The Beer Debate

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I think this thread needs a bit of a revival.

Anybody drinking anything new or interesting lately?

This is still my go to beer:

post-73436-0-11536600-1437724744_thumb.jpg

At The Radium beer hall they have a beer named Pick axe on tap. Easilly the best beer I have ever tasted.

At The Radium beer hall they have a beer named Pick axe on tap. Easilly the best beer I have ever tasted.

Thanks for the heads up, haven't heard of it.

Do you know who brews it?

I'll have to go give it a try.

I have to come clean: I love Triggerfish.

We had Triggerfish's 2015 Crazy Diamond for my mom's 70th. Remains a favourite, but at R250 per 750ml bottle it is strictly for special occasions.  Hopefully I can get round to the brewery over the week-end as they made a few different stouts. The Black Marlin (Imperial Russian stout) is simply amazing.

The most interesting beer I ever had was one from Eric's private stash: an intentionally sour beer aged in oak.

I think this thread needs a bit of a revival.

Anybody drinking anything new or interesting lately?

This is still my go to beer:

Had the privilege to visit the new Aroma Coffee and Craft beer restaurant last weekend.  (My go to shop for coffee beans for the past 2? 5? years now.

They opened a new branch out on the East of Pretoria.

They have the King's Blockhouse on tap.  I was thoroughly impressed.

Saw they had bike stands so I guess this will become the after ride "coffee" stop.  :thumbup: 

Checked out the Honingklip brewery the other day. Unpretentious little joint, good food and decent beer selection.

They make Belgium style ales amongst other things, and like to experiment too.

Picked up a few of the stouts (fantastic) and the Dubbel (Belgian Brown Ale) to bring home.

Still loving the Stellenbrau Lager (although it must be said, its perfect out of a bottle, not so much on tap) and the CBC Pilsner. 

There are getting to be so many craft breweries now.. This is what happened to me back in Aus, just got inundated with new beers every week and you eventually just give up trying new beers and stick with a few favourites.

I have to come clean: I love Triggerfish.

We had Triggerfish's 2015 Crazy Diamond for my mom's 70th. Remains a favourite, but at R250 per 750ml bottle it is strictly for special occasions.  Hopefully I can get round to the brewery over the week-end as they made a few different stouts. The Black Marlin (Imperial Russian stout) is simply amazing.

The most interesting beer I ever had was one from Eric's private stash: an intentionally sour beer aged in oak.

Eric makes some great beers.

Still haven't tried the crazy diamond, will have to get a bottle next time i'm down in CT.

My favourite beer of his is the Titan. 

Also, The Kraken is an phenomenal! Not for beginners though. 

Had the privilege to visit the new Aroma Coffee and Craft beer restaurant last weekend.  (My go to shop for coffee beans for the past 2? 5? years now.

They opened a new branch out on the East of Pretoria.

They have the King's Blockhouse on tap.  I was thoroughly impressed.

Saw they had bike stands so I guess this will become the after ride "coffee" stop.  :thumbup: 

Nice, will need to check it out. 

To me you'd have to go really far to beat a fresh Blockhouse on tap!

Checked out the Honingklip brewery the other day. Unpretentious little joint, good food and decent beer selection.

They make Belgium style ales amongst other things, and like to experiment too.

Picked up a few of the stouts (fantastic) and the Dubbel (Belgian Brown Ale) to bring home.

Still loving the Stellenbrau Lager (although it must be said, its perfect out of a bottle, not so much on tap) and the CBC Pilsner. 

There are getting to be so many craft breweries now.. This is what happened to me back in Aus, just got inundated with new beers every week and you eventually just give up trying new beers and stick with a few favourites.

I do enjoy the odd Honingklip beer. Pity we don't get any up in JHB.

I'm quite fond of their Dubbel & Tripel.

We've just started receiving Stellenbrau here now. The Craven craft lager is good, Not too mad about the Weiss though.

Thanks for the heads up, haven't heard of it.

Do you know who brews it?

I'll have to go give it a try.

I'm going to lie if I tell you but ot really blows other craft beer out of the water. It does not have that soury taste to it, it's crisp and a little bitter. Flippen good. Man I wish I could go there now.