Trail running shoes

Heel Drop

Cape Union Mart have a lot of specials on Solomons at the moment!

I'm not a runner, but when I do a bit of trail running I run in Solomons!!!

To me they are best!!! Comfortable and light

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cape Union Mart have a lot of specials on Solomons at the moment!

I'm not a runner, but when I do a bit of trail running I run in Solomons!!!

To me they are best!!! Comfortable and light

Their shoe sale is awesome. Just never ever ask any of the floor-assistants for advice.

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Their shoe sale is awesome. Just never ever ask any of the floor-assistants for advice.

True, unless you are purchasing from a proper running shop, do your own research.

VERY natural to find your calves talking a beating. With heel striking, your calves become underutilised and weaken significantly.

With forefoot striking, (Note: not toe striking. There is a difference between running and sprinting. The latter you do on your toes) the Achilles is the tendon that does transmit the force and the calve is the muscle that act as the main shock absorber.

So your Achilles need to have good flexability and your calves need to strengthen. I pulled my calve on both legs at different times because of wanting to go too far too soon. This will take plenty time, like months and in this transition you have to be patient. If not, you will be injured.

Send me a PM with your email. Will share some info with you.

I'd also be interested in some of that info

• 4 months later...

I bought some Salomon Speedcross Vario's and I can see what the hype around Salomon is, very impressive shoe. The problem I'm having is the fit at the back of the heel pocket, it curves around the heel but my heel is more straight up so the curve isn't hugging my heel rather it's pushing my foot forward and into the front of the shoe unless I lace the shoes uncomfortably tight.

The shoe length is fine, a good thumb width in front of my big toe, they are a bit narrow in the toe area but not excessively.

I bought some Salomon Speedcross Vario's and I can see what the hype around Salomon is, very impressive shoe. The problem I'm having is the fit at the back of the heel pocket, it curves around the heel but my heel is more straight up so the curve isn't hugging my heel rather it's pushing my foot forward and into the front of the shoe unless I lace the shoes uncomfortably tight.

The shoe length is fine, a good thumb width in front of my big toe, they are a bit narrow in the toe area but not excessively.

Vario? Good!! The other Speedcross's grip are meant for like 20% of the trails here in WC - over marketed by Cape Union Mart and such.

I also find Salomon's to be quite narrow - I have to go up half a size above my usual (compared to most ASICS for example). The bigger chain-shops only stock full sizes which is either too big or too small and I need the fit to be perfect.

Anyways, happy trails and have a visit at www.trailhub.co.za !

edit: words

Edited by Koei

Yoh caught by the speedcross hype bus! 

Sad in SA as their other shoes are soooooo much better! 

I've been running in X-Screams which have been awesome! Similar sole to sense pro, hoping my mate can organise me some sense mantra's when he is in Vietnam!! 

Watch the ginger runner reviews on Youtube! The guy does brilliant reviews as well as amazing general running videos! 

Link: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSxqXJj9btSS3nrmBg8GXdQ 

Any beginners here? If started trail running but jeeeeeeezzzz thats something different from MTBing....tired legs, chin pain heart peaking more quickly!!!

But still I'm enjoying it!!!

Any beginners here? If started trail running but jeeeeeeezzzz thats something different from MTBing....tired legs, chin pain heart peaking more quickly!!!

But still I'm enjoying it!!!

It's your body warning you against a newfound addiction.

Yoh caught by the speedcross hype bus!

Sad in SA as their other shoes are soooooo much better!

I've been running in X-Screams which have been awesome! Similar sole to sense pro, hoping my mate can organise me some sense mantra's when he is in Vietnam!!

Watch the ginger runner reviews on Youtube! The guy does brilliant reviews as well as amazing general running videos!

Link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSxqXJj9btSS3nrmBg8GXdQ

But that being said whats not to like about the the Vario, it looks like the most well designed/engineered shoe I've ever owned?

Also Salomon aren't cheap, not going over R2k on a brand I've never worn!

Edited by Skylark

But that being said whats not to like about the the Vario, it looks like the most well designed/engineered shoe I've ever owned?

Also Salomon aren't cheap, not going over R2k on a brand I've never worn!

There isn't anything wrong with them at all, that's not what I meant to say sorry if that's what it sounded like. 

Problem in SA is when stores start seeing a certain shoe sell then it becomes all they stock  :thumbdown:  ie: "speedcross hype" see how many people you see this weekend rocking speedcross at the shops and you will see what i mean. 

The other side of the coin is the shoes that "don't" sell go on sale for awesome prices, like the x-screams I picked up for R499 ha ha ha

I've been looking at getting myself trail running shoes, as I've twisted my right ankle relatively regularly with my normal running shoes in the last few months, and I figured they should provide better support.

I only do a little bit of road running, some light gravel, about 5km usually.

But the salesman at one shop mentioned that some of the trail running shoes have softer soles that would wear down quite quickly for how I intended to use them.

Is this true?

The salesman at one shop mentioned that the New Balance 610 was a good "all-terrain" type.

At a different shop I was shown the Solomon Wings XT 3 (which have some pronation control feature).

Are those good options? Others I should look at? Or should I not be looking at trail running shoes?

x-screams I picked up for R499 ha ha ha

Where did you picked them up?

I am very much interested in them. :thumbup:

Where did you picked them up?

I am very much interested in them. :thumbup:

Cape union mart during their shoe sale. Most of the items weren't really on sale. These were! 

I also purchased some running shoes at cape Union marts sale. Got some adidas Kanadia tr7 for R800... For how i run they perfect. Wanted some speedcross,but R2k for my part time running. Couldn't do it.

Very happy with the kanadia.

Edited by Pikey