Quick Pedal Question

Cycle Fan

Just changed my pedals from Crank Bros to Shimanos and I've noticed there is a lot of lateral (side to side) play now once clipped in.

Local Bike Shop reckons it's because my shoes (not a few years old) have worn down so there's now no contact with pedals (ie only the cleats are in contact with the pedals and not the shoe).

Does this sound logical? Never noticed anything with the Crank Bros..

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Pedal float is higher on the shimanos than crank brothers. That might be what you are feeling as well. Might just need to get used to it.

and I just changed from Shimano to Crank bros (egg beaters).........couldnt get my damn left foot outquick enough and had an embarrasing bail on Friday. Will just have to get used to them.

To your post - I did not experience that with my Shimano's and not sure if adjustment will stop that, but worth a try.

its possible but sounds a bit odd to me, have you adjusted the cleat tension?

unlike the Crap brothers pedals the shimano SPD pedals have an adjustable screw that allows you the user to set how tight you want the cleat to be, this doesnt necessarily change the lateral play but if they are extremely loose this may have an effect on the lateral play.

This guy says is better than me: "Float for these pedals is 6 degrees. Float is measured in degrees and is the amount of side to side rotational movement over the ball of your foot before the clip starts to release. This can be an important factor if your pedal stroke is non-planar which applies to most riders. Many knee and joint problems due to pedaling are caused from incorrectly set or adjusted cleats or not enough pedal float to account for lateral movement in a riders foot during pedal rotation. As cleats wear float will increase and it is important to maintain tension on the pedals to reduce unwanted pedal release."

its possible but sounds a bit odd to me, have you adjusted the cleat tension?

unlike the Crap brothers pedals the shimano SPD pedals have an adjustable screw that allows you the user to set how tight you want the cleat to be, this doesnt necessarily change the lateral play but if they are extremely loose this may have an effect on the lateral play.

This was my first thought as the tension was at its loosest. I adjusted the tension to make a bit firmer but the play is still there

Sorry, maybe I should clarify a bit. It's not the float thats the issue is the 'up and down' movement if that makes sense.

So without moving my feet in a clockwise/anti-clockwise direction (ie still), my shoes rock in the pedals.

Hope that makes sense... :wacko:

A small spacer / shim between the cleats and the shoe should do away with the gap / movement you are feeling. Something like this: (silver part)

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/imagecache/220x220-scale-crop/product_images/spd20cleats.jpg

http://www.velogear.com.au/media/catalog/product/1/1/1184.jpg

Edited by Jacquers

A small spacer / shim between the cleats and the shoe should do away with the gap / movement you are feeling. Something like this: (silver part)

Thanks for the tip but surely this would 'elevate' the cleat even more and cause the movement to increase?

Thanks for the tip but surely this would 'elevate' the cleat even more and cause the movement to increase?

If the problem is wear on the sole of the shoe, then this should sort it out. The contact surfaces of the pedal will press on the spacer instead of the shoe - play gone.

Yes, pedals are new

If you are using old cleats with new pedals, that could account for the play. Try a new set of cleats.

If the problem is wear on the sole of the shoe, then this should sort it out. The contact surfaces of the pedal will press on the spacer instead of the shoe - play gone.

The Crap Brothers had this problem. The Eggbeaters would "eat" the sole of the shoe. Problem solved with a shoe shield.

If you are using old cleats with new pedals, that could account for the play. Try a new set of cleats.

This