Looks are important

PrinceVlad

So here's the thing....I've entered the Bela Bela 5150, Tri Rock and 70.3 in January. In between I'm doing the 94.7.

I've now started the exercise of searching for a bike. I'm not interested in competing or fast times....my aim is to complete the events I've entered.

As a result of having to buy a wetsuit' Trisuit and the like I've decided to limit myself to about R8000. For this price your looking at the Silverback Strela 3, Trek 1.2 (both with Sora Groupsets), the Specialized Secteur (with 2300 Groupset) and Merida Scultura 901 (with the newer 2400 Groupset). I think all of these would serve my purposes taking into account my goals.

From the mentioned bikes I like the looks of the Specialized the most. Now the question is how far should looks fo in deciding which bike to buy?

I based my current bike almost purely on looks. Everytime I walk past it in the garage...I stop for a bit and just stare...drool a bit...and then make whateva excuse necessary to ride it

Bikes are expensive and therefore must look good to you. Luckily we all have different tastes though.

Mine did come with good components though...certainly makes the decision easier.

Good luck with the decision.

a comfortable bike is better than a "good looking" bike IMO.

then again, "good looking" bikes is such a subjective matter.

Just bought a spez epic and must say looks played a big part, my wife saw it in the shop and she even said she loves the looks and normally she dont bother with my bike. Im collecting it tomorrow and since Ramadan is starting I will be looking at it for the next month

Guest Zeitgeist

So here's the thing....I've entered the Bela Bela 5150, Tri Rock and 70.3 in January. In between I'm doing the 94.7.

I've now started the exercise of searching for a bike. I'm not interested in competing or fast times....my aim is to complete the events I've entered.

As a result of having to buy a wetsuit' Trisuit and the like I've decided to limit myself to about R8000. For this price your looking at the Silverback Strela 3, Trek 1.2 (both with Sora Groupsets), the Specialized Secteur (with 2300 Groupset) and Merida Scultura 901 (with the newer 2400 Groupset). I think all of these would serve my purposes taking into account my goals.

From the mentioned bikes I like the looks of the Specialized the most. Now the question is how far should looks fo in deciding which bike to buy?

you should approach it like marriage. You marry the comfortable and reliable one, and you "borrow" the hot one on weekends [note: this is s gender neutral post - fnar fnar fnar]

Guest Zeitgeist

My bike is all about looks. SS coming in at just over 10kg! But it will stop heads any which way you like. A bit like. Nigella Lawson if you will.

does your bike RIDE like Nigella Lawson? Maybe your shocks need a bit more air?

Actually, its a balancing act between the form and function.

I normally look at bikes i like the look of, then i test ride those and pic the best specced out of that bunch.

I feel bikes are a form of art....so i need to aesthetically enjoy it, but there is no sense trying to ride a 15kg downhill rig with 1000mmm of travel on a triathalon.

That being said, i have a secteur, and its always done fine by me.

For example

http://www.konabikeworld.com/bikes/2k7/STINKY/2K7_STINKY.jpg

The best veiw of these bikes is from the cockpit

Edited by DeFconOK

Moonlighting in a bike shop, I've noticed that men are more worried about looks than the ladies when it comes to stuff.

My bike is all about looks. SS coming in at just over 10kg! But it will stop heads any which way you like. A bit like. Nigella Lawson if you will.

Hopefully without the coke habit. Maintaining a bike is expensive enough as it is.