Kimmage Interviews Froome

Thug

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So that he can breathe.

If asthma inhalers won races, how many in the peloton would suddenly develop late-onset exercise-induced asthma that they'd all get TUE's for?

If TUEs were not secret I think you would be amazed.

I have seen it stated in some research that over 50% of world class athletes have asthma, compared to around 3% of the general population. The biggest advantage of most drugs used in an inhaler is not for performance enhancement but as a masking agent.

I tend to agree that it does take away from the best man wins/best genes win ethos but then I watch my youngster suffer with an asthma attack stopping a normally athletic kid in his tracks and change my mind.

It's complicated.

And further on that and I see Andy said "normal athletes"

What is a normal athlete ?

So we should then assume that the athlete with the perfect eye sight is normal and the guy with contact lenses is gaining an advantage ?

I am willing to bank on the fact that there is not one single individual on planet earth that does not have some sort of physical problem.

The fundamental fact is that ventolin inhalers have no effect on someone that does not have constricted airways. They cannot open your airways up any more than as big as they should be. That's why UCI / WADA doesn't care about them.

Interesting article supporting your view and that the normal inhalers doesn't even improve performance, but...

BOTTOM LINE: If you don’t have asthma, don’t use an inhaler. It won’t make you faster, stronger, or last longer, and you could unnecessarily subject yourself to performance-hindering side effects including dizziness, headaches, and nausea.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/fitness-coach/Will-An-Inhaler-Enhance-My-Performance-20120806.html

Will an Inhaler Enhance My Performance?

And further on that and I see Andy said "normal athletes"

What is a normal athlete ?

So we should then assume that the athlete with the perfect eye sight is normal and the guy with contact lenses is gaining an advantage ?

I am willing to bank on the fact that there is not one single individual on planet earth that does not have some sort of physical problem.

Yea definitely, everyone has a crooked something or the other...its how you play the cards that were dealt to you that makes you a champ or not.

You laugh? A few years ago there were sarcastic comments about how amazing it is that only asthma sufferers became professional riders. This was because the majority of pro riders had TUEs for asthma medication.

What is clear from all the latest disclosures is that ordinarily healthy bikes riders will never make champions.

LA with his cancer, CF with asthma, typhoid, bilharzia and chronic skin allergies, Tyler having eaten his twin.....

To think most of us ride because we think it keeps us healthy.

ahhh google...it must be fact then.

Let me guess...you have asthma pompie in your saddlebag

Whats a saddlebag?

Fact: there is no asthmatic advantage in sport

Whats a saddlebag?

Agreed from what I've read. But then also, we know strange tricks are pulled in cycling so maybe the inhaler is just a conduit for something else?

My position on Sky is that they're pushing the boundaries and they are taking things, e.g. tramadol, that although not against the rules, could definitely help indirectly.

Think of EPO. Before the testers discovered it, it was widely used and was legal only due to it not being known of. In my mind it should be a moral question, therefore rather stay away from anything just to be sure.

Agreed from what I've read. But then also, we know strange tricks are pulled in cycling so maybe the inhaler is just a conduit for something else?

My position on Sky is that they're pushing the boundaries and they are taking things, e.g. tramadol, that although not against the rules, could definitely help indirectly.

Think of EPO. Before the testers discovered it, it was widely used and was legal only due to it not being known of. In my mind it should be a moral question, therefore rather stay away from anything just to be sure.

Everyone pushes the rules.

Try some of the local vets and see what they get up to.

We get taught from young "rules are meant to be broken" all of us are always at the edge of just breaking rules.

This is high level sport and cycling unfortunately is in the limelight all the time.

Every single sport on this planet is pushing the boundaries.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

What is clear from all the latest disclosures is that ordinarily healthy bikes riders will never make champions.

LA with his cancer, CF with asthma, typhoid, bilharzia and chronic skin allergies, Tyler having eaten his twin.....

To think most of us ride because we think it keeps us healthy.

So that's what I did wrong? Inherited decent genes and didn't contract and life threatening illness?

Damnit. If I'd known that I would have shagged every truck stop prossie from here to Pofadder. I'd be writing my memoirs about my life as the only 10 time TdF winner.

Ok damnit - I have work to do.

I'm out :excl:

Whats a saddlebag?

Dont confuse the diagnoses with the treatment...the treatment does help him to level the playing field...see what I did there

Every single sport on this planet is pushing the boundaries.

actually, cycling probably the least, because its in the spotlight. There are other sports that are a joke

You laugh? A few years ago there were sarcastic comments about how amazing it is that only asthma sufferers became professional riders. This was because the majority of pro riders had TUEs for asthma medication.

This I did not know. :)

But my question still stands. Why aren't they all puffing away then?

My simple take on things.

The inhaler does not give him an advantage over other athletes, but it does give him an advantage on his personal performance.

A person with a condition should not be allowed to use something to better himself, not to get himself on even playing field with the rest.

If someone suffers from low testosterone, are they allowed to take some to put them into normal ranges.

It is the same thing, both form part of your genetic makeup.

The rules should either be strict and not allow anything or be laxy dazy and allow everything.