Road bike weight

'hamster

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

truth is it doesn't matter on a road bike, unless you are going to the alps to ride some tour de france passes...

I have a heavy road bike (>10kg) and manage 35km/hr average on races. Its the skinny wheels and the position that make a road bike fast, not so much the weight

Totally true unless you riding up the Alps daily

Still not true. To get the benefit of aero on a road bike you need to average a certain speed. Before that rolling resistance plays a bigger roll. Also need to factor in momentum, rotating mass and a couple of other factors.

Take a 29er wheel which we all know rolls better than a 26er and maintains speed better. The offset? Slow to accelerate.

It's been proven that if you go too slow on a 29er you don't have enough inertia to get into the benefit zone of the 29er and in fact it becomes HARDER to pedal and maintain speed as each pedal stroke takes more effort than it would with a 26er.

truth is it doesn't matter on a road bike, unless you are going to the alps to ride some tour de france passes...

I have a heavy road bike (>10kg) and manage 35km/hr average on races. Its the skinny wheels and the position that make a road bike fast, not so much the weight

I think you are not giving enough credit to your road crank....that to me defines a road or mtb.

eish 200Watts will get you about 26km/h on tar

EEK!!! EDIT: No WONDER I was fooked on the Argust. Average 298 watts on a FLAT surface to maintain 30kph. And that's on 1.75" tires!!!

post-3056-0-92383600-1406206070_thumb.jpg

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Summary for the lazy readers: "Col de la Tipping Point" How steep does a climb have to be before the weight savings trump the aero gains? As we saw before, the answer depends on the rider weight and speed, as a faster rider would encounter higher aerodynamic forces while the gravitational forces stay the same. For an average, 250 Watt rider, the tipping point is around a 5% slope, for a good pro who puts out 400 Watt, it’s at 8%. What is 8%? Alp D'Huez is 8%.

Still not true. To get the benefit of aero on a road bike you need to average a certain speed. Before that rolling resistance plays a bigger roll. Also need to factor in momentum, rotating mass and a couple of other factors.

Take a 29er wheel which we all know rolls better than a 26er and maintains speed better. The offset? Slow to accelerate.

It's been proven that if you go too slow on a 29er you don't have enough inertia to get into the benefit zone of the 29er and in fact it becomes HARDER to pedal and maintain speed as each pedal stroke takes more effort than it would with a 26er.

Prove this to yourself: Run up a flight of stairs. Then run up a flight of stairs carrying a wheel. Finally, run up a flight of stairs carrying a spinning wheel. You get the idea: The weight of the wheel, spinning or not, has very little effect compared to what it takes to accelerate your body.

The other and more important reason the effects of rotation matter little is because we don't accelerate much. If you are doing kilos on a velodrome, then worry about it. Maybe. But in the typical 40K bike leg, we accelerate exactly once, with an additional partial acceleration at the turnaround. You can't even measure the effects.

Still not true. To get the benefit of aero on a road bike you need to average a certain speed. Before that rolling resistance plays a bigger roll. Also need to factor in momentum, rotating mass and a couple of other factors.Take a 29er wheel which we all know rolls better than a 26er and maintains speed better. The offset? Slow to accelerate.It's been proven that if you go too slow on a 29er you don't have enough inertia to get into the benefit zone of the 29er and in fact it becomes HARDER to pedal and maintain speed as each pedal stroke takes more effort than it would with a 26er.

For some reason I knew that a 29'er will not work for me!!! :whistling: :whistling:

Edited by Wannabe

Oh koot nooooo, as in never....ever. That simply wont fly

Well that sucks..

Are you allowed to talk to a random stranger during a race?