Road bike weight

'hamster

There'll always be a weight difference though, unless its the Lightweight brand compared to, say, Mavic or Zipp

So given the argument that weight is less important than aero, it would be better to go for the 50mm rims, even if they weigh a bit more?

Unless you planning on riding in cross winds.

Then you just have to up your skills I guess :whistling:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So given the argument that weight is less important than aero, it would be better to go for the 50mm rims, even if they weigh a bit more?

Yes go for the aero even if they weigh a little more. Within reason of course but up to 1800gr you'll be ok and go for 50mm.

IF you are averaging higher than the speed at which aerodynamic efficiency becomes more importanter than weight, yes.

It doesn't matter.

You buy fancy **** because it makes you feel more awesome. This hobby is so much about the emotions. Performance is directly tied in to that. Feeling more pro is part of the fun.

The aesthetic of cycling is what makes it so wonderful. Down the generations there's things cyclists just do, because it looks right and because it feels right.

I'm as likely to buy a pair of shoes because they match details on my frame as I am to buy them for their performance. Genuinely, my new shoes made me faster because I felt great wearing them.

So you get the new ultra-lightweight wheelset. People pick up your bike to do that approving thing. Your bike's more awesome. You push yourself harder to do your bike justice. You look at your bike some more. You swap out your stem for one that works just a tiny bit better. You feel good. You push harder. You train more.

You're getting marginal gains all the time, not just physical but psychological too.

Any sport is as much heart as it is head. Just accept that shiny things affect your heart too.

It doesn't matter.

You buy fancy **** because it makes you feel more awesome. This hobby is so much about the emotions. Performance is directly tied in to that. Feeling more pro is part of the fun.

The aesthetic of cycling is what makes it so wonderful. Down the generations there's things cyclists just do, because it looks right and because it feels right.

I'm as likely to buy a pair of shoes because they match details on my frame as I am to buy them for their performance. Genuinely, my new shoes made me faster because I felt great wearing them.

So you get the new ultra-lightweight wheelset. People pick up your bike to do that approving thing. Your bike's more awesome. You push yourself harder to do your bike justice. You look at your bike some more. You swap out your stem for one that works just a tiny bit better. You feel good. You push harder. You train more.

You're getting marginal gains all the time, not just physical but psychological too.

Any sport is as much heart as it is head. Just accept that shiny things affect your heart too.

What bike you ride again :)

It doesn't matter.

Love that. Well said. awsome dude. so true.

Depends on the course and conditions

I believe for a CT rider like you, 50 mm is perfect considering races don't climb over climbs longer than, say, 15 mins.

In the weigh vs aero there are way to many factors to consider and every case is different.

Bike weight

Rider weight

Gradient

Rolling resistance

Type of riding

Level of rider

Etc, etc, etc.

One interesting article I read a while ago stated rolling resistance (tyres and road surface) was more important than weight, and weight only became more beneficial over 9%

Edited by Spoke101

Dale, was actually nice meeing you the other day. I think it was you? I joined you and Lesley and another guy for a quick spin to just before Klein Joostenberg. I was on a red Specialized

It doesn't matter.

Exactly, placebo is worth up to 15%.

The most important bit about upgrading anything on your bike is to make you love it even more. And thus ride more often, faster.

Edited by JannievanZyl

Depends on the course and conditions

I believe for a CT rider like you, 50 mm is perfect considering races don't climb over climbs longer than, say, 15 mins.

Speak for yourself!!! :blink:

It doesn't matter.

Post of the week

Ok I opened the book (Faster by Michael Hutchinson, The Obsession, Science and Luck behind the worlds fastest cyclists). At speed over 25km/h half the resistance on a bike is aerodynamics and 30km/h and above it's almost everything. Another calculation revealed that over the 2012 Worldchampionship TT course (reasonably hilly 46km) that saving 1kg will gain 6 seconds but saving 5W would gain 16 seconds.