Christopehr Walking, Meryl Streep, how war effects a group of friends, people, powerful stuff.