• Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

Remember, it's science fiction, not science fact. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol

aaah...but you can have good science fiction that has fact too

i can overlook the whole carbon dating thing that everyone had a go at for prometheus...but this was too far for me!  :P

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, it's science fiction, not science fact. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

still has to be science logical though. thats the thing that got me with The Martian. Even though it was a good movie and most of it made sense, the 2 main scenes in the movie, i.e the rocket being destroyed by the wind at the beginning and the take off at the end where he just had a thin sheet as protection while taking off, didnt gel. The taking off thing is probably possible due to the non existent atmosphere, but if there is a non existent atmosphere, how can you have such strong winds in the beginning?

still has to be science logical though. thats the thing that got me with The Martian. Even though it was a good movie and most of it made sense, the 2 main scenes in the movie, i.e the rocket being destroyed by the wind at the beginning and the take off at the end where he just had a thin sheet as protection while taking off, didnt gel. The taking off thing is probably possible due to the non existent atmosphere, but if there is a non existent atmosphere, how can you have such strong winds in the beginning?

Mars still has an atmosphere, it's just not as dense as ours. I think it's at 1/3rd the density or something. So with the storms they get there, there's every chance it's possible. 

Mars still has an atmosphere, it's just not as dense as ours. I think it's at 1/3rd the density or something. So with the storms they get there, there's every chance it's possible. 

I actually read a write up after watching the movie as I was intersted and it said they could never have such powerful winds. the wind could still be a 200 km/h wind but it will have no power.

if a rocket doing 200 km/h only needs a thin piece of plastic as a windshield then it shows how little power a 200k wind will have.

I actually read a write up after watching the movie as I was intersted and it said they could never have such powerful winds. the wind could still be a 200 km/h wind but it will have no power.

if a rocket doing 200 km/h only needs a thin piece of plastic as a windshield then it shows how little power a 200k wind will have.

It wasn't a rocket. It was a cabriolet :whistling: 

fair enough, and logical now that I think about it. 

200kph with a density of air 1/3rd that of ours will be essentially the cube root of 200, if my physics isn't failing me... so 6kph equivalent on our atmosphere. 

Wow. 

The most-frequently used science fiction moment is when the hero runs away in a fire fight and faces a hail of machine gun bullets

And may end up wth a graze on the arm ????

Arrival (2016). 8/10. Very good movie. Slow-moving and atmospheric, but cleverly-written and both the story and the characters draw you in.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016). 9/10. Small disclaimer: I was never a huge fan of the Harry Potter books or movies. I think I was maybe just a little bit too old when they came out, because I really like fantasy and I tried very hard to like them. Read three books and got bored, watched two movies and got bored.

That's why I was surprised to like Fantastic Beasts so much. A large part of that is due to Eddie Redmayne, who is simply brilliant in his role as Newt Scamander, the wizard obsessed with magical beasts and protecting them. Reminded me a little of Gerald Durrell, whose books I read over and over again growing up (or maybe Steve Irwin, if you've never heard of Gerald Durrell). Socially awkward and distracted, it is delightful to watch him become confident and authoritative when interacting with the beasts he loves so much.

His story is quite a simple one, trying to catch the beasts that escaped while on his way to Arizona, but it plays out against a much larger backdrop of political intrigue as suspicion and paranoia build in the wizards' community, who are deathly (and reasonably) afraid of having their existence exposed to ordinary humans.

watched "why him" last night because felt like some light hearted entertainment...what a load of crud. Cant believe Bryan Cranston sunk to such depths

watched "why him" last night because felt like some light hearted entertainment...what a load of crud. Cant believe Bryan Cranston sunk to such depths

Cranston needs to hire a new agent. He has a habit of acting in very shitty movies. He's even in the upcoming Power Rangers movie.

what about the impact of the particulate matter impinging upon the hard surface of the rocket? At very high wind speeds with low atmospheric density than the pressured exerted on a surface would be dominated by by the particulates entrained in the air. Unless the particles are just so light anyway, the momentum transfer, even summed across the exposed surface of the rocket facing the wind, is negligible....

Also, with rockets taking off, the take off speed is surprisingly low. this lower speed coincidences at low altitudes where air pressure is highest. As the rocket ascends and lightens in mass, it also reaches altitudes with lower air pressure. I can see the plastic wrap cabriolet working.

Edited by Capricorn

Arrival (2016). 8/10. Very good movie. Slow-moving and atmospheric, but cleverly-written and both the story and the characters draw you in.

The focus on linguistics and critical nuances in language we take for granted, was refreshing and very though provoking.

The focus on linguistics and critical nuances in language we take for granted, was refreshing and very though provoking.

yeah, I loved it until the last 5/10 minutes or so. Just got a bit... strange. 

yeah, I loved it until the last 5/10 minutes or so. Just got a bit... strange. 

the door to a follow-up movie was left wide open: that explanation she gave to the daughter as to why daddy was no longer around. that's a big question unanswered in the movie: what did he mean she was on the wrong side?

the door to a follow-up movie was left wide open: that explanation she gave to the daughter as to why daddy was no longer around. that's a big question unanswered in the movie: what did he mean she was on the wrong side?

Very true...