Goodbye Eagle Canyon Cycles

Flashfozzy

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After my first few not cool experiences with them at the old store I was kinda forced to use them at the new shop during the "closed" season due to then being just down the road.

I must say that I'm starting to change my mind a bit. The dad and the daughter have been super helpful and got me sorted. Especially the pops. Even didn't charge me for an emergency spoke issue I had in what seemed like a super busy day. However both times I had to deal with the son he was kort af gave me the impression I was wasting his time, at one time even pushing Shimano parts down my throat when I specifically insisted on SRAM, because apparently "it's the same thing". No buddy it's not, it's not what I asked for. Toppie quickly jumped in and sorted it out.

So in conclusion I will use them for small tasks and as trust builds maybe more.... That's the least I can do considering the dads lekker attitude.

Almost a mirror image of my experience. Handy to have them just down the road for bits and pieces.

Pops is lekker, the son is very cocky and thinks he's a bit too smart. Asked him about a price on a quick minor service/tune up before the holidays....he sarcastically says I could probably do it myself given what they do on minor services  :eek: . Anyway, ignored the "lighty" after that and dealt with Pops. Needless to say, only for minor purchases!!

Will take by bike servicing elsewhere if its so arbitrary.....

• 2 months later...

Almost a mirror image of my experience. Handy to have them just down the road for bits and pieces.

Pops is lekker, the son is very cocky and thinks he's a bit too smart. Asked him about a price on a quick minor service/tune up before the holidays....he sarcastically says I could probably do it myself given what they do on minor services  :eek: . Anyway, ignored the "lighty" after that and dealt with Pops. Needless to say, only for minor purchases!!

Will take by bike servicing elsewhere if its so arbitrary.....

Just called there, son answered, I asked if they have 2 slots open for a small service. The guy actually laughed at me and simply said; "No I dont".

As cool as the pops can be, his son has now pissed me off enough.

This will be the last time I call them for anything.

I have also tried to continue supporting this shop and have reached the point of no return. In recent weeks I have twice popped in only to be 'helped' by two individuals who have NO knowledge of anything cycling related. Also had to endure some bad attitude from the son - sad to see something that should have worked get squandered through missing out on the basics. :thumbdown: 

Just called there, son answered, I asked if they have 2 slots open for a small service. The guy actually laughed at me and simply said; "No I dont".

Hi there Patchelicious.

I am so sorry to hear about what has happened. We are not ones to turn away a customer, but as far as having a small service done on the same day is just highly impossible. We do not work on a book-in system and we have a ton of bikes that have been brought in, especially now that the Easter Weekend is coming up.

You may have misunderstood Chaunce (The Son) when he giggled and said no, he giggled at the fact that a same day service was just not possible.

We try our best to make EVERYONE happy, but unfortunately that is not possible. We are able to assist 98% of the people walking through our doors and they walk out with a smile.

Once again we apologize for the bad experience you've received.

Regards

Eagle Canyon Cycles Team

Hi ALL

I am so sorry to hear about what has happened. We are not ones to turn away a customer, but as far as having a small service done on the same day is just highly impossible. We do not work on a book-in system and we have a ton of bikes that have been brought in, especially now that the Easter Weekend is coming up.

You may have misunderstood Chaunce (The Son) when he giggled and said no, he giggled at the fact that a same day service was just not possible.

We try our best to make EVERYONE happy, but unfortunately that is not possible. We are able to assist 98% of the people walking through our doors and they walk out with a smile.

Regards

Eagle Canyon Cycles Team

I have to say that my visits to eagle canyon cycles have been superb. I have only found them to be pleasant and accommodating. On one occasion I really needed bailing out and Chaunce was extremely helpful in trying to do so. On another occasion he went out of is way to make a plan which unfortunately didn't work but was most certainly not his fault.

I find them more friendly and accommodating that anyone else and as such I will be back... often.

Chris

KTM

Hi ALL

Regards

Eagle Canyon Cycles Team

Than you for replying to MY post. Read the thread, there is a trend of people "perceiving" Chaunce to have a bad attitude, its not a once off mentioned above.

If you want me to list the various ones I have had, I will gladly PM you if you will use it constructively.

I am not going to get into an public argument with you, as its a family run business and there are sensitivities around that, but I will gladly engage you privately to offer my advice if you want it.

Than you for replying to MY post. Read the thread, there is a trend of people "perceiving" Chaunce to have a bad attitude, its not a once off mentioned above.

If you want me to list the various ones I have had, I will gladly PM you if you will use it constructively.

I am not going to get into an public argument with you, as its a family run business and there are sensitivities around that, but I will gladly engage you privately to offer my advice if you want it.

Please PM me

well handled, very mature and sensible approach to the matter

• 1 year later...

This is a gripe – so if you would like to check my spelling, ensure I have used the correct tense or generally feel the need to rip this post to pieces, please feel free, but I still need to have my gripe.

I am going to keep it as short as possible and just limit this to the pertinent facts. I had perfectly working XT brakes and wanted (needed) new Goodridge hoses to be fitted to them (that is another long story, so we will ignore my reasoning). On someone’s advise I phoned Eagle Canyon and chatted to a very pleasant young lady who assured me this would be no problem – even when I explained that I had googled Goodridge fitment and I believed this wasn’t the easiest of jobs. She then quoted me a seriously low price – and I asked her to double check and did she actually know what this entailed – she assured me she did and I should bring the bike in – all good so far.

I drop the bike off with Goodridge hoses and all the bits and bobs and get told that next day collection was on. I noticed many missed calls the next day, but was chasing my tail frantically and never returned any calls. When I get there I am told that the Goodridge hoses don’t fit XT (strange as I googled this and double checked that I had been supplied exactly what I asked for), and that nothing could be done to make them fit. Not great, but all good so far.

I then get offered another set of brake hoses which they had in stock. My immediate question was “Are these as good as my originals, and will my brakes work as well”. I was assured of this and arranged to pick up the bike the next day. The new hose would be added to my account – no problem with that either. As luck would have it work ran away with me again and I eventually asked my son to pop in and pick up my bike on Saturday as there was no chance I was going to make it.

What came back was the biggest disaster out. Neither brake worked – at all. They would slow you down on a flat, but I wouldn’t even risk riding down my driveway. The hose was kinked (picture below), and the front hose rubbed against my wheel.

On Sunday I take it back and explained (without shouting – that is my reputation in tatters), that this is so far from acceptable that we won’t even discuss it. I asked if they still had my original Shimano hoses, and if so please to put them back and to get my bike back to what I had handed across. I didn’t want it back until they had done it properly, so no rush. Okay, we agreed that I could pick it up at the end of day on Monday.

Monday afternoon I go and test my bike with much trepidation. Firstly, the front brakes are so poor I can’t do an endo for love nor money – I can’t get my brakes to do more than slow me down. I could get my back brakes to grip – but the amount of energy required would ensure that I would need to halve my normal ride time. The hoses were not my original Shimano hoses, but some very poor substitute (this I learnt as I left there and took my bike directly to the LBS I should have used from the get go!!) And to rub salt into the wound, they had thrown the majority of my Goodridge brake hose away (and lost half the pieces), so although the latest LBS would be happy to fit it, there is only sufficient for my back brake!! So I have now landed up paying for 3 sets of brake hoses (Goodridge, cheapy’s and new Shimano), 2 different mechanics to work on my bike – and all this to get back to what I had. (Eish, stupid is expensive!!)

Just to clarify, all my interaction was with the son. Probably a very nice young man, but an unmitigated disaster as a bike mechanic. They are probably very good for the basic stuff (the kind of stuff I look after myself at home), but I certainly won’t ever contemplate going back there again. 

post-30409-0-21419300-1472631210_thumb.jpg

This is a gripe – so if you would like to check my spelling, ensure I have used the correct tense or generally feel the need to rip this post to pieces, please feel free, but I still need to have my gripe.

I am going to keep it as short as possible and just limit this to the pertinent facts. I had perfectly working XT brakes and wanted (needed) new Goodridge hoses to be fitted to them (that is another long story, so we will ignore my reasoning). On someone’s advise I phoned Eagle Canyon and chatted to a very pleasant young lady who assured me this would be no problem – even when I explained that I had googled Goodridge fitment and I believed this wasn’t the easiest of jobs. She then quoted me a seriously low price – and I asked her to double check and did she actually know what this entailed – she assured me she did and I should bring the bike in – all good so far.

I drop the bike off with Goodridge hoses and all the bits and bobs and get told that next day collection was on. I noticed many missed calls the next day, but was chasing my tail frantically and never returned any calls. When I get there I am told that the Goodridge hoses don’t fit XT (strange as I googled this and double checked that I had been supplied exactly what I asked for), and that nothing could be done to make them fit. Not great, but all good so far.

I then get offered another set of brake hoses which they had in stock. My immediate question was “Are these as good as my originals, and will my brakes work as well”. I was assured of this and arranged to pick up the bike the next day. The new hose would be added to my account – no problem with that either. As luck would have it work ran away with me again and I eventually asked my son to pop in and pick up my bike on Saturday as there was no chance I was going to make it.

What came back was the biggest disaster out. Neither brake worked – at all. They would slow you down on a flat, but I wouldn’t even risk riding down my driveway. The hose was kinked (picture below), and the front hose rubbed against my wheel.

On Sunday I take it back and explained (without shouting – that is my reputation in tatters), that this is so far from acceptable that we won’t even discuss it. I asked if they still had my original Shimano hoses, and if so please to put them back and to get my bike back to what I had handed across. I didn’t want it back until they had done it properly, so no rush. Okay, we agreed that I could pick it up at the end of day on Monday.

Monday afternoon I go and test my bike with much trepidation. Firstly, the front brakes are so poor I can’t do an endo for love nor money – I can’t get my brakes to do more than slow me down. I could get my back brakes to grip – but the amount of energy required would ensure that I would need to halve my normal ride time. The hoses were not my original Shimano hoses, but some very poor substitute (this I learnt as I left there and took my bike directly to the LBS I should have used from the get go!!) And to rub salt into the wound, they had thrown the majority of my Goodridge brake hose away (and lost half the pieces), so although the latest LBS would be happy to fit it, there is only sufficient for my back brake!! So I have now landed up paying for 3 sets of brake hoses (Goodridge, cheapy’s and new Shimano), 2 different mechanics to work on my bike – and all this to get back to what I had. (Eish, stupid is expensive!!)

Just to clarify, all my interaction was with the son. Probably a very nice young man, but an unmitigated disaster as a bike mechanic. They are probably very good for the basic stuff (the kind of stuff I look after myself at home), but I certainly won’t ever contemplate going back there again. 

Shoddy work, cant believe they even tried to give you the bike back with that kink!

I have been in there only twice. The second time was certainly the last time I will go. I just don't like the shop.

Luckily I work in Edenvale so I now make use of Ridgeway Cycles which is the subject of another thread which is only complimentary!

Have a Koeksister/Koesister/Koeksuster :clap: