Shock set up and tyre pressure for Crater Cruise Race

Trackmonster

So, with a race known for extreme corrugations, fast dirt roads and some technical rocky climbing, whats the best shock setting. Particularly for the corrugations. Should the pressure be dropped a little to handle the corrugations but then its too soft for the roads and climbs? The rebound may be better set at fast instead of slow or visa versa. Then add tyre pressure to the equation. Softer for the corrugations and rocky climbs will help but on the fast road sections, softer is not best. Whats your set up for this race?

Tyres will handle corrugations better than suspension, but there's not much that will absorb them completely. Like you say, there will be a trade off - I'd say run your fork and tyres a bit softer to help with your arms and leave the shock as normal. You'll have to speed up rebound on the fork a bit to compensate for the lower pressure.

I will be going as soft as i can without losing control .My weght is 100 kg .Front tyre 1.7 Rear 1.8 and shocks 10 psi lower than normal .On a Fox fork it is 100 psi and rear shock 210 psi

My advice, to make it even easier (seeing it's a roadie MTB event) go full rigid.

Not sure your bike still classifies as full rigid with the tyre you've got on there...

Not sure your bike still classifies as full rigid with the tyre you've got on there...

My Niner still has a 2.4 on the front :thumbup:

Okay, I last did it in 2009, but this worked for me...

post-1604-0-41845000-1410252557_thumb.jpg

And as I recall it almost ended what cycling career you may have aspired to :whistling: