Attacked on Helshoogte

Gerlach

That's not enough, more needs to be done.

e.g. identify all the hotspots, get the cycling community together and find out if cameras or a security guard or security company will help or get a private investigator, etc, but get together and dicide what is the best solution going forward and then get the money to fund it.

Im sure if you get a few bike shops together to sponsor they would be able to wrap everything up within a month

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with getting bikeshops in on the deal - stellenbosch has quite a few including Specialized HQ if I'm not mistaken. Surely these guys know that this is damaging their business and should be stepping in.

Could be massive publicity for a shop also if they could have a hand in stopping or at least lessening this stuff's occurance, especially if some of the perps could be prosecuted, and some of the stolen bikes/equipment returned.

I'd love to stumble onto the cache of bikes and gear that's been stolen in and around stellies the last couple of years, or at least know whats happening to everything as loads of these bikes and parts are very specific and would be easily spotted - it never pops up again on Gumtree or at Cash crusaders - not even spotted being ridden by shady characters...

I agree with getting bikeshops in on the deal - stellenbosch has quite a few including Specialized HQ if I'm not mistaken. Surely these guys know that this is damaging their business and should be stepping in.

Could be massive publicity for a shop also if they could have a hand in stopping or at least lessening this stuff's occurance, especially if some of the perps could be prosecuted, and some of the stolen bikes/equipment returned.

I'd love to stumble onto the cache of bikes and gear that's been stolen in and around stellies the last couple of years, or at least know whats happening to everything as loads of these bikes and parts are very specific and would be easily spotted - it never pops up again on Gumtree or at Cash crusaders - not even spotted being ridden by shady characters...

To be honest, most times the shady characters look just like you and i, because they bought the stolen bikes or parts from someone at a bargain price. This is the problem.

Is it just me or are 50% of bicycle-related attacks / crimes happening in Stellenbosch nowadays? :(

There's definitely a lot happening in Stellies and its surrounding linking roads.

Stellenbosch CBD with 10 km radius is a hot spot, no doubt.

They already have dangerous weapons. It wont be long before someone is shot. It has happened on the R44 at Cloetesville a while ago. CZ100 HAS 13 BUDDIES. :eek: :w00t: . I would like to see their faces when they STARE DOWN THE BARREL. :devil: :cursing: .

I still see single cyclists riding to and from Stellies. We only go in packs of 4 or more, and yes we do arm ourselves. I`d rather explain in court than explain to a fellow cyclists wife and children that we couldnt help him. Sounds bad, but thats the reallity off live today.

Honestly ...Overkilling these Mo Fo's would be a pleasure. Extreme force.

This is terrible!! I'm usually the one telling all my Valie friends how safe it since I have moved to the WC, but now it seems as if we are sitting in the same situation that we have up in Gauteng. Do you arm yourself, then you might get killed with your own weapon, don't arm yourself... then you might get killed any way.

Group rides aren't always available so what are we to do? Maybe organize a mass ride and draw up petitions to relevant police stations to create some awareness and beg for some action to be taken? Will it make a difference?

Fact of the matter is... based on experience I had in Pretoria, this is only going to keep escalating... which is the sad bit.

Im sure if you get a few bike shops together to sponsor they would be able to wrap everything up within a month

I personally think restaurants/shops like Java, Mugg&Bean, Vida E etc. (also) need to get involved. We are regular customers of these places and at the end of the day, they will lose business.

This is terrible!! I'm usually the one telling all my Valie friends how safe it since I have moved to the WC, but now it seems as if we are sitting in the same situation that we have up in Gauteng. Do you arm yourself, then you might get killed with your own weapon, don't arm yourself... then you might get killed any way.

Group rides aren't always available so what are we to do? Maybe organize a mass ride and draw up petitions to relevant police stations to create some awareness and beg for some action to be taken? Will it make a difference?

Fact of the matter is... based on experience I had in Pretoria, this is only going to keep escalating... which is the sad bit.

What would be the best thing ever is laying traps and shooting the bike jacker suckers in the head :clap: ...option 1 for me..Be armed and take the chance. Its sad we all have to live in fear in S.A.. time has come for people to adjust to the actual FACTS about crime and how much there is around us. Edited by Undun

+1 ...that's a lekka fast descent...to hit the tar there @ 70-80kms ..could be fatal... :(

imagine hitting the attacker with a stick at 70-80 km/h ? gotta carry it with though ...

Wel, ons sal n plan moet maak en vinnig. Beslis kyk om die fiets winkels te nader wat in stellies is en die nodige mense, want een van ons kan die volgende een wees wat ons fiets verloor of ons eie lewe.

We can call it Cycle POLO. :oops:

The trick is seeing the @#$% before he gets into position to whack you... think we need to catch them... tie them up in the middle of the road and let a bunch of cyclist zoom past, each with a baton in hand :devil:

Guest Frail4Life

Darn it.

I enjoy that area.

Bit to far for mr to go rough it.

I could do with some exercise.