Kimmage Interviews Froome

Thug

Some of the meds used in inhalers are not banned, the one he needed did have a restricted substance, hence the TUE.

I think Ventolin is the one that needs a TUE....the one he uses when he has effort, according to him

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know Chris having never met him but he seems to be a regular down to earth guy that has an amazing talent.

During December whilst we were training for Attakwas, we spent quite a bit of time out at Van Gaalens/Magaliesberg and regularly would see Chris on his way back into town after a lengthy cycle. A quick toot on the horn would always be returned by a friendly wave!

I think though that the PR should have been left to Sky.

I hear you swiss, but those are the genes that were dealt to him...a legal TUE will alter the way his body naturally functions without it when it gets stressed. Is that fair to the athlete that got dealt the better genes ie the better athlete that doesnt need medicine to open his lungs.

Does that mean only a 100% natural "non corrected" athlete can compete?

No i dont think its fair, according to that philosphy hundred of thousands of asthma sufferers cannot compete.

Now where do you draw the line, what about hayfever sufferers...people allergic to bee stings...WE ALL take stuff that alters the way our bodies work, just read the label on your favourite USN / Gi32 / etc.... product.

But does it really enhance perfomance, that should be the question

Interesting that Kimmage draws no conclusion at the end of the article.

[iNSERT SNAKE IN THE GRASS MEME]

Interesting that Kimmage draws no conclusion at the end of the article.

Kimmage has laid into Froome in past articles. Seems he wanted to handle this as a simple Q&A for a change and allow readers to draw their own conclusions. Judging by some of the posts here, his approach worked.

very insightful post.

I wonder if after all this chris will get someone to manage his PR

with a girlfriend like Cound he needs one helluva PR company to manage his image. His popularity ratings drop every time she opens her mouth.

No i dont think its fair, according to that philosphy hundred of thousands of asthma sufferers cannot compete.

Now where do you draw the line, what about hayfever sufferers...people allergic to bee stings...WE ALL take stuff that alters the way our bodies work, just read the label on your favourite USN / Gi32 / etc.... product.

IMO yes swiss, in competition of course...If I need meds in competition I am not as good an athlete as the guy that doesnt need it. Again those are the cards that were dealt ito my genetic makeup and I have to make peace with it. Using meds to get back to a state where I don't need them in competition I think is fair.

Its seems it just depends how tolerant you are wrt this ...it doesnt matter though since the UCI says its fair. Rouxtjie from thehubsa's opinion doesnt matter.

An interesting sub-thread this question and it can become quite philosophical regarding where you draw the line. Should people with a low haematocrit be able to supplement it to get to the level of the "normal" guys? It's not the athlete's fault he didn't get the best genes. Isn't the point of athletics to ascertain who is the best (I guess in terms of nature and nurture) without any added supplements or anything? If you say asthma sufferers are allowed to perhaps take something "normal" athletes can't, is that not in effect levelling the playing field which is contradictory to the best man wins? So many questions!

rule or policy doesnt matter....they created the hype, but can't deliver when the chips are down. And no he needed his inhaler to race, the same inhaler that needed a TUE, not to get better

See below from the interview

CF: I take a protein drink, fish oils, energizer greens – a CMP vegetable drink -nothing out of the ordinary. I take Loratadine every day, an anti-histamine that helps me with skin reactions to sun creams and the rubbish that seems to flare up my skin. I take my inhaler every day.

PK: Is that Ventolin?

CF: Ventolin only if I’ve got effort. Fluticasone is a daily one, more a preventative, so I take two sprays.

PK: And it was Ventolin you used in the Dauphine?

CF: Yeah, so that was on the bike before a big effort.

PK: But is that using the inhaler to boost your performance? You’re taking it before a big effort, not because you . . .

CF: I eat breakfast before a long race. Is that not doing something to boost my performance? If I don’t eat I won’t have any energy; if I don’t have my inhaler before a really big effort I’m probably not going to be able to breathe very well. I know I’m not going to be able to breathe very well.

You're confusing the issues, he needed the TUE for prednisone to get better.

He doesn't need a TUE for the inhaler generally, the UCI rules are clear when you need TUE for asthma inhaler:

THERAPEUTIC USE EXEMPTION

What is a Therapeutic Use Exemption?

