2015 Tour de France

Frosty

That would be the logical decision

However, the Tour is still the highest priority for the wealthy GC teams.

Let's see...

That's true.  Sky would want a realistic contender in his absence and I can't think who that could be.  Hard for them commercially to go to the Tour to just make up the numbers...

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A closer looks at the 18 'lacets' of Montvernier...

The final image with the lady with the pink top gives a good impression of how vertical that climb is.

post-22004-0-68801500-1414140785_thumb.jpg

post-22004-0-90096400-1414140807_thumb.jpg

post-22004-0-91015300-1414140820_thumb.jpg

post-22004-0-80819400-1414140975_thumb.jpg

post-22004-0-55719000-1414140988_thumb.jpg

"The kind of terrain Froome will have to face is not at all favorable for him. They've taken away the long individual time trials, and there are a lot of very steep ascents, sometimes finishes which - as a rider who does better on long, steady uphill climbs - won't be to his liking either."

"That said, I don't think it would be wise for him to reject doing the Tour, because sometimes the route will be better for him, sometimes worse, but it's still the Tour."

Delgado, 1st TdF winner on a Piña

Meanwhile, Belkin becomes LottoNL-Jumbo:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Really glad that the team have found a new sponsor, but not happy with how everyone is going for the whole yellow kit thing. In this years tour, the yellow jersey was already somewhat hidden by the Tinkoff Saxo Bank kits, and now this bunch of canaries...

The Marienne Valley – arguably the world mecca for road cycling

I’ve already mentioned my excitement about the fact that we’ll be seeing the Lacets de Montvernier for the first time this year.

And I think it’s now a perfect moment to look at what many roadies consider to be the greatest place on earth: the Marienne Valley.

In this single 80-km long valley lies some of the world’s most legendary alpine climbs:

• Col du Galibier
  • Col de la Madeleine
  • Col du Télègraphe
  • Col de la Croix de Fer
  • Col du Glandon

And these are just the well-known ones. Looking at Google Earth, there are bags full of other completely unknown and unnamed climbs that zig zag up crazy mountainsides, just waiting to be discovered.

Over and above that, there are just as many district dirt road passes like Sani Pass in the area, not to mention the summertime singletrack.

I wouldn’t be surprised if in a year of regular riding in the area (both road and mtb) there'd be no need to repeat the same pass twice.

“The Maurienne Valley is fast becoming a Mecca for road cyclists. It is known as “World’s largest cycling area” and few could argue with that claim. A multitude of cols and climbs are scattered along the valley, enough for even the most hardened mountain-climber but within the grasp of regular cyclists too. Climbs of 15 or 20 km abound; 1,000m or more are common place. And how civilised, a café at the summit to replenish those hard burned calories! With small, friendly towns along the length of the valley, quiet roads, considerate motorists and encouraging road-graffiti en route it is a delight to explore on two wheels.” From: freewheelingfrance.com.

This is just one valley. You’ve still got the next valley to explore, and then the next one, and the next. For example, Alpe d’Huez is about 3 valleys away on a 66km stretch of tar road that looks like cycling nirvana.

Here’s an example of just one of the passes in the area that we’ve never seen in a race: the Col du Chaussy.

Chaussy is directly above the Lacets de Montvernier. Once you’ve completed those 18 mad lacets, the road climbs further along the vertical cliff face. Dizzy views of the Marienne Valley lying below, and then on to the final section of the climb through alpine meadows. Total distance = 14km @ about 7%.

Pics that just make you want to ride!

post-22004-0-32271400-1414403398_thumb.jpg

post-22004-0-89755000-1414403408_thumb.jpg

post-22004-0-49086900-1414403421_thumb.jpg

Really glad that the team have found a new sponsor, but not happy with how everyone is going for the whole yellow kit thing. In this years tour, the yellow jersey was already somewhat hidden by the Tinkoff Saxo Bank kits, and now this bunch of canaries...

Just as well my club isn't chasing a spot on the Tour - yet ANOTHER team club with yellow jerseys  :whistling:

The Marienne Valley – arguably the world mecca for road cycling

to the final section of the climb through alpine meadows. Total distance = 14km @ about 7%.

Pics that just make you want to ride!

Your post will now be the basis for my itinerary for my 1st trip over there..... thanks tombeej  :clap:

Your post will now be the basis for my itinerary for my 1st trip over there..... thanks tombeej  :clap:

The town of Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne seems to be right in the middle of everything, looks like the place to stay if exploring the area.

OK this is the last one about the Maurienne valley and then I'll shut up, I promise.

Don't forget to take your mtb as well. A pic of the singletrack above Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne:

post-22004-0-25434300-1414419656_thumb.jpg

Got my flights and hotel booked for the first 3 days in Holland and Belgium :thumbup:

Go brag somewhere else...........

Jealousy makes me nasty, seriously though, hope you have the time of your life. :thumbup:

Got my flights and hotel booked for the first 3 days in Holland and Belgium :thumbup:

Sweet...

I'm due to be in and around Le Tour in the final week.

Looking forward to the big adventure.