Die Burger 2014

GLuvsMtb

Other than that, I for one believe you can go full pace up Helz, there is a long downhill and long flat stretch to Wellington in which you can recover before you get to the rollers of the R44 - others differ on this but that's my opinion  ^_^

I agree.  I put the hammer down out of the gates last year and passed literally hundreds of riders (I started near the back) going up, and there's such a long recovery period after that, so you should be fine.  But it all depends on your fitness level.

Also, we parked a few km's from the start so I guess you could call that a warm up?

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bertus is starting in 2M  :thumbup: Look out for a rocky mountain 29er come whizzing by haha.

We need to keep ahead of him incase something happens. He can then sort it out. :whistling:  :whistling:

+1 on warming up before the Helz climb - didn't do it before the One Tonner and I was promptly dropped within the first kilometer of the climb

Other than that, I for one believe you can go full pace up Helz, there is a long downhill and long flat stretch to Wellington in which you can recover before you get to the rollers of the R44 - others differ on this but that's my opinion  ^_^

Indeed but anyone starting in the front seeded groups typically has got years of hard riding in their legs and will recover in the next downhill piece. Someone doing their first race overwhelmingly does not have this trained response and can't use a similar strategy and enjoy the experience.

Come race day all this planning goes mostly out of the window when the first few guys race off and everyone chases the rabbits until they blow and then settle down from there anyway...

Min ous have the discipline to ride to their strategy but those that do mostly ride a faster time and finish stronger!

Im super excited. This will be my first Burger, hope I dont over do it going up Helshoogte.

Any advice for this noob would be appreciated  ^_^

Gonna be my first Burger as well. Very excited!

My solution to climb Helshoogte is...

...I'm doing it on a mountain bike  :whistling:

Did the Argus this year on a mtb as well  :eek:

Enjoy, its a jol.

Good luck to all doing the Cycle tour on Sunday, hope you achieve your goals. Don`t hold back, and Helshoogte is only a rumour. :clap:  :w00t:  :whistling:  :eek:

Good luck to all doing the Cycle tour on Sunday, hope you achieve your goals. Don`t hold back, and Helshoogte is only a rumour. :clap:  :w00t:  :whistling:  :eek:

Also to you Smurfy...but about that rumour....Hahahaha... :eek:

I am unable to collect my race number in Stellenbosch tomorrow. Is there anybody who is going to collect theirs who could collect mine too and I could meet up with on Sunday morning? Heartfelt SOS!!!

Haha me too! I rode the Argus on a 26" Schwinn Moab. :clap:

Using a road bike for Die Burger.  :thumbup:

I am unable to collect my race number in Stellenbosch tomorrow. Is there anybody who is going to collect theirs who could collect mine too and I could meet up with on Sunday morning? Heartfelt SOS!!!

Pm me your details I will pick it up for you. You can get it from me on Sunday. I'm starting 6.11

Guest DieBees

Pm me your details I will pick it up for you. You can get it from me on Sunday. I'm starting 6.11

Last year you collected me and my wife's numbers too! Thanks for being so helpful Berry!

Load shedding here in Stellies I reckon

Traffic rof

Is why we stopped for our coffee fix at the Bottelary Caltex and returned via Bottelary rd.

Do you guys know if we can collect our entries on Sunday before race start?  Don't really want to drive out to Stellies today...

Guest DieBees

Anyone else got the new racetec chips??

Will it work so high up on your bike?

Archived