Dogma F8

Mental Mamba

I read a "annual track day shoot out" in a motoring publication a while ago. They had a collection of the latest and greatest fast cars, from Cooper S JCW to, Mazeratti, McLarens and a Lambo. They put some bona fide racing drivers in them, recording lap times, top speed, etc. To their credit, they also puplished the un-edited impressions of the racing drivers as well. One of the drivers described one of the extremely expensive and desirable cars as "a shopping trolley for stupid people".

I would not call the F8 that, but a lot of "value" behind Pinarellos of late is in their image and marketing, bragging rights, that kind of thing. In my book, the ultimate bike is a custom one which have been sized to my exact anatomy, and ride qualities tuned to my preference. (I weigh 69kgs, and thus need a lot less stiffness in the bb than an 80kg sprinter, for example), with a custom factory paint job that nobody else has. If I spend more than R100k on a bike, that is the way I would go. No amount of marketing will convince me to spend that much on something mass produced in the East, regardless of brand.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aah Christie, your posts are generally high quality, but you have consistently slated Pinarello. What's the problem?

They are over hyped and heavy compared to rivals.

If you have that kind of cash, why not have a bike custom designed and hand built (stiffness tuned to your requirements) and painted to taste? Parlee Z0, ESX, or something from Sarto, for example.

Since the frame in question probably weigh the same as 2x top of the range from most manufacturers, light weight is not an objective for the build in question. That means a frame in titanium can easily fit the bill, too. I like Eriksen or Baum.

Lastly, since frame weigt is not an issue, custom steel can also work. Google Pegoretti.

Re the Dogma, it is too much money for a mass production Chinese bike, with or without a serial nr imo.

Have to agree with going for a full custom frame for that price.

Here's a huber that builds frames in the UK.

Do a search for Saffron cycles.

Only problem with a full custom steel or Ti frame is the 2 -3 year waiting period.

Apparently arriving about now (end July) as complete bikes only. Frames to follow later. Price R170k.

Does it have heated grips and an electric start?

Does it have heated grips and an electric start?

Will tell you after I see it in the flesh. I won't lie....would love to get my grubby paws on a F8 :eek:

I like the look of the F8, much more than any of the predecessors. It is the first really good looking Dogma. In terms of weight, the previous Dogmas were waaay below par - they are heavier than aluminium frames, when the cutting edge of bicycle structural engineering is at frame weights of 700 to 800 grams. (it would be interesting to compare the weight of those Dogma frames without serial numbers, to see if there is a difference)

Regarding weight of the F8, it is respectable for an aero frame, and a definite improvement.

I do find the price amusing, though - it is similar to or more than a hand built custom, which I consider a better buy.

Comparing the F8 to the new Colnago aero bike, for example: for me it is much of a muchness. The aero Colnago is built by Giant in Taiwan, the F8 is built in China. Both not worth more than other bikes from the same factories in engineering terms.

The Colnago C60, however is made and painted in Italy. That is still worth something, and could justify extra $ on the sticker.

My personal stable peaked at 5 bikes. I have since sold all my road bikes, but I have rolled on Colnagos, Cannondales, Scott, Cervelo, Merkcx, with top of the range everything. I never saw a difference in my performance from the one to the next in races, and I really took it to the n-th degree, with coaching, power meters (I have had 3 at one time) etc. In the end, I solidly agree with LA (hate to admit) - it is so not about the bike.

The best post I've seen on here for a long time...

Aah Christie, your posts are generally high quality, but you have consistently slated Pinarello. What's the problem?

He drives a sensible car and will never consider buying a Ferrari. Some (All) engineers are wired like that. :D

Will tell you after I see it in the flesh. I won't lie....would love to get my grubby paws on a F8 :eek:

For R170k?

Im starting to think you need to lay off the fat and eat more carbs :whistling:

Ballies of today... eish

For R170k?

Im starting to think you need to lay off the fat and eat more carbs :whistling:

Ballies of today... eish

Didn't say I have R170k lying around but these days prices seem to start at R100k for any of the big brands. Laaities of today :ph34r:

Shocker

He drives a sensible car and will never consider buying a Ferrari. Some (All) engineers are wired like that. :D

Not if the Ferrari was made in China, and still cost millions. Yet, we are discussing the equivalent of that with bicycles.

(I would buy a Ferrari, but it will be a classic 275 or so. 458 is perfect, but will depreciate in value. With Ferraris you can sell for more than you buy, if you know your stuff)

Edited by Christie

Awesome Pinarello!! Congratulations!

How did you get your bike and how did you get Pinarello to sign it?