The Munga Postponed - World’s toughest race faces a tough challenge

News bot

Okay thanks, think of previous editions of the Crater Cruise where many have wilted in the dry heat for a few hours and a 100 k's, and that's only October. And I just think in terms of adventure, and experiencing the geography of the country, that route has the least to offer and is the most harrowing.

As other have said, even driving that route takes its toll. I have always tried to do that in the dead of night, so as not to notice.

I think it depends on the person.

Take Jo'Burg 2 C.

Those first three days are as boring as hell for some, I love that type of scenery.

I quite like the heat as well, the rain can happen anytime and if to rains, all the competitors are going through the same pain.

It's a challenge and not meant to be a scenic holiday adventure on the bike.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mitzi only cancelled this year's one recently for other reasons...it still goes on if you want to ride during those times, just a little less organised than before.

I have ridden an unsupported 6day trip from laingbsurg to wellington in mid december before, we did anysberg/LWB/ceres and we kakkkkkkkkkked off in the heat. it was a constant battle finding water. this race would all be about the dehydration.

Yes, pity about "Die Leeu". I liked the informal manner and family friendliness of the event. We actually decided to give this year a miss before it was cancelled. With a 6 month old in the house it would have meant that we would have to plan very carefully.

You are right about the hydration factor, and I recall a flash flood a few years back the day before Die Leeu. It made day 1 interesting and the mosquitoes were something else.

Unless you are using a marked route it becomes much like a Cape to Rio in terms of tactics. Often the shortest line to the next checkpoint is not necessarily the fastest.

I love the Freedom Challenge for this very reason, but find it hard to follow at the best of times. A world stage with sophisticated tracking and extensive media coverage would beat any reality show that is currently on TV IMHO.

I think it depends on the person.

Take Jo'Burg 2 C.

Those first three days are as boring as hell for some, I love that type of scenery.

I quite like the heat as well, the rain can happen anytime and if to rains, all the competitors are going through the same pain.

It's a challenge and not meant to be a scenic holiday adventure on the bike.

Some people can take the heat while others cannot

I lived for 21 years in Botswana and have done a lot of adventure and exploratory riding in summer.I dont mind it as long as I have reasonable protection against the sun and enough hydration.My son on the other hand cooks and takes strain.Its not for everyone

probably a good comparison as i'm sure the daytime max temps are similar, how far are the waterpoints apart at desert dash (windhoek=>swakop mid december)

Some people can take the heat while others cannot

I lived for 21 years in Botswana and have done a lot of adventure and exploratory riding in summer.I dont mind it as long as I have reasonable protection against the sun and enough hydration.My son on the other hand cooks and takes strain.Its not for everyone

dam i so looked forward to those europros coming out of midwinter frizzling like this

http://brookwoodcafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Brookwood-Cafe-Maiden-Bacon-crisp-on-frying-pan.jpg

Hijack On

As an option there's always the Race to Rhodes in June, 500km 12,500m ascent, non-stop, unsupported, unmarked, map & compass navigation, breathtaking climbs & scenery, bike pushing & portaging, -10C temperatures, Vuvu chicken, Lehanas Pass, R6,000 entry fee, finishers whip.

Hijack Off

:eek:

It would all be about coping with the heat. When even your water gets too hot to drink, how can you continue?

Traversing the Karroo is an amazing experience, in an air-conditioned car and with no traffic

http://www.entopia.org.za/Gallery/Dec05-Jan06/Prieska-s.jpg

It would all be about coping with the heat. When even your water gets too hot to drink, how can you continue?

Traversing the Karroo is an amazing experience, in an air-conditioned car and with no traffic

http://www.entopia.org.za/Gallery/Dec05-Jan06/Prieska-s.jpg

Nothing wrong with warm water.....put a tea bag in it

Nothing wrong with warm water.....put a tea bag in it

Good suggestion, I can never have enough Rooibos tea when I am dehydrated after a long hot day on the saddle. But you might loose your grip on that $1mil whilst brewing ur tea.

TreadMTBmag ‏@TreadMTBmag 13m13 minutes ago

#mtb News: @TheMungaMTB CONFIRMS 2015 DATES

http://www.treadmtb.co.za/munga-confirms-2015-dates/

I wonder how many will be rushing out to pre enter?

I don't see why not

Those with big bucks or sponsors with big bucks and those with free invites will be there like a shot.Numbers will be the same again tho

Unless the whole model is rethought and worked for smaller field.450 wont happen for that kind of munny

Give Alex Harris a break - he dared to try something extra-ordinary.  Most of us are to cowardly to even try.

Hopefully once they have re-grouped and had a good think about what went wrong they will be back with a more workable solution.

All the best to them