2015 S Works Epic

Johny Bravo

For 130k i would by a santa cruz and go on 2holidays to alps and whistler. But hey if you feel the need to over compensate for something, go ahead. Its a bike i think specialized should only offer to people who have done certain races to justify it. We all know how it feels when some rich kid who cant ride for sh#t had the same bike as you do.

thats fine bud until you find yourself at cape epic with a cracked rocker on the santa cruz as i did. had to rely on helicopter tape to get me home as the agents were not there and hardly made and effort to help me (my shop tried hard). any of the top brands are well represented at all major events, part of the cost goes towards that - a premium i am happy to pay. buy a niche brand and enjoy your cool status, but know if **** goes down you are on your own.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on another note does anyone know of an aftermarket cover for the front derailleur hole on the spez epic ( i am now running 1x11)

I am sure that opening pic of the Spaz, with all the lifestyle goodies on the background graphic, belongs to a BMW

Haha. Nah, BMW keyfobs are better looking ;)

thats fine bud until you find yourself at cape epic with a cracked rocker on the santa cruz as i did. had to rely on helicopter tape to get me home as the agents were not there and hardly made and effort to help me (my shop tried hard). any of the top brands are well represented at all major events, part of the cost goes towards that - a premium i am happy to pay. buy a niche brand and enjoy your cool status, but know if **** goes down you are on your own.

Maybe at the epic ,but i have never seen spez agents at any other big stage events

Maybe at the epic ,but i have never seen spez agents at any other big stage events

I have seen them at plenty events in Cape Town. Can help you with small niggles, but ja, if you crack frame, I think you are screwed.

Cracking a rocker is not your run of the mill failure and to be honest I've never seen a spare rocker on a shelf in any of the bike shops I frequent. However, at this years Epic I saw plenty of Specialized Epics with broken derailleur hangers and the Specialized guys at the race had none in stock. Considering how many loyal Specialized riders there were, that is seriously uncool.

at Sani 2013, Spez gave my partner and I Epic S-Works to ride all 3 days. We both now own Epic S-Works.....great marketing!!!

at Sani 2013, Spez gave my partner and I Epic S-Works to ride all 3 days. We both now own Epic S-Works.....great marketing!!!

Santa cruz don,t have to give bikes away or sponsor every other wannabe to get sales .It is all done by word of mouth .As a spez owner you are paying for the marketing when you buy an overinflated bling-works

Santa cruz don,t have to give bikes away or sponsor every other wannabe to get sales .It is all done by word of mouth .As a spez owner you are paying for the marketing when you buy an overinflated bling-works

Going off topic here dude. This is not a Santa Cruz vs debate. R35k for a frame without a fork is not exactly cheap. Then when considering Santa Cruz wont win you any races, it makes even less sense. Go enjoy your niche brand, boutique bike, it is a lovely machine. Honestly. They have no racing heritage, so you are not comparing apples to apples. Edited by Johny Bravo

Brand debate always personal, been riding (MTB) pretty competitively past ten years, owned/own Cannondale , Santa Cruz, Lynskey, Yeti, Scott etc....all bloody great bikes in own right. Purchased Sworks 2014 Epic, it's in another league.Period. During Attakwaas, Tankwa Trek I can honestly say felt big difference , climbed quicker, on descents remarkably quicker and more controlled ( yes set up plays big part, but most of my bikes have very similar set up, so can compare ).

Some news on the RS-1 and it having the Brain cartridge.

All the bike at the moment are running the normal stock RS-1 and the Team riders will only might get the Brain RS-1 towards the end of the year as the whole cartridge has to be redesigned now that the fork is upside down (the wrong way round) :ph34r:

S-Works Epic 29 with the new Rockshox RS-1 inverted fork with their Predictive Steering hub laced to Roval Control SL carbon, hookless rims.

It also gets their new XCP short travel dropper post that’s borrowed by the Diverge. It has 35mm of drop with a carbon body and internal cable routing only.

Predictive steering? Really? :wacko:

post-615-0-43064300-1405661129_thumb.jpg

post-615-0-32602400-1405661139_thumb.jpg

post-615-0-01636800-1405662932_thumb.jpg

Edited by splat