Riders, like all others, may have illnesses or injuries which require them to take particular medications. If the medication which you need to treat an illness or medical condition is included in the Prohibited List, you must apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) if you wish to take the medication. After the UCI Therapeutic Use Exemption Committee has reviewed the application, you may be given authorization to take the needed medicine.

2. IF YOU NEED TO USE BETA-2 AGONISTS FOR ASTHMA

Submitting a TUE for the use of Beta-2 Agonists for Asthma depends on the “drug” which is used to treat your asthma. Please pay attention to the substance which is included in your inhaler!

2a. Beta-2 agonists for asthma (Salmeterol /Salbutamol/Formoterol): you do not need to submit any TUE if you take inhaled Salmeterol, Salbutamol (up to a daily dose of 1600 μg) and/or Formoterol (up to a daily dose of 54 μg).

2b. Terbutaline or other Beta-2 agonist:

If you take Terbutaline for the treatment of asthma, you must submit a TUE for Asthma and a full medical file to confirm the diagnosis of asthma and/or it’s clinical variants. The medical file should include:

• A detailed medical history and clinical review

• Lung function test with spirometry

• Bronchodilator response

• Bronchial provocation tests

To assist your doctor in completing the correct tests, and providing the correct medical information, we suggest that he or she consults the WADA Guidelines on Asthma click here.

If the TUE for Asthma is completed correctly with valid test results, the UCI TUE Committee may grant an approval for up to 4 years.

Edited by @Joecoolls

IMO yes swiss, in competition of course...If I need meds in competition I am not as good an athlete as the guy that doesnt need it. Again those are the cards that were dealt ito my genetic makeup and I have to make peace with it. Using meds to get back to a state where I don't need them in competition I think is fair.

Its seems it just depends how tolerant you are wrt this ...it doesnt matter though since the UCI says its fair. Rouxtjie from thehubsa's opinion doesnt matter.

I find your view very seductive. It would resolve many issues with regard to doping in professional sports.

The fundamental fact is that ventolin inhalers have no effect on someone that does not have constricted airways. They cannot open your airways up any more than as big as they should be. That's why UCI / WADA doesn't care about them.

Edited by @Joecoolls

I find your view very seductive. It would resolve many issues with regard to doping in professional sports.

Exactly....the greys become black or white.

The fundamental fact is that ventolin inhalers have no effect on someone that does not have constricted airways. They cannot open your airways up any more than as big as they should be. That's why UCI / WADA doesn't care about them.

Because they have superior genes....the better athlete if you will, and my point exactly.

You're confusing the issues, he needed the TUE for prednisone to get better.

He doesn't need a TUE for the inhaler generally, the UCI rules are clear when you need TUE for asthma inhaler:

THERAPEUTIC USE EXEMPTION

What is a Therapeutic Use Exemption?

Riders, like all others, may have illnesses or injuries which require them to take particular medications. If the medication which you need to treat an illness or medical condition is included in the Prohibited List, you must apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) if you wish to take the medication. After the UCI Therapeutic Use Exemption Committee has reviewed the application, you may be given authorization to take the needed medicine.

2. IF YOU NEED TO USE BETA-2 AGONISTS FOR ASTHMA

Submitting a TUE for the use of Beta-2 Agonists for Asthma depends on the “drug” which is used to treat your asthma. Please pay attention to the substance which is included in your inhaler!

2a. Beta-2 agonists for asthma (Salmeterol /Salbutamol/Formoterol): you do not need to submit any TUE if you take inhaled Salmeterol, Salbutamol (up to a daily dose of 1600 μg) and/or Formoterol (up to a daily dose of 54 μg).

2b. Terbutaline or other Beta-2 agonist:

If you take Terbutaline for the treatment of asthma, you must submit a TUE for Asthma and a full medical file to confirm the diagnosis of asthma and/or it’s clinical variants. The medical file should include:

• A detailed medical history and clinical review

• Lung function test with spirometry

• Bronchodilator response

• Bronchial provocation tests

To assist your doctor in completing the correct tests, and providing the correct medical information, we suggest that he or she consults the WADA Guidelines on Asthma click here.

If the TUE for Asthma is completed correctly with valid test results, the UCI TUE Committee may grant an approval for up to 4 years.

Ta, thanks for the correction....doesnt change my opinion though...