SANS Parks Tokai MTB price increase

Freex

Guest Omega Man

Dude, come back here and sort them out pleaaaase...

I don't even know what to say.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont agree or disagree with the permit or day entry structure. However I think that parks need to make a concession for locals, or rather south africans with a south african I.D

After all we are not tourist. They can overcharge tourists for all I care, but create a fair access for all. A lower fee structure for south africans, possibly a 1/4 of the price

I've been a supporter of sanparks and their pricing for yonks. Tokai for me is a frikken gem in the city and for the price of a tube single day entry or a very affordable annual fee it's a bargain.

I've had enough of their *** now. It's now very quickly become R60(the jump to R45 was not that long ago).

I totally understand their model of cross subsidising the parks - Tankwa Karoo NP for instance needs money to operate and conserve but can't generate it internally(and would be a terrible experience if they did somehow move hundreds of visitors through there). BUT it seems all the cash from mtbers just goes to pretoria.

TMNP do rip off the tourists/one time visitors. To get into Good Hope is R105 single day fee. Alternatively do a bit of admin and get yourself a greencard which gives locals 12 entries for the same price per year

• You’ll need the R105 for the card; a South African ID document; 2 ID photographs and proof of residence (not older than three months).

You can actually defend that as a fair policy. Their method of supply/demand at tokai mtb just stinks of cooking the golden goose imho.

I don't know why this latest increase is the one that hacks me off, but I've gone from being a solid supporter to totally against them and their ***. Remember TMNP has only been around since 1998, before then the city was in charge. MTBers were there before SANparks.

simple it seems, they don't want us there, but will tolerate us ....at a price!

^^^^^

lllll

What he said... the message is clear. Thanks Sanparks, we'll be riding elsewhere in future.

I've been a supporter of sanparks and their pricing for yonks. Tokai for me is a frikken gem in the city and for the price of a tube single day entry or a very affordable annual fee it's a bargain.

I've had enough of their *** now. It's now very quickly become R60(the jump to R45 was not that long ago).

I totally understand their model of cross subsidising the parks - Tankwa Karoo NP for instance needs money to operate and conserve but can't generate it internally(and would be a terrible experience if they did somehow move hundreds of visitors through there). BUT it seems all the cash from mtbers just goes to pretoria.

TMNP do rip off the tourists/one time visitors. To get into Good Hope is R105 single day fee. Alternatively do a bit of admin and get yourself a greencard which gives locals 12 entries for the same price per year

• You’ll need the R105 for the card; a South African ID document; 2 ID photographs and proof of residence (not older than three months).

You can actually defend that as a fair policy. Their method of supply/demand at tokai mtb just stinks of cooking the golden goose imho.

I don't know why this latest increase is the one that hacks me off, but I've gone from being a solid supporter to totally against them and their ***. Remember TMNP has only been around since 1998, before then the city was in charge. MTBers were there before SANparks.

:clap:

gonna hit Rhodes mem this afternoon, all legal like. I don't like the card system for Table mountain but I like riding my bike more.

Boycotting Seattle and their R24 tall cappuccino's will hopefully offset the cost :)

;) You are not meant to slow down for them when you drive a Landrover, they are meant as little jumps. It's fun, but it will cost you a set of lower control and swing arm bushes every 10 000 km. See, that's what the longer travel is for, to be used, but just like on the mtb, you'll pay in maintenance!

You never need to slow down in a Landy. Slowing down implies that you were doing some kind of speed in the first place!!!!

This is part of an email I received from the TMNP hospitality manager re various things including the alleged price hike...waiting for clarification on the "commercial event fee".

Pricing. The R60 you refer to is the new commercial event fee which is effective 1 November. This is not the day cycling fee in Tokai and or Silvermine. Funds are being expended on cycling tracks and maintenance across the park. See Lower Tokai where currently we are in process of erecting a new and rather expensive stretch of boardwalk over a water course to allow riders easier access. Sadly the park is large at 25 000 hectares and money spent is not always obvious as most people don’t access the full area of the park.

This is part of an email I received from the TMNP hospitality manager re various things including the alleged price hike...waiting for clarification on the "commercial event fee".

Pricing. The R60 you refer to is the new commercial event fee which is effective 1 November. This is not the day cycling fee in Tokai and or Silvermine. Funds are being expended on cycling tracks and maintenance across the park. See Lower Tokai where currently we are in process of erecting a new and rather expensive stretch of boardwalk over a water course to allow riders easier access. Sadly the park is large at 25 000 hectares and money spent is not always obvious as most people don’t access the full area of the park.

So, what is "the new commercial event fee"? 

Who is it directed at?

What for?

Guest Omega Man

Funds are being expended on cycling tracks and maintenance across the park. See Lower Tokai where currently we are in process of erecting a new and rather expensive stretch of boardwalk over a water course to allow riders easier access. Sadly the park is large at 25 000 hectares and money spent is not always obvious as most people don’t access the full area of the park.

Um. Yeah. That's not Sanparks money. It's PPA money. A somewhat conveniently overlooked detail there. I also find it somewhat laughable that the mountain bikers don't get ANY input in terms of how the money is expended.

• The material that was carted in by 2 pool contractors recently are personal friends of Vince and I and was organized by Vince, Deon and I.
  • The laterite carted in that Bennet used was paid for by the PPA.
  • Bennet was paid by Jason Lind from Olympic Cycles.
  • The signage was paid for by a private donor. The signs were painted and installed primarily by deon.
  • The vehicle that Deon uses for building was paid for by a private donor.

wait, so if i go as a day visitor with my mtb on nov 2nd what do I pay at the gate

R45 or R60?

if it's the former, then I shot my mouth off a bit soon - but their site only has tariff structures to oct 31st - needs an update anyway.

Um. Yeah. That's not Sanparks money. It's PPA money. A somewhat conveniently overlooked detail there.

• The material that was carted in by 2 pool contractors recently are personal friends of Vince and I and was organized by Vince, Deon and I.
  • The laterite carted in that Bennet used was paid for by the PPA.
  • Bennet was paid by Jason Lind from Olympic Cycles.
  • The signage was paid for by a private donor.
  • The vehicle that Deon uses for building was paid for by a private donor.

Duane, you're talking about the upper tokai trails. They're referring to the loops down below where the horsies, dooggy people, cyclists and runners go. 

The PPA & the pool contractors do the laterite & better stuff for "our" trails. The Parks money is going to the lower reaches, which the PPA initially put in place, IIRC. 

wait, so if i go as a day visitor with my mtb on nov 2nd what do I pay at the gate

R45 or R60?

if it's the former, then I shot my mouth off a bit soon - but their site only has tariff structures to oct 31st - needs an update anyway.

R 45, according to the mail. I would assume the R 60 would be the fee that Parks charges any events co-ordinator to use their property. Per person. So 30,000 people, for example, would cost an organiser R 1.8m. 

So, what is "the new commercial event fee"? 

Who is it directed at?

What for?

I am waiting for an answer from the TMNP person as I type this...

Archived