Who remembers?

DPG

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

School English Lit. set works back in the dark ages:

Lady Chatterly's Lover - had some pretty lewd parts, as I remember. As 16/17 year old boys, with hormones barking, we loved it.

The Cruel Sea - no sex as far as I recall!

The Good Companions - nothing to interest a schoolboy, though I find the social engineering failure it describes very interesting these days.

The Brothers Karamazov - might as well have been in Russian for us, though I enjoyed reading it again after a few decades!

Wonder what set works are these days?

Lady Chatterly's Lover - had some pretty lewd parts, as I remember. As 16/17 year old boys, with hormones barking, we loved it.

The Good Companions - nothing to interest a schoolboy, though I find the social engineering failure it describes very interesting these days.

The Brothers Karamazov - might as well have been in Russian for us, though I enjoyed reading it again after a few decades!

One of my kids did Animal Farm this year - grade 9. Don't know about the elder one...will ask him. Lord of the Flies has come up before. He did iLollipop a couple of years back.

Sounds a lot like David Gemmell...

Every book has exactly the same plot, anti-hero, or reluctant hero, who gets stuck in a walled place with a hot chich who can't stand him and also can't keep her clothes on with an approaching army...

fixed - for wilbur smith...

Edited by Latent_Blue

One of my kids did Animal Farm this year - grade 9. Don't know about the elder one...will ask him. Lord of the Flies has come up before. He did iLollipop a couple of years back.

I left out Lord of the Flies.

Again, didn't really get it when I was at school, but it makes sense now, especially in our current circumstances.

Animal Farm is a classic though, also sort of pertinent in modern SA.

Wasn't that banned for a very long time?

One of my kids did Animal Farm this year - grade 9.

Glad to see that's still on the syllabus - I expect matrics will be required to read see spot run in the future.

I wish Ayn Rand's atlas shrugged could be added - that's a tough read but so good.

we did

That Play

offset by Twelfth Night

and 30 years later my eldest did Lord of the Flies as well - much better this time round

Lady Chatterly's Lover was tame after I secretly read Mario Puzo's The Godfather at the tender age of 16... 

We had Othello in Matric.  I'll never forget the period where we had to cover the part where Iago tells Brabantio that his daughter and the Moor are busy making the beast with two backs......

Our poor English teacher was never the same after that.....

We had Othello in Matric.  I'll never forget the period where we had to cover the part where Iago tells Brabantio that his daughter and the Moor are busy making the beast with two backs......

We had The Winter's Tale. The teacher raced past this line: 

"...with such delicate burthens of dildos and fadings, ‘jump her and thump her'..."

We had Othello in Matric. I'll never forget the period where we had to cover the part where Iago tells Brabantio that his daughter and the Moor are busy making the beast with two backs......

Poor Mr Anderson ????

We had The Winter's Tale. The teacher raced past this line: 

"...with such delicate burthens of dildos and fadings, ‘jump her and thump her'..."

Sadly, my (excellent) English teacher knew not to pick any Shakespeare because she understood that she would never get half her Karoo Boereseuns through matric. It is a bit of a hole in my education.  

Edited by DJR

Poor Mr Anderson

It was Mr. Kooyman.......

And given what we suspected back then, but now know, we can only imagine what he was thinking!

Sadly, my (excellent) English teacher knew not to pick any Shakespeare because she understood that she would never get half her Karoo Boereseuns through matric. It is a bit of a hole in my education.  

My girlfriend in matric knew all the naughty references in Shakespeare. She gave me quite an, um, education...

Warning: If a old school sweetheart pops up later in life, and suggests meeting for coffee, do not - I repeat - do not suggest a cappuccino at your place. If you do, make sure you don't have bunnies.

Can anyone remember a setwork collection of SA short stories that had a rather disturbing piece about a woman having relations with a dog? "Mrs Brown..." or something? 

Can anyone remember a setwork collection of SA short stories that had a rather disturbing piece about a woman having relations with a dog? "Mrs Brown..." or something? 

I do remember the dodgy version of "Old Mother Hubbard"

"When she bent over, Rover took over, and gave her a bone of his own....."