Arch or Flow Rims?

MphatiPyga

I have a slight problem in that I ordered a set of Arch EX wheels built up by my LBS as I was giving my Crests a bit of a beating, not due to weight as I am 84kg so within that realm, but due to riding style and local terrain. My local tracks are rather rocky and technical in nature with lots of jumps and gaps etc. I received my wheels back yesterday and only then did I notice i had a nice set of FLARCH's, front Flow and back Arch, I must admit it was a very rushed pick up. It was an honest, yet silly mistake on behalf of the LBS so no name and shame. But now the question is, should I not just go Flow and have bomb proof wheels for a small weight penalty?

I have a slight problem in that I ordered a set of Arch EX wheels built up by my LBS as I was giving my Crests a bit of a beating, not due to weight as I am 84kg so within that realm, but due to riding style and local terrain. My local tracks are rather rocky and technical in nature with lots of jumps and gaps etc. I received my wheels back yesterday and only then did I notice i had a nice set of FLARCH's, front Flow and back Arch, I must admit it was a very rushed pick up. It was an honest, yet silly mistake on behalf of the LBS so no name and shame. But now the question is, should I not just go Flow and have bomb proof wheels for a small weight penalty?

What did they give you? Flow or Flow EX? Arch or Arch EX?

Am I correct in saying that the Arch are 19 and the Flows 23 mm wide ?

Both are EX, so there is a190g increase in weight, but with that weight comes attitude I suppose, and yes they are wider

Am I correct in saying that the Arch are 19 and the Flows 23 mm wide ?

Both are EX, so there is a190g increase in weight, but with that weight comes attitude I suppose, and yes they are wider

ISO widths (internal)

Arch = 19mm

Flow = 22.6mm

Arch EX = 21mm

Flow EX = 25.5mm

±90g difference between Arch EX and Flow EX

Haven't used the Flows, but my Arch EX's feel plenty strong enough and I'm still 95 Kg, and they are decently light. So good enough for me. Unless you're hucking like its hot :P

90g difference? Really?! Can't believe you're actually getting your gonads in a twist over this.

It's simple. Get the stronger stuff. It'll last longer, save you money and the whopping extra 180g will make you 180% faster.

Maybe not to relevant but I have never really bothered to look at the actual rim width until recently when I started to use 2.25 tires . They do not work very well on 19 rims that is why I am going with something that is wider and logic say that the rims will also be stronger .

Taken the plunge and getting the Arch changed to Flow, then I will just let my gonads grow into them. Should make my Trance even more bomb proof!! Must say the Flow combined with the 140 Revalation makes more sense :w00t:

meneer if you can change back to arch I will really advise you do so....they are much stronger than crests and dont carry the weight penalty of flows. Unless you are downhill racer arch's should be more than adequete for marathon / am / enduro rides.

Hi Rouxtie, thanks for the advice. My local terrain is very rocky and technical so wheel damage is also a problem, I was wrecking my Crests. i was lead to believe that Arch was basically a Crest for heavies, although I did choose those initially. i am leaning more to the Flow now due to the wider profile which will apparently lead to greater trail stability. I am not a downhiller by a long measure but tend to ride hard on the trails with 90% of my riding being trail based. Any other reasons you have for going Arch would be welcomed

Hi Rouxtie, thanks for the advice. My local terrain is very rocky and technical so wheel damage is also a problem, I was wrecking my Crests. i was lead to believe that Arch was basically a Crest for heavies, although I did choose those initially. i am leaning more to the Flow now due to the wider profile which will apparently lead to greater trail stability. I am not a downhiller by a long measure but tend to ride hard on the trails with 90% of my riding being trail based. Any other reasons you have for going Arch would be welcomed

look flow's are magic meneer, they are super strong...as in DH strong but they penalize you heavily ito weight. Now although it doesnt sound like much, its the absolute worse place to carry weight(rim and tyres). Running slightly lighter rims will make your bike feel very responsive ito accelerating and climbing. The arch rims are much stronger than crests, but they don't penalize that much as with flow's. If most of your riding is tech rocky AM terrain, I think the arch's will suite your need better...I am not saying flows are kuk, just that arch's will suite your riding better. Build them with strong spokes and you will battle to dent / destroy them.

Sheesh, decisions. Good advice from all over for both sets. Thanks, will have to live with whichever I go for, plus I have a deadline if I want to ride this weekend.