Let's imagine the Ibis Mojo HDR and Momsen Vipa had a love child...

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So...who has a 5010 or Bronson I can borrow for a ride or two? Come on, help a brother out...

If you were in PMB I could organize. :whistling:

So...who has a 5010 or Bronson I can borrow for a ride or two? Come on, help a brother out...

I'll chat to Perkin. He has a few lying around.

I'll chat to Perkin. He has a few lying around.

Ha ha, don't publish his address......this is gangstaland!

So I have not been riding much over the last 2 years, been surfing, and BORED with tablemountain...recently started getting back into it and looking at all kinds of reasons for upgrading.

Those of you who know me, I like the technical and fast stuff, hitting jumps and playing around, although I also do marathon races and distance stuff. All on the same bike ofcourse, so the bike I ride might not reveal my real love.

My old Zula was getting boring although nothing wrong with it at all. light, bullet proof, etc but my XTR 2 x 9 and 26er settup was just obviously not good enough anymore.. you know how it goes.

So I started reading up.. I always had something for the Rocky Mountains.. I read up about them a bit and apparently they made excellent trail bikes and one can make them go fast. although the 95mm rear tracel suggested its a distance machine. However the 20mm front and 12 x 142 rear, short wheelbase and chainstays with relaxed head angle was getting some rave reviews for singletrack and apparently 26er like performance.

Long story short I saw 2 x Element 930s In classifieds and that same night without saying good bye I stripped my Zula for parts and the next day it was uploaded.

Im now the proud owner of a heavy and low specced but very capable 29er.

Ive ridden her about 3 times. the first ride was getting acustomd to low level parts and heft !

Second ride.. SOLD! This thing goes through ruts, roots, rocks and almost anything like a bulldozer. On my ist proper ride I got a KOM for a very rutty and rooty downhill section that ive ridden 100s of times.

Again. You might not understand that I like my stem slammed and my seat at shoulder hight, but I make it work :)

Would love to Enduro on this thing.

Once I got lome lighter wheels and dropped weight to about 12kg. Id think this is the best of both worlds..and no more "26er for singletrack"..

post-1279-0-06032600-1407406843_thumb.jpg

The Bos is ALIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Just.. just..

I am just a bit slower

Actually....scrap that.. a bit slower on the up ;)

Must do a group ride at some nice trails ive never been to. I havent been to Tokai in 2 years, and i dont really miss it. But, there are now like 8 farms with trails all over and the only one ive ridden is contermanskloof.

Well obviously, when you want a love child between the two bikes in the topic, you would want the child to be very much like the dad, and we all know the Ibis is the dad.

If the child ends up being like the mother, you might run the risk of losing your man card.

So to play it safe, you should get this Norco:

post-4006-1407470631,35.jpg

post-4006-1407470659,7619.jpg

post-4006-1407470684,1076.jpg

post-4006-1407470704,6642.jpg

So I have not been riding much over the last 2 years, been surfing, and BORED with tablemountain...recently started getting back into it and looking at all kinds of reasons for upgrading.

Those of you who know me, I like the technical and fast stuff, hitting jumps and playing around, although I also do marathon races and distance stuff. All on the same bike ofcourse, so the bike I ride might not reveal my real love.

My old Zula was getting boring although nothing wrong with it at all. light, bullet proof, etc but my XTR 2 x 9 and 26er settup was just obviously not good enough anymore.. you know how it goes.

So I started reading up.. I always had something for the Rocky Mountains.. I read up about them a bit and apparently they made excellent trail bikes and one can make them go fast. although the 95mm rear tracel suggested its a distance machine. However the 20mm front and 12 x 142 rear, short wheelbase and chainstays with relaxed head angle was getting some rave reviews for singletrack and apparently 26er like performance.

Long story short I saw 2 x Element 930s In classifieds and that same night without saying good bye I stripped my Zula for parts and the next day it was uploaded.

Im now the proud owner of a heavy and low specced but very capable 29er.

Ive ridden her about 3 times. the first ride was getting acustomd to low level parts and heft !

Second ride.. SOLD! This thing goes through ruts, roots, rocks and almost anything like a bulldozer. On my ist proper ride I got a KOM for a very rutty and rooty downhill section that ive ridden 100s of times.

Again. You might not understand that I like my stem slammed and my seat at shoulder hight, but I make it work :)

Would love to Enduro on this thing.

Once I got lome lighter wheels and dropped weight to about 12kg. Id think this is the best of both worlds..and no more "26er for singletrack"..

DUDE, what length is that seatpost!!!!

Well obviously, when you want a love child between the two bikes in the topic, you would want the child to be very much like the dad, and we all know the Ibis is the dad.

If the child ends up being like the mother, you might run the risk of losing your man card.

So to play it safe, you should get this Norco:

post-4006-1407470631,35.jpg

post-4006-1407470659,7619.jpg

post-4006-1407470684,1076.jpg

post-4006-1407470704,6642.jpg

I want!

:drool:

I think this will feel comfortable next to my XTC and Tallboy

Im sure my wallet wont feel comfortable though.

So, I'm sad to say that it looks ike (for now) I've owned my last Ibis. Need / want a bike with a longer reach and Ibis' geo numbers aren't likely to change in that regard.

Good news is most of the bikes that have been launched so far this year are nice and long. And slack. And low. Trying to avoid going stupid slack as this will to be a one bike for all and 80% of my riding requires something that can pedal and steer in the tight stuff.

Would still like to try a 5010 and/or Bronson. Fear riding a Nomad only to discover it's as good as everybody says it is!

Other bikes that have caught my eye

Giant Reign

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload/showcases/2015/reign_advanced_showcase1.JPG

Giant Trance (not quite stock in this pic)

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/2/photos/74799/s1600_Reign_27_5_1.jpg?1397774378

Yeti SB-5C

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/80/ac/74/80ac7451d600a65c9bacd16ded28e52c.jpg

Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

http://dirtragmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/rocky-mountain-thunderbolt-msl-8.jpg

More specifically the BC Edition

http://dirtragmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/rocky-mountain-thunderbolt-msl-7.jpg

Have had a good couple of very enjoyable rides on a Merida One Forty. This the bike that confirmed the reach debate for me. I think Merida will do well with this bike locally.

http://flowmountainbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Merida-One-Forty-B-Masthead.jpg

Other bikes on the contemplating list, but will be harder to get my hands on: Cube Stereo, DEVINCI Troy, Norco Sight, Canyon Strive, BH Lynx...

Lots of "stock" bikes making it hard to justify a boutique brand and custom build. <_<

Edited by Iwan Kemp