Campy spares rip off

mr min

I broke the small change lever on the right STI of my Campy Record 10 speed yesterday upshifting for a hill.

No biggie I thought,So off to Cycle Lab Four ways this morning only to be told.We have to replace the whole STI. SIR.

This afternoon I go off to Finnish Line cycles for a second opinion, they call the agents J&J cycling yip they have to replace the whole thing too about R 1900 for this little plastic lever.

Both shops were very helpful and sympathetic to my problem. Well I guess its goodbye Campy after 10 years.

Please find another fool.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have mentioned a few brands in your post and ascribed the rip-off to the one that I suspect is the only innocent one.

Please Google both Cycle Lab and J&J along with exorbitant price gouging.

You will be able to rebuild your shifter. The internet is your friend.

Edited by eddy

I broke the small change lever on the right STI of my Campy Record 10 speed yesterday upshifting for a hill.

No biggie I thought,So off to Cycle Lab Four ways this morning only to be told.We have to replace the whole STI. SIR.

This afternoon I go off to Finnish Line cycles for a second opinion, they call the agents J&J cycling yip they have to replace the whole thing too about R 1900 for this little plastic lever.

Both shops were very helpful and sympathetic to my problem. Well I guess its goodbye Campy after 10 years.

Please find another fool.

It's not Campy, it's the agents. You can get Campy parts for almost any component ever made in the last 30 years. Google is your friend. 

Here you go: http://branfordbike.com/product-list/campagnolo-b96/road-shifter-part-t691-qc53/

Try that with Shimano.

Edited by openmind

As said above, Campy can be rebuilt. 

This might help...

Very cool, first time I see the inside of it! :thumbup:

I've rebuilt, repaired and upgraded a few Campy Ergo levers. I cannot beleive it can't be fixed. Which part exactly are you looking for ? post a pic. I'll see if i have one or can get one and help you repair it.

Problem is most of the LBS cannot / do not know how to strip and rebuild Campy. You will have to get the parts manual and the part numbers of the parts you want and just order them. thats how i do it. the last parts i ordered were through Finish Line. When i collected them i was met with a smirk on the salesmans face and a "good luck buddy" comment. 2 hour complete strip and rebuild with new parts and they were Schweet.

Campag albeit expensive is one of the most serviceable groupsets around, bike shops, distributors need margin they'll sell you entire replacement units not replacement parts. 

Its hard to support these guys here, they think with their bank accounts and let the brands they supply down in the process.

Take a look on eBay as well for the spare parts.

Do these Lbs assume they only sell stuff to the ignorant? Campy parts are renowned for being repairable and the Lbs are agents yet still they try the throwaway style of bike servicing. What really grates me is the poor guy that doesn't know better will go right ahead and cough up the bucks for a complete new unit and probably toss the old one in the bin.

Hi Madmarc

Its just the plastic shift lever on the right hand side.Hoping you have one to sell me

that can work.post-11061-0-28341100-1410935320_thumb.jpgpost-11061-0-49070500-1410935338_thumb.jpg

Edited by mr min

I also broke mine some time back and Solomons sent it to J & J and I paid R900.00.

A bit expensive IMO but it was done.

The shops see Campy and they see  rip off this customer.