The Beer Debate

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im feeling slightly confused possibly due to a large amount of Craft beer, Ive just drunk...but I feel the need to discuss the debate relating to wheel and beer size. Is it true the bigger the beer / the bigger the wheel.... the better the performance....

post-58648-0-78371700-1409251956_thumb.jpg

Im feeling slightly confused possibly due to a large amount of Craft beer, Ive just drunk...but I feel the need to discuss the debate relating to wheel and beer size. Is it true the bigger the beer / the bigger the wheel.... the better the performance....

No wheels needed. The more beer, tje better beer, the better, the beer, beer.

Beer and beer. Also beer

Well there can be no debating as to why I have a headache this morning and did not go riding. Too many jack blacks :mellow: . Theres always tomorrow I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Health benefits of beer

1. Increased intake of protein, B vitamins and antioxidants

From a nutritional standpoint, beer contains more protein and B vitamins than wine.

According to a 2001 antioxidant food review in Nutrition Reviews beer contains around double the amount of antioxidants as white wine but half of that of red wine. The specific antioxidants in beer are different because the barley and hops used in the production of beer contain flavonoids different from those in the grapes used in the production of wine.

2. Healthier bowel function

Beer is a good source of soluble fibre, which is derived from the cell walls of malted barley. One litre of beer can contain up to 6 grams of soluble fibre, which is a third of the recommended daily intake.

Soluble fibre aids in healthy bowel function, and also helps mop up excess cholesterol and sugar in the digestive system. A 230ml can of beer will contain about 5.7g of total carbohydrates. Of those, just 2.5g will be residual sugar and the rest dietary fibre. In comparison, a standard (175 ml) glass of wine contains 5.9g of carbohydrate but 5.6g of that will be free sugars and wine has no dietary fibre.

3. Reduced Risk of Heart Disease

The topic of heart disease and alcohol is controversial because it can be both a protective and a causal factor, explains Caradas. It really depends on the mechanism of action and what the individual is going to benefit from most- either moderation or abstinence. It has long been known that moderate alcohol consumption reduces the risk of heart disease, when compared to heavy drinkers and even teetotalers.

The main mechanisms by which beer lowers heart disease risk is by increasing our levels of HDL, or good cholesterol and by preventing clotting (by lowering clotting factors like fibrinogen) and therefore thinning the blood. However, people with high triglycerides or hypertension are still encouraged to exercise caution when drinking alcohol, which exacerbates these two risk factors for coronary artery disease, explains Caradas.

4. Stronger Bones

Beer is high in the mineral silicon, which can act as a powerful bone strengthener. In fact, beer is the only natural source of silica for post –menopausal women. According to a 2009 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, moderate beer drinkers had a higher bone mineral density when compared to people who drank more or fewer beers. Pale Ale tends to have the highest silica content of all the beer types. “Don’t use beer as your anti-osteoporosis plan. High intakes of calcium, lots of vegetables and weight bearing exercise are key to a healthy bone density,” advises Caradas.

5. Reduced Cancer Risk

Heterocyclic amines (HCAs) are carcinogenic compounds produced when meat is cooked at high temperatures. Marinating meat or chicken in beer or wine has been shown to reduce the formation of carcinogenic HCA’s by up to 88% with beer to be the more effective HCA reducing marinade according to a 2009 study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. At the same time, high alcohol intake has been linked to certain cancers, like those of the mouth and digestive system as well as breast cancers.

6. Reduced Risk of Diabetes

“Contrary to what you might think, alcohol actually lowers blood sugar rather than raising it,” says Caradas. A large 2011 Harvard study of about 38,000 middle-aged men found that when those who drank moderately (around 2 drinks per day), dropped their diabetes risk by 25%. Beer, however, has a high glycemic index of 100, which means it can cause spikes and then drops in blood sugar levels. In moderation, however, the effect is not severe because beer has a moderate glycemic load of 6, due to its relatively low carbohydrate content.

7. Improved Cognition

“In high amounts alcohol can cause brain damage, but in moderation it can actually sharpen the mind and even prevent dementia,” says Caradas.

Results from the Nurses Health Study published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2005, which looked at the health of 11,000 older women showed that moderate drinkers (those who consumed about one drink a day) lowered their risk of mental decline by as much as 20 percent, compared to non-drinkers. In addition, older women who drank moderately were found to benefit the most from moderate drinking.

http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/News/Surprising-health-benefits-of-beer-20140910

http://www.fastmoving.co.za/img/activitylinks/7282_castle-lite-adds-a-dash-of-lime-flava-to-the-extra-cold-experience/castle_lite_adds_a_dash_of_lime_flava_to_the_extra_cold_experience_link.jpg