Gran Fondo MTB Routes JHB

Dorpie

Howdie Hubbers

Is there anyone who has done a complete 130km Gran Fondo MTB ride in the Johannesburg area?

We have a couple guys that are really keen to get this badge on their belt and are looking for a solid 130km ride with minimal tar under the tyres.

If any of you have done this successfully, could you please post you rides from either Strava or GPS files.

Thanks 

D

There was a guy a Spruit Whatsapp group that did a Gran Fondo at Northern Farms about a month ago, I know he tracked the route on Strava. Will see if I can find it for you.

I might be mistaken, but I've heard a 'legend' of an off-road route from around Eikenhof, that can take you all the way to Vereeniging. Would be nice if someone could share that one.

@Dorpie

Ruimsig -> Cradle -> Hekpoort -> Vulture Sanctuary - > Van Gaalens... and then back.

That can give you a 140 km ride with 50 km tar riding. I can't think of a better route unless you do laps at Northen Farm or Cradle.

@Catatonic

(If you ride in a southward direction)

There is a massive stretch of dirt road along the R59 between Alberton and Meyerton. It turns into single track at the Sedibeng Breweries and continues into Kookrus. Turning right will allow you to ride back on dirt roads through Walkerville and Eikenhof, which goes straight back to Thaba Trails. That is about a 80 km loop. 

Not sure where you're starting but from home of the chicken pie there is ST all the way to Nikita in Broederstroom. From there cross the road, up and over the hill, cross tar again and go past the Ale house to end up at Redstone. Follow road past Pecanwood and go up to Sky Lodge to end up at bottom of concrete strips. Add some miles as required and ride back. Ask rouxtjie or jcmeyer for more details of the mordor route. I've only done it once.

There was a guy a Spruit Whatsapp group that did a Gran Fondo at Northern Farms about a month ago, I know he tracked the route on Strava. Will see if I can find it for you.

I might be mistaken, but I've heard a 'legend' of an off-road route from around Eikenhof, that can take you all the way to Vereeniging. Would be nice if someone could share that one.

Hi, Joe. That was me :)

I was going for the SiS Summer 100 at NF and decided I may as well make it my first Fondo as well.

http://www.strava.com/activities/181590215

I think the way I ended up doing it was 2 reds, 3 blues and 2 green routes. It was a long day and conditions were very good with overcast until it started raining later in the day. The heat we're experiencing now I think will be the greatest challenge.

Edited by FlandersZA

There is a route from Broadacres-ride through to muldersdrift/cradle route-back to and around lanseria-enter northern farms do a 45kms loop...back to broadacres. Most of it is sand road, jeep and single track... I've been looking at doing the 130kms as well, I will try and pull the gpx file for you...

You can ride from Van Gaalens to breedtsnek, up and over, and back and include some Van Gaalens tracks to end it off.

@Catatonic

(If you ride in a southward direction)

There is a massive stretch of dirt road along the R59 between Alberton and Meyerton. It turns into single track at the Sedibeng Breweries and continues into Kookrus. Turning right will allow you to ride back on dirt roads through Walkerville and Eikenhof, which goes straight back to Thaba Trails. That is about a 80 km loop. 

Thanks for sharing JanJan, I would really like to do a ride from JHB to Deneysville one day, we travel that way almost every weekend as we have farm there. Not too keen on riding the R59, so this would be ideal as I could ride alongside the R59 and then still go to Deneysville via Meyerton.

Hi, Joe. That was me :)

I was going for the SiS Summer 100 at NF and decided I may as well make it my first Fondo as well.

http://www.strava.com/activities/181590215

I think the way I ended up doing it was 2 reds, 3 blues and 2 green routes. It was a long day and conditions were very good with overcast until it started raining later in the day. The heat we're experiencing now I think will be the greatest challenge.

Cool man, was hoping you would find this thread. Well done on this ride btw!

There's is a Super Fast and Flat (Total 500m ascent) 131km Loop from the Engen at the 4way stop (Chameleon Village) in Harties. All Sand Roads (No ST) but good to rack up some Base miles.

Only done it once so prob couldn't find all the roads again, but see attached.

post-30019-0-83673500-1410936729_thumb.png

• 8 months later...

There's is a Super Fast and Flat (Total 500m ascent) 131km Loop from the Engen at the 4way stop (Chameleon Village) in Harties. All Sand Roads (No ST) but good to rack up some Base miles.

Only done it once so prob couldn't find all the roads again, but see attached.

Would you have the GPX for this? I'd like to stick it in Google Earth and give it a try.

Hi

The GPX file for the 130km ride along the Brits irrigation canals is attached. Starts and ends at the Engen/Wimpy at Hartebeespoort. I recommend that you load this on a GPS and use that for navigation. There is a convenient Coke stop at the halfway point at "Greens" on the R511. When you leave Greens you need to cross the R511 and then ride next to the railway line (do not cross it). Track is a little vague to start with but soon improves.

Enjoy.

Hi

The GPX file for the 130km ride along the Brits irrigation canals is attached. Starts and ends at the Engen/Wimpy at Hartebeespoort. I recommend that you load this on a GPS and use that for navigation. There is a convenient Coke stop at the halfway point at "Greens" on the R511. When you leave Greens you need to cross the R511 and then ride next to the railway line (do not cross it). Track is a little vague to start with but soon improves.

Enjoy.

Apologies. It seems that .gpx files are not allowed to be uploaded. Here is a link to the gpx file in Drop Box:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65232156/EastCanal.gpx

Right click and then save the file.

Edited by Madala