2015 Tour de France

Frosty

Some interesting thoughts from Robert Millar:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/robert-millar-if-froome-rides-the-tour-de-france-he-needs-to-change-his-approach

The general consensus seems to be that the 2015 Tour de France route isn't best suited to Chris Froome and the Team Sky way of doing things. That may be true – he’s come out and given his take already - with the time trials being cut to a level rarely seen, but that won't be the 2013 winner's main worry should he decide to line-up in Utrecht.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Froome can climb with the best when he needs to and his adaptation to improving his performances against the clock has been a gradual process, which has affected those climbing abilities.

To put it in simpler terms, he's traded some of his natural explosiveness for a better time trial, and given the previous Tour de France routes, that's been a wise decision. The five mountain top finishes might suit Alberto Contador, Nairo Quintana and Vincenzo Nibali more but with a change to his training programme Froome can expect to see an improvement in his ability to deal with accelerations when the road goes upwards.

When it comes to training there's plenty of time to dial down on the time-trialling and bring in some specific efforts that will help Froome to deal with what the others are going to throw at him. If you can ride fast enough uphill everyday then it's very hard for anyone to attack, climber or not, and Froome has proved in the past that he can do that.

The big worry for Sky will be getting him through the northern stages in one piece and their tactics thereafter. Both are topics which have seen weaknesses in the armour. Their problem with tactics, or lack of, has been well discussed: no imagination, only one plan, and no adaptability, but next year's route doesn't allow a blinkered approach for the GC race.

There's going to have to be some changes made to the strategy, as and when any opportunity comes along. It has been a failing of the team in the past but it's not insurmountable, it just needs more lateral thinking.

The majority of the first week will be raced in a 'Classic-style' and Froome hasn't exactly been lining up for one day races too often. It's a very different skill set that's needed for surviving in Holland, Belgium and Northern France than it is for the approach to Plateau de Beille.

Unless he's put on a crash course (pun intended) of kermesses and semi-Classics in Flanders, he isn't going to learn what's needed. Nibali and Contador have the ability to survive as they naturally ride near the front and can keep their position without too much hassle, Contador might be concerned by the pave but elsewhere he should be relatively comfortable.

Quintana isn't fantastic in the wind but at least he rides well in wet weather, which is another factor to consider. It won't necessarily be sunshine and fair winds.

No, the biggest problem for Sky will be teaching Froome a few of the arts and crafts so beloved of the Belgians: jumping pavements, dodging street furniture, riding in echelons and taking someone's place not because you need to but because you know the other guy will give it up. Froome can't afford to keep losing five places on corners if someone gets too close to him and losing teammates’ wheels might not be too important on a normal stage but the roads aren't as wide in Belgium and the Netherlands therefore you need to fight for your position all day.

Massive crowds will add to the dangers and, since Froome's not been exactly sturdy if he loses his balance, he really can't afford to fall off. The opening stages are a nightmare waiting to happen when you're a limited bike handler.

It's not only going to be difficult for Sky to keep their chances intact. Nibali and Contador might have the skills but the French challengers won't be laughing either when they find themselves riding the Four Days of Dunkirk before the Ardennes Classics. Bardet versus Pinot on the Kemmelberg might just be as fascinating as it will be when they get to the Pyrennes.

No-one with serious ideas of riding for the GC can afford to limit themselves to just stage races and training camps as preparation for July. They will have to incorporate one day races and some of them will have to be up North, in the wind and rain, with the desperados and guys who have no respect for your person. It's not pleasant, but it's the only way to learn.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We just booked our trip to the Alps for stages 18, 19 & 20 (include Alpe d'Huez). Anyone else in for next year?

Won't be able to do next year, but just as a matter of interest, did you book a package from a travel agency or do you do your own thing?

We were there for the last 8 days this year,an awesome experience.If you don't have some idea about the area they are riding in, then I would recommend using an official tour operator (We used SportsInternational UK).

The days can be quite long so go prepared with some grub and drink (and suntan lotion)

Won't be able to do next year, but just as a matter of interest, did you book a package from a travel agency or do you do your own thing?

We have gone the non-operator route, from past experiences with other sporting events such as Formula 1 Grand Prix's I prefer to dictate how the show is run ;)

We were there for the last 8 days this year,an awesome experience.If you don't have some idea about the area they are riding in, then I would recommend using an official tour operator (We used SportsInternational UK).

The days can be quite long so go prepared with some grub and drink (and suntan lotion)

Importantly, can you tell me whether there is beer for sale on the slopes of the Alps during the tour? Otherwise, backpack with ice will be the action plan.

Importantly, can you tell me whether there is beer for sale on the slopes of the Alps during the tour? Otherwise, backpack with ice will be the action plan.

From what I've heard of the party on Alpe d'Huez, just pitch up at Dutch Corner in orange kit and you'll have more beer to drink than you can possibly handle. And depending how early you get there, careful you pace yourself so you actually get to see the action when the riders eventually get to you :).

We have gone the non-operator route, from past experiences with other sporting events such as Formula 1 Grand Prix's I prefer to dictate how the show is run ;)

Haha, I feel a "So there I was", but lets not derail this thread.

I think this is on the list for 2016 then :D

• 4 weeks later...

Team Sky leader to debut at the Ruta del Sol

Chris Froome has confirmed that the Tour de France will be his major objective for the 2015 season.

Following the presentation of the route in Paris in late October, Froome hinted that he was unhappy with the lack of time trials in the race route and was considering targeting the Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta a España. However after sitting down with the Team Sky management to plan his season, Froome has opted to focus on the Tour de France, even if he will face a fierce battle in the mountains against 2014 winner Vincenzo Nibali (Astana), Alberto Contador (Tinkoff-Saxo) and especially Nairo Quintana (Movistar).

Froome crashed out of the 2014 Tour de France but bounced back to finish second overall in the Vuelta behind Contador.

The announcement comes 24 hours after it emerged that Bradley Wiggins could ride the Giro d'Italia, possibly as his last ever stage race with Team Sky, as he prepares for an attempt on the Hour Record in June 2015.

It seems Froome will only tackle one Grand Tour in 2015 and the Tour de France is his number one priority. He pushed back on Oleg Tinkov's idea that the leading Grand Tour riders should all ride the Giro d'Italia, Tour de France and the Vuelta a España in the season.

"Of course, together with the team, we've had to prioritise some events over others, but the Tour will remain my main focus for 2015," Froome said in a statement published on both his personal website and the Team Sky site.

"The concept of doing all three Grand Tours in a season has got appeal but having said that, I know how hard it is to do two Grand Tours while targeting the overall win. At this point in my career I feel that the Tour takes priority. There may come a time at some point down the line where other races may take preference, but for 2015, it's the Tour."

Extra mountain training

Froome accepted that he and Team Sky will have to adapt to the mountainous route of the 2015 Tour de France. He is planning extra mountain training and less work for time trials.

"There is no doubt that this Tour de France is going to be a tough test, but I enjoy the challenge and there's no reason why I would be any worse off than any of the other contenders. It is our responsibility as a team to adapt accordingly so that we can be as competitive as possible there," he said.

"It's a climbers' Tour next year so I'm going to have to work extra hard in the mountains and spend less time on practising time trialling. It's also going to be important to be as light as possible so our nutrition will play a key role. There will be new tests for me as an individual, that's what I'm looking forward to."

Ruta del Sol season debut

Froome is training in South Africa after recently getting married to long-time partner Michelle Cound. He is expected to attend Team Sky training camps in Mallorca in December and January before making a low-key season debut at the Ruta del Sol in southern Spain in mid-February.

"I've enjoyed my time off, and now I am concentrating on preparing myself mentally and physically for the season ahead. I've started training in the warm weather in South Africa where I have been able to get some decent miles in on the bike," he said.

Froome will head to Tasmania this week to ride the Stan Siejka Classic criterium in Launceston with teammate and close friend Richie Porte.

This could be the best tour ever. Quintana, Contador, Nibali, Froome fighting for the win with the youngsters from France and Valverde trying to spoil the show for the top guns. Can't wait!

This could be the best tour ever. Quintana, Contador, Nibali, Froome fighting for the win with the youngsters from France and Valverde trying to spoil the show for the top guns. Can't wait!

Yip and they have to win it on the mountains, no playing it safe and waiting for the TT

Wonder if Nibali is still talking about a Giro - Tour double. The 2015 tour will be considerably harder to win than what it was this year. Based on the line up I cannot see anyone being able to target both races.

Wonder if Nibali is still talking about a Giro - Tour double. The 2015 tour will be considerably harder to win than what it was this year. Based on the line up I cannot see anyone being able to target both races.

Only 'Berto has committed I think

Prob out of obligation to the team sponsor

Edited by Huez