Garmin 920XT

Spinnekop

WOW.

Looks like a pretty decent piece of equipment.

I see a price floating around of £390 without the HR Running strap.

So basically more expensive than the Edge 1000 but has way more functionality in it.

http://garmin.blogs.com/ukpr/2014/10/garmin-unveils-the-ultimate-training-partner-the-forerunner-920xt.html#.VCvxu2dxl_A

Price:  https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports/running/forerunner-920xt/prod137024.html

DC Rainmaker's review:  http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/fr920xt-triathlon-details.html:

New things according to DCR:

– Addition of Bluetooth Smart, WiFi connectivity
– Addition of Daily Activity Tracking (steps, Sleep, etc…)
– Ability to create Internet connected apps, widgets, data fields (Connect IQ)
– Addition of Live Tracking (requires you carry a phone)
– A Color Screen (that actually really shows colors)
– Creation of Activity Profiles (allows you to create your own)
– Running Dynamics (Vertical Oscillation, Ground Contact Time, Cadence)
– Recovery Advisor, Recovery Time, Race Predictor
– Cycling VO2Max
– PR’s (Personal Records)
– Regular Watch Mode
– UltraTrac (for up to 40 hours of GPS activity…with ANT+ sensor data)
– Addition of GLONASS (for increased GPS accuracy)
– Garmin VIRB action camera control
– Indoor Treadmill support (without a footpod pace/distance)
– Metronome Functionality
– Swimming Drill mode (as found on Garmin Swim, Fenix2)
– Swimming Interval Rest Timer
– Racing against past performances, downloaded performances

Had a quick look through it.

Seems like Garmin - tweeked the engine and revamped the body.

It is no longer a just a tool but had become a daily accessory!

Love what gamin has done - especially the Metronome function.

Now if I can just get my 910XT to speak Wattbike!

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know when this will be available in SA? It says Available 4th quarter in 2014????

Or where best to buy online?

Anybody know when this will be available in SA? It says Available 4th quarter in 2014????

Or where best to buy online?

Garmin SA said that it should be here at end of November - no idea on price.  Have pre-ordered mine from CleverTraining.  Should land & clear for around R6.6k (with HRM-Run belt)

– Ability to create Internet connected apps, widgets, data fields (Connect IQ)

Fantastic news for us techgeeks!!

This is going to completely change the way YOU want to customise your device!

Sounds like Garmin will be rolling out this platform on all new devices ... hope they make it available for some older devices like the 510 & 810 later on.

Cant wait!

This and the Fenix 2 are very similar. What to do, what to do? I am going to get one of the two but its a hard choice to make

I bought the fenix 2 when released, so I'll be going with that for the foreseeable future. I use it as my daily watch (Velcro strap) and love it. Not crazy about the 920 color schemes, but all told it looks like a good unit.

EDIT: I purchased a rubberized screen protector for it from Zagg and it's the bomb. also having bumped it against some stuff on occasion, it's still scratch free on the body and the screen.

Edited by Jigghead

I bought the fenix 2 when released, so I'll be going with that for the foreseeable future. I use it as my daily watch (Velcro strap) and love it. Not crazy about the 920 color schemes, but all told it looks like a good unit.

EDIT: I purchased a rubberized screen protector for it from Zagg and it's the bomb. also having bumped it against some stuff on occasion, it's still scratch free on the body and the screen.

Any link for the zagg protector? Can't find it on their site and really the only thing stopping me from wearing my F2 all day is the scratch issue.

I've had the Fenix2 for a few months and love it! Then again I'm not an out and out triathlete so the more adventuresy features suit me.

Any link for the zagg protector? Can't find it on their site and really the only thing stopping me from wearing my F2 all day is the scratch issue.

I'll look it up, there is not a Fênix 2 specific part but rather a generic 25mm (I think) circular protector.

The Fênix 2 screen is 27mm (again I think) and so I got it hoping it would work and I can hardly notice it. I was also concerned with the slightly domed screen but I've had zero issues.

Edited by Jigghead

Garmin SA said that it should be here at end of November - no idea on price.  Have pre-ordered mine from CleverTraining.  Should land & clear for around R6.6k (with HRM-Run belt)

Did you receive your watch yet ? Was wondering with the postal strike etc. 

Garmin SA dont say when it will be launched here. 

What price did you manage to get it for in the end ?

• 2 months later...