The Munga Postponed - World’s toughest race faces a tough challenge

News bot

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Q:

Of the entries received, how many were women?

And, if that number was zero or low, was a mistake made in halving the target market before the event even started by not offering separate male and female prize pools?

Around 1000 riders started LEL in 2013, I think 8% of those were women. But of the 200 that dropped out, none of them were women. So although women endurance athletes may be fewer than men, they are arguably tougher.

Edit: oops 'halving' is clearly wrong, reducing the target market would be truer

I get what you're saying, but i don't think that you really get that much 'bang for your buck' by including women as a category. would you say that they get equal prizemoney or a reduced amount? the level of entries would probably not justify it.

Case in point - the cape pioneer trek currently on.

They made the prizemoney equal for the Swartberg showdown. a massive R125k just to the winner of a single stage, same as the men.

did it really attract women? let's look at the figures:

Men 64 teams (14 elite/pro)

Women 5 teams (all elite/pro)

And in terms of competition, the ladies is rather booooring. The top team have won all the stages so far. you'll probably have prizemoney going to the top3 teams...there's the incentive of uci points up for grabs too. 

so in short, throwing money at it doesn't really attract women.

I still think there is a BIG opportunity for running the event for the common man at a lower fee, without prize money - this will also give the organisers "practice" at running the event and prove to the rest of the world that a high ticket race is possible.

There's a race here (and I'm sure plenty similar elsewhere) in Pennsylvania from one city to another over a few hundred miles. (on bike routes but still plenty of traffic). The next year the journey reverses. No fee, no advertising, no fans, no podium, no sponsors. You just call one dude with the blog site when you start. Call him to check in if you got some news. And call him if you finish or pull out.     I think Tour Divide is somewhat the same way, or at least it used to be.  

But I like the idea, even if it's just a few of you locals, of going for it just as a multi-day excursion to test it all out. There should be no issue with knowing the route ahead of time because after the first year everyone would know it anyway, so you'd have changing each year. I assume there's not a lot of options though, and if you did change it, you'd have no 'records' to be broken. 

On thing that's cool about Tour Divide is you can show up anytime and do it; even race for the record. you don't have to do it when everyone else does. 

There's a race here (and I'm sure plenty similar elsewhere) in Pennsylvania from one city to another over a few hundred miles. (on bike routes but still plenty of traffic). The next year the journey reverses. No fee, no advertising, no fans, no podium, no sponsors. You just call one dude with the blog site when you start. Call him to check in if you got some news. And call him if you finish or pull out.     I think Tour Divide is somewhat the same way, or at least it used to be.  

But I like the idea, even if it's just a few of you locals, of going for it just as a multi-day excursion to test it all out. There should be no issue with knowing the route ahead of time because after the first year everyone would know it anyway, so you'd have changing each year. I assume there's not a lot of options though, and if you did change it, you'd have no 'records' to be broken. 

On thing that's cool about Tour Divide is you can show up anytime and do it; even race for the record. you don't have to do it when everyone else does.

I think the big issue with a ride like this is that it will cross private land - and getting permission is better left to organisers.... I am not a big fan of buckshot up the ass... :)

sounds like that annual klunker race

The interview was good.

It was not an interrogation, it was more about what the Munga was and where it's heading.

Till now must of us have seen it as a race.

There will be a press release tomorrow.

I hope Alex forgives me if I say anything that was not as exactly discussed, but I will try and put it in to q quick and concise summary.

First off, the Munga has not been cancelled, it has merely been postponed (date will be in the press tomorrow)

I asked Alex what Munga was to him, he made it very clear that it is more than a race, to Alex it is a brand, he wants the Munga to become a world renowned brand and his aim is for the brand to live for many years to come.

The intention is not to have this as a once-off event.

Alex is hoping and his aim is to get some corporates on board, he said that it already looks quite promising in that regard and we just need to watch this space.

He also mentioned that even though he has hit a small bump in the road, he could have let the event go ahead after the withdrawal from the benefactor, but did not want to commit and do a half baked job.

The number of entrants, he said they looked at the average numbers for all the stage races and took 60 % of that and that is how they determined the number of 450 teams, so as to keep it limited.

Alex also mentioned that the prize money was never going to be a problem and I got the impression that it had been secured.

I asked about those who would like to do the event for "bragging rights" at a lower entry amount, his comment was that he is well aware of the riders out there who would like to do something like this, and going in to the future he will definitely be open towards those options .

The target market, this was aimed at the international market, Alex felt that from experience in his business that he runs and the expeditions and trips he takes people on, he found that the international market were happy to pay good money to experience something that could impact their lives.

He also said that by doing this The Munga will attract more international riders to our shores and by doing so, we can show the world what a mountain bikers mecca we have.

This is what I recall for now, and Alex could not say too much as there will be a press release tomorrow with a date for the event as well.

I picked up much positivity from him and feel from the talk The Munga will have a good future.

Alex did say that if anyone had any questions they were welcome to e-mail him at alex@mungadotcom

I think the lead time was too short and the cost to enter too high  - it should have been scheduled for December 2015 at a lower price. AH was still doing PR in Europe until recently and people needed time to get used to the idea and get training.

However another possibility is that the target market had bought into it fully - after all how many people do the Freedom Challenge and the Divide races? Very few actually. So 100 entries - if that is the case, was perhaps all they could hope for even at less than R110k a pop? 

Just read WE's interview details - sounds promising. I really hope it goes ahead next year...

Edited by Headshot

Alex certainly knows how to spin his words, and all the best to him but:

"he found that the international market were happy to pay good money to experience something that could impact their lives"

I really am stretched to think of any positive impact that cycling non-stop from Bloem to CT in the heat of the summer off-road in the dors Karoo can have in ones life. Quite the opposite, you risk being psychologically scared forever, if you don't die of sun stroke or dehydration. I really hope he has a PTSD disclaimer in the T&T.

Alex certainly knows how to spin his words, and all the best to him but:

"he found that the international market were happy to pay good money to experience something that could impact their lives"

I really am stretched to think of any positive impact that cycling non-stop from Bloem to CT in the heat of the summer off-road in the dors Karoo can have in ones life. Quite the opposite, you risk being psychologically scared forever, if you don't die of sun stroke or dehydration. I really hope he has a PTSD disclaimer in the T&T.

He was referring more to the expeditions, Munga is a challenge.

Yes it might be boring to some, I would have dropped that cash from day 1 if I had that kind of money, and I can assure you ,even with all the negatives you mention, one will come out of there a changed man.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Okay thanks, think of previous editions of the Crater Cruise where many have wilted in the dry heat for a few hours and a 100 k's, and that's only October. And I just think in terms of adventure, and experiencing the geography of the country, that route has the least to offer and is the most harrowing.

As other have said, even driving that route takes its toll. I have always tried to do that in the dead of night, so as not to notice.

Okay thanks, think of previous editions of the Crater Cruise where many have wilted in the dry heat for a few hours and a 100 k's, and that's only October. And I just think in terms of adventure, and experiencing the geography of the country, that route has the least to offer and is the most harrowing.

As other have said, even driving that route takes its toll. I have always tried to do that in the dead of night, so as not to notice.

The Karoo would actually be a fascinating place to race. The temperature varies greatly from location to location and from day to night. Further there are pockets where the wind howls and 1 or 2 km either side it is dead quiet. No one would actually have "home ground advantage" and there will be very little IP to draw on with regards to going over or around certain obstacles.

Furthermore the Karoo is not as flat as we are lead to believe. The fact that our national road was carved through the flattest section is a testimony to good planning and engineering and does not reflect the Karoo landscape.

Once you get Laingsburg the landscape changes for the second 500km and this is probably where the tactical racers would come to the fore. I have done some riding East of Touws River (there used to be an annual race / ride called the Leeuwenboschfontein 3day which I have done a couple of times). The landscape is dramatic and the terrain varies from kloof to kloof.

From the Hex valley to the Cape may take longer than the 650km preceding it and assuming that a strong field enters it would have had many glued to their seats.

Long story short: The route can be very fascinating if access to private land and other logistics are planned properly. Thinking of the route makes one realise how much AH have invested here in time (and probably money too).

Lets hope we see a Munga soon, all be it with a slightly watered down / wider spread pot and lower entry fee. .

The Karoo would actually be a fascinating place to race. The temperature varies greatly from location to location and from day to night. Further there are pockets where the wind howls and 1 or 2 km either side it is dead quiet. No one would actually have "home ground advantage" and there will be very little IP to draw on with regards to going over or around certain obstacles.

Furthermore the Karoo is not as flat as we are lead to believe. The fact that our national road was carved through the flattest section is a testimony to good planning and engineering and does not reflect the Karoo landscape.

Once you get Laingsburg the landscape changes for the second 500km and this is probably where the tactical racers would come to the fore. I have done some riding East of Touws River (there used to be an annual race / ride called the Leeuwenboschfontein 3day which I have done a couple of times). The landscape is dramatic and the terrain varies from kloof to kloof.

mitzi only cancelled this year's one recently for other reasons...it still goes on if you want to ride during those times, just a little less organised than before.

I have ridden an unsupported 6day trip from laingbsurg to wellington in mid december before, we did anysberg/LWB/ceres and we kakkkkkkkkkked off in the heat. it was a constant battle finding water. this race would all be about the dehydration.