World hour record

Shebeen

Faster than Bellville? Curious.

Yep surprisingly....also don't forget that hector norris is at altitude and barometric pressure has a huge part to play - indoors and outdoors.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep surprisingly....also don't forget that hector norris is at altitude and barometric pressure has a huge part to play - indoors and outdoors.

What we need to do is to get someone to stump up cash to fix Hector Morris.

Win-win situation!

What we need to do is to get someone to stump up cash to fix Hector Morris.

Win-win situation!

Agreed - in all fairness though it is really not that bad - the grass is cut, the grandstands and surrounds are clean, yes the track is bumpy but its not like potholed bumpy....

At the moment I am there just about every 2nd weekend as my two boys have been taking part in Jeremy Maartens' track sessions as well as the league racing...i think it is fantastic what Jeremy is doing and will support him 100% - the fact that my boys love it also helps...

Agreed - in all fairness though it is really not that bad - the grass is cut, the grandstands and surrounds are clean, yes the track is bumpy but its not like potholed bumpy....

At the moment I am there just about every 2nd weekend as my two boys have been taking part in Jeremy Maartens' track sessions as well as the league racing...i think it is fantastic what Jeremy is doing and will support him 100% - the fact that my boys love it also helps...

I am enjoying the renewed interest in track racing in SA. Used to be huge!

Agreed on all points.

Halfway through the back bend at 60kph is pretty hairy though - the yump on the racing line is interesting :-)

there's a relationship between altitude and performance for athletics too.

but only for short sprints. anything over about 400m and the lack of oxygen affects the ability to breathe well. For cycling the speed is so much higher that the lack of drag is probably larger than the lack of oxygen.

ie. the mexico city olympics had some legacy records (Bob beamon's long jump was one of them), and I think they're no longer ratified above a certain height - same way as following wind is measured too.

nice one Gert

https://www.facebook.com/ptscoach/photos/a.1752709638131056/1933957213339630/?type=3&theater

A big effort by Gert Fouche to set an Official NEW South African Hour Record of 47,023 km for the Hour

44247825_1933957293339622_32714153216547

I've ridden with Gert a few times (or should I say, I've hung onto his back wheel a few times) and so I definitely know just how much of a beast he is, but I've got to say I was a little underwhelmed by this result (Bradley Wiggins went a whole 16% further). But then again I appreciate that I know nothing about track riding, and I'm sure there are a lot more factors at play than just the rider. So I'd like to know from those more knowledgeable about these things, factoring in all the less than ideal elements that Gert had to contend with, just how impressive would you say this is on a global scale?

I also checked the strava file for this effort and have to say I didn't think the power readings were all that outrageous (he's not a small guy).

https://www.strava.com/activities/1912915801

Its not that I think I can do better, its more a case of I expected his result to be better.

Edit: An awesome achievement though and kudos to him.

Edited by Pall Catt

I've ridden with Gert a few times and so I definitely know just how much of a beast he is, but I've got to say I was a little underwhelmed by this result (Bradley Wiggins went a whole 16% further). But then again I appreciate that I know nothing about track riding, and I'm sure there are a lot more factors at play than just the rider. So I'd like to know from those more knowledgeable about these things, factoring in all the less than ideal elements that Gert had to contend with, just how impressive would you say this is on a global scale?

I also checked the strava file for this effort and have to say I didn't think the power readings were all that outrageous (he's not a small guy).

Its not that I think I can do better, its more a case of I expected his result to be better.

Obviously he is on an outdoor track so any headwind/tailwind + Crosswind will affect him, it being bumpy also is an energy-sapper.

Although the power numbers may not be mind blowingly high, keep in mind that he would need to sustain those numbers for the hour - so maybe he had some left in the tank? I don't know - maybe he was absolutely spent....try and maintain 250 watts for an hour solid....

Wiggins had a huge support team - access to the best aero testing, power testing and the like - plus he had a bike custom built (as did Jens) so all those marginal gains add up to a big gain...

If I look at what Jean Spies has gone through to start being competitive on the track in world cups it is massive - and he is still a couple of clicks off...to the point where the aerodynamics of his shoes and socks gets looked at in fine detail, the lubrication on his chain and bearings.

So for Gert to pull of his effort took some doing and I think the record will stand for a while yet as I don't believe we currently have enough people hungry to chase it.... 

Although the power numbers may not be mind blowingly high, keep in mind that he would need to sustain those numbers for the hour - so maybe he had some left in the tank? I don't know - maybe he was absolutely spent....try and maintain 250 watts for an hour solid....

250 is nothing special did 256 two weeks ago over 50 minutes on a local climb I considered that a bad legs day and I am just a slightly overweight funrider.

I wonder if Alex Dowsett is heading for another attempt - he did this at a local endurance event in the UK yesterday...  :eek:

That is a big effort for the off-season.

post-86413-0-80195500-1540700214_thumb.png

post-86413-0-55106600-1540700392_thumb.png

Edited by Tim Brink

I wonder if Alex Dowsett is heading for another attempt - he did this at a local endurance event in the UK yesterday...  :eek:

That is a big effort for the off-season.

Belgian Campenaerts is keen to have a go in the near future(he did a satisfying test just after worlds). But will IMO only be in at least 6 months. Dowestt might be keen to get in there again before.

Obviously he is on an outdoor track so any headwind/tailwind + Crosswind will affect him, it being bumpy also is an energy-sapper.

Wiggins had a huge support team - access to the best aero testing, power testing and the like - plus he had a bike custom built (as did Jens) so all those marginal gains add up to a big gain...

If I look at what Jean Spies has gone through to start being competitive on the track in world cups it is massive - and he is still a couple of clicks off...to the point where the aerodynamics of his shoes and socks gets looked at in fine detail, the lubrication on his chain and bearings.

So for Gert to pull of his effort took some doing and I think the record will stand for a while yet as I don't believe we currently have enough people hungry to chase it....

I agree. That's a mega effort. I don't know him but have ridden plenty on Hector Norris and similar track in Pietermaritzburg on a full TT bike.

Ignore the power value, to anyone that thinks its not so good. Go and try and ride at that speed on Hector which is *** bumpy as well. I reckon most won't even do 10min. Let alone 60min.

Chapeau to him and huge respect for going out there and doing it.

Edited by Alfa147GTA

Campenaerts to go to Namibia for two months to prepare and likely to have a go in Mexico in april

From a belgian newspaper(Gazet van Antwerpen) should be understandable for afrikaans speakers

Victor Campenaerts trekt op 2 januari voor twee maanden op hoogtestage naar... Namibië. De derde van het WK tijdrijden zal in het Afrikaanse land zijn seizoen en allicht ook zijn werelduurrecordpoging voorbereiden. Als alles volgens plan verloopt, trekt hij midden maart naar Mexico om dan halfweg april te proberen Bradley Wiggins van de tabellen te fietsen.

Campenaerts start het seizoen 2019 met Operatie Windhoek. Geen Ronde van Algarve of de Ruta Del Sol in februari, maar wel een hoogtestage van twee volle maanden Afrika. Tussen 2 januari en 2 maart zal hij zich in de buurt van de hoofdstad van Namibië voorbereiden op een hoogte van 1.800 meter. “Het is er warm, voldoende hoog om het nodige effect te hebben en de levensomstandigheden zijn er goed. Bovendien is er geen tijdsverschil met België, wat de reis en aanpassing draaglijk maakt.”

Campenaerts trekt zonder een soigneur of mecanicien naar Namibië. Hij wordt vergezeld door twee triatleten, onder wie Peter Denteneers, een topper op de olympische afstand. “Dat gezelschap zal nodig zijn, want het moet mentaal acceptabel blijven. Bovendien ligt onze uitvalsbasis op amper vijftien minuten rijden van de luchthaven.”

De stage dient niet alleen om het wegseizoen voor te bereiden. Ze vormt ook de basis voor zijn poging om het werelduurrecord te verbeteren. Als alles volgens plan verloopt, zou Campenaerts begin maart zijn seizoen openen in Parijs-Nice of de Tirreno-Adriatico om nadien meteen naar Mexico te trekken. Na een maand aanpassen aan de hoogte van Aguascalientes (2.000 meter) zou hij midden april een poging doen om het werelduurrecord van Bradley Wiggins aan te scherpen.

Lotto-Soudal heeft zijn fiat gegeven, maar de piste op een hoogte van 2.000 meter is nog niet gereserveerd. “Het plan staat op punt, maar het is nog ver tot april. Ik zou graag een slot van vijf dagen hebben voor de poging. Zodra de luchtdruk ideaal is, zou ik van start gaan. Tijdens de poging van Wiggins was de luchtdruk niet goed. Waren de omstandigheden wel ideaal geweest, dan was het bijna onhaalbaar geweest om het nog te breken.”

Drie dagen na zijn bronzen medaille op het WK in Innsbuck legde Campenaerts in Zwitserland al een bevredigende test af. Hij reed toen een halfuur lang aan een gemiddelde snelheid van 54,8 km/u. Sneller dan de 54,526 km/u van werelduurrecordhouder Wiggins in 2015. Die deed zijn poging in Manchester, Campenaerts wil het op hoogte doen in Mexico. “De hoogte vermindert de luchtweerstand. Handig aan de hoogte van Mexico is dat je meteen competitieklaar bent als je nadien naar Europa terugkeert, want je hebt eigenlijk een hoogtestage achter de rug.”

I've ridden with Gert a few times (or should I say, I've hung onto his back wheel a few times) and so I definitely know just how much of a beast he is, but I've got to say I was a little underwhelmed by this result (Bradley Wiggins went a whole 16% further). But then again I appreciate that I know nothing about track riding, and I'm sure there are a lot more factors at play than just the rider. So I'd like to know from those more knowledgeable about these things, factoring in all the less than ideal elements that Gert had to contend with, just how impressive would you say this is on a global scale?

First Wiggins was an elite pro at a whole different level of training support etc. just his chain cost more than most people's bikes to save done watts.

Gert races vets in SA.

Wiggins also did his record on an indoor wooden track with a controlled atmosphere. Way faster than Hector Norris.

Don't forget that Gert is actually World Champ for individual pursuit in his age group.

This is an amazing effort, and I would challenge anyone to go and try better it.

Campenaerts to go to Namibia for two months to prepare and likely to have a go in Mexico in april

From a belgian newspaper(Gazet van Antwerpen) should be understandable for afrikaans speakers

Victor Campenaerts trekt op 2 januari voor twee maanden op hoogtestage naar... Namibië. De derde van het WK tijdrijden zal in het Afrikaanse land zijn seizoen en allicht ook zijn werelduurrecordpoging voorbereiden. Als alles volgens plan verloopt, trekt hij midden maart naar Mexico om dan halfweg april te proberen Bradley Wiggins van de tabellen te fietsen.

Campenaerts start het seizoen 2019 met Operatie Windhoek. Geen Ronde van Algarve of de Ruta Del Sol in februari, maar wel een hoogtestage van twee volle maanden Afrika. Tussen 2 januari en 2 maart zal hij zich in de buurt van de hoofdstad van Namibië voorbereiden op een hoogte van 1.800 meter. “Het is er warm, voldoende hoog om het nodige effect te hebben en de levensomstandigheden zijn er goed. Bovendien is er geen tijdsverschil met België, wat de reis en aanpassing draaglijk maakt.”

Campenaerts trekt zonder een soigneur of mecanicien naar Namibië. Hij wordt vergezeld door twee triatleten, onder wie Peter Denteneers, een topper op de olympische afstand. “Dat gezelschap zal nodig zijn, want het moet mentaal acceptabel blijven. Bovendien ligt onze uitvalsbasis op amper vijftien minuten rijden van de luchthaven.”

De stage dient niet alleen om het wegseizoen voor te bereiden. Ze vormt ook de basis voor zijn poging om het werelduurrecord te verbeteren. Als alles volgens plan verloopt, zou Campenaerts begin maart zijn seizoen openen in Parijs-Nice of de Tirreno-Adriatico om nadien meteen naar Mexico te trekken. Na een maand aanpassen aan de hoogte van Aguascalientes (2.000 meter) zou hij midden april een poging doen om het werelduurrecord van Bradley Wiggins aan te scherpen.

Lotto-Soudal heeft zijn fiat gegeven, maar de piste op een hoogte van 2.000 meter is nog niet gereserveerd. “Het plan staat op punt, maar het is nog ver tot april. Ik zou graag een slot van vijf dagen hebben voor de poging. Zodra de luchtdruk ideaal is, zou ik van start gaan. Tijdens de poging van Wiggins was de luchtdruk niet goed. Waren de omstandigheden wel ideaal geweest, dan was het bijna onhaalbaar geweest om het nog te breken.”

Drie dagen na zijn bronzen medaille op het WK in Innsbuck legde Campenaerts in Zwitserland al een bevredigende test af. Hij reed toen een halfuur lang aan een gemiddelde snelheid van 54,8 km/u. Sneller dan de 54,526 km/u van werelduurrecordhouder Wiggins in 2015. Die deed zijn poging in Manchester, Campenaerts wil het op hoogte doen in Mexico. “De hoogte vermindert de luchtweerstand. Handig aan de hoogte van Mexico is dat je meteen competitieklaar bent als je nadien naar Europa terugkeert, want je hebt eigenlijk een hoogtestage achter de rug.”

Windhoek sure does seem like an odd choice for this.

Surely Joburg or potch would make more sense if you're looking for altitude.

But hey, Nam in summer. He is going to sweat.

Do they even have a cycling track in whk?

Windhoek sure does seem like an odd choice for this.

Surely Joburg or potch would make more sense if you're looking for altitude.

But hey, Nam in summer. He is going to sweat.

Do they even have a cycling track in whk?

Not sure about a track, and he sure will sweat. If looking for altitude, Windhoek makes sense though. It sits at around 1600 to 1700 meters, so roughly the same as Johannesburg